Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
asthrab
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine.

Unread postby asthrab » 19 Nov 2017, 06:54

Thank you for quick fix, however; I found few problems again:
Colony Zod: After releasing Roland Ironfist the route in 1F is not opened + Roland didn't give any key
Silver helm Outpost: the key needed for gharik's forge is not in the chest
Prince of Thieves: Seems I can't find the entrance to the Free Haven Sewer? (already checked all House in Free Haven)

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 19 Nov 2017, 15:53

asthrab wrote:Colony Zod: After releasing Roland Ironfist the route in 1F is not opened + Roland didn't give any key... Prince of Thieves: Seems I can't find the entrance to the Free Haven Sewer? (already checked all House in Free Haven)
Fixed, apply new patch.
asthrab wrote:Silver helm Outpost: the key needed for gharik's forge is not in the chest.
Fixed, thanks. Chests are refilled each map's refill day or at first visit, to avoid waiting or reloading, execute this code in debug console, while you are inside Silverhelm outpost and reenter map:
Map.IndoorLastRefillDay = 0
kristal wrote:On the emerald Isle squad and the monsters fall on the shore.
Did they fall there during pursuit of dragonflies or right after map loading?
kristal wrote:In the Magic Shop sells weapons.
All magic shops sells and buys weapons with type "Club", it is original bug/feature of MM8, did you notice other types of weapons?
kristal wrote:NPC farmers to the profession is not enough, as in the original MM8.
What do you mean? MM8 had less profession names than mm7 and mm6, but i've imported them, full list is in Game.NPCProfessions[] array. Most of npcs from MM7 don't tell anything, because of lack of NPC news in mm7. There are three tables in "...Data\Tables" folder: "News topics - area.txt", "News topics - continent.txt" and "News topics - profession.txt", filling them in automatically leads to the appearance of topics for conversation among outdoor npcs. Those tables filled up only for Enroth and Emerald island at current time.

asthrab
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby asthrab » 20 Nov 2017, 03:46

it Worked thx!
For the silver helm outpost, this time I manage to find the "Enemies list" scroll for the quest in twonhall, but still can't find the key for gharik's forge

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 20 Nov 2017, 06:42

asthrab wrote:but still can't find the key for gharik's forge
Should work right now, apply last patch and try this chest:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4m6l12q4ik1e0 ... y.png?dl=0

the beavers1
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby the beavers1 » 20 Nov 2017, 11:33

Wow, this came out of leftfield, I will be really psyched to try it.
"Rot in Hell You Penny Pinching Miser!"

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 20 Nov 2017, 13:07

Some of the barrels seem to provide the wrong stats, at least in Enroth. A yellow one said it increased Accuracy by 2 but raised Intellect instead. Purple ones increase Accuracy, orange ones increase Endurance and green ones increase Speed.

Also, when I create a full party of characters, characters 2-5 start at level 10 instead of level 1 with 100000 experience points. Maybe this wasn't the intention?
Last edited by Phobos on 20 Nov 2017, 14:31, edited 6 times in total.

Steven Aus
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Steven Aus » 20 Nov 2017, 13:53

:applause: :tsup: :yes:
My Life Purpose Is To Teach The World To Fish For Life. I AM Steven Russell Lynch Abundance That I AM. Empowerment And Fostering Self-Responsibility Is My Game.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 20 Nov 2017, 14:39

Phobos wrote:Some of the barrels seem to provide the wrong stats, at least in Enroth. A yellow one said it increased Accuracy by 2 but raised Intellect instead. Purple ones increase Accuracy, orange ones increase Endurance and green ones increase Speed... Also, when I create a full party of characters, characters 2-5 start at level 10 instead of level 1 with 100000 experience points. Maybe this wasn't the intention?
Fixed in today's patch, thanks.
Phobos wrote:It also seems that I can't access any of the buildings in New Sorpigal, other than the stables. The Luck well doesn't work either. EDIT: Actually, I can't interact with almost any of the buildings in Castle Ironfist either. Only the stables and the castle can be accessed. The wells can't be clicked either. Is anybody else having this issue?
Can not reproduce this issue, did you use GOG version or local one? Was installation order same as in first post? Were patch and extension installed from my link or from other sources?

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 20 Nov 2017, 16:46

Thanks for the quick fix! And thank you for creating this merge - it's amazing! :D

Something must have gone wrong with my installation, because reinstalling fixed the building access for me. It seems the issue is over now!

However, the Arena doesn't work. I entered from Ironfist, and when the arena master tries to summon monsters, the game crashes. I tried the Knight and Lord difficulties.

I tried starting Loretta's Price Fixing quest, but for some reason, the stables don't provide a dialogue option for that after Loretta gives the quest.

The 'Rescue a Damsel in Distress' quest from Wilbur Humphrey doesn't disappear from the log after finishing it.

The Cleric promotions are quite interesting. If you promote to Priest of Light (this promotion is given by Anthony Stone as well), you can't get Repair Master, Bow Expert, Learning Master or Merchant Grandmaster, but these skill levels seem to be available for Priests of Dark. I guess this is because Clerics get different skills in MM7 and MM8. Plain Clerics can also get Master Light (yikes!). Likewise, Liches and Black Knights get slightly different miscellaneous skill choices than their Light counterparts.

The Northern Free Haven stables seem to take me to Shadowspire on Sundays :D

When you cast Town Portal in Jadame (I used a scroll), you can reach areas you haven't visited yet (such as Regna).
Last edited by Phobos on 21 Nov 2017, 12:36, edited 14 times in total.

asthrab
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby asthrab » 21 Nov 2017, 04:45

In Antagrich, seems I can't finish the rogue promotion quest. Every time I try to open the door in Lord Markham's manor, the guards won't allow me (despite already having the quest)

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 21 Nov 2017, 10:08

I don't know if this is intentional, but I think the ArcoMage games have 'switched' taverns in Antagarich, i.e. Harmondale's victory requirements seem to be in Stone City and so on. Emerald Island has ArcoMage, too, as do the taverns on Enroth. I don't know what implications this has, but most of the games in Antagarich don't give out any prize money either (does this have to do with the fact that I played first in Jadame?). I also wonder whether I have to beat all of the games on all three continents to finish the ArcoMage quests...?

Are the hirelings you meet along the way supposed to end up in Adventurers' Inn, if you don't want them to join immediately? Only the MM8 originals go there if you turn them down, the rest seem to just vanish forever.

When traveling between Bracada and Barrow Downs, the game throws my party on the wrong edge of the map. If I leave Bracada near the Red Dwarf mines, I end up all the way in northeastern Barrow Downs.

Are the stat challenges supposed to function in Antagarich? They only read 'Beacon Fire'. IIRC, the Dagger Wound challenge didn't work either (it said game of Accuracy), even though my stats were more than enough.
Last edited by Phobos on 21 Nov 2017, 13:59, edited 6 times in total.

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 21 Nov 2017, 11:58

Dude, what?! :oex: :oex: :oex: :oex: :oex: :oex: :oex: :oex: :oex:

https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/ ... 31#p360331

They told me it cannot be. CAN IT BE?!
[haven't read the post yet, too excited had to post, gonna read it now. maybe it cannot be
but maybe it can :o]

EDIT: Okay, I read through the topic. Amazing, if completely unexpected, job! Alas I don't have time currently to help with the testing, but I'm gonna stalk this thread like a psychotic puma cat and once I catch up with life, I'll be right on this thing.

Can I ask you (and guys who played it already) some questions meanwhile? Curious about this or that concerning the overall idea/plans :)

1. Character creation - how will this work? Will it be MM8 race classes? A mix of some sort? Does it depend on the starting continent?

2. Difficulty - if one finishes/nearly finishes a continent, won't it make the other ones super easy?

3. Are the transitions between continents free? Or is it basically a one-way street? Is there a technical reason they become available only after some event is completed or a design choice?

:oex:
Last edited by Echo on 21 Nov 2017, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 21 Nov 2017, 12:30

I'm having a lot of fun with this! It's especially nice exploring Enroth with an updated engine. :)

About the random hirelings... Could it be made less random so that you could more easily find the party members that you want? If you really want someone, it's a bit disappointing when the location is empty :D

Druids lose all SP upon promotion, because Great Druids don't have "IP" marked in Class HP SP.
Last edited by Phobos on 21 Nov 2017, 13:15, edited 3 times in total.

asthrab
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby asthrab » 21 Nov 2017, 13:08

Echo wrote:Dude, what?! :oex: :oex: :oex: :oex: :oex: :oex: :oex: :oex: :oex:

https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/ ... 31#p360331

They told me it cannot be. CAN IT BE?!
[haven't read the post yet, too excited had to post, gonna read it now. maybe it cannot be
but maybe it can :o]

EDIT: Okay, I read through the topic. Amazing, if completely unexpected, job! Alas I don't have time currently to help with the testing, but I'm gonna stalk this thread like a psychotic puma cat and once I catch up with life, I'll be right on this thing.

Can I ask you (and guys who played it already) some questions meanwhile? Curious about this or that concerning the overall idea/plans :)

1. Character creation - how will this work? Will it be MM8 race classes? A mix of some sort? Does it depend on the starting continent?

2. Difficulty - if one finishes/nearly finishes a continent, won't it make the other ones super easy?

3. Are the transitions between continents free? Or is it basically a one-way street? Is there a technical reason they become available only after some event is completed or a design choice?

:oex:
I almost finished the game, it's pretty fun! , I will try to answer your questions

1. Depending on which continent you start, MM6 will have all the regular classes from MM6 +minotaur, dark elves, MM7 will have all MM6 classes+ monk,ranger+ minotaur, dark elves as well

2. Difficulty is normal I guess? I think it depends on your play style, one thing I noticed is you can't access high level spell books in the first continent you choose.(I might be mistaken) Ex: in my playthrough, I choose antagrich first, I only can buy basic level spells in all spell shop, next I moved to Jadame and only can buy the spell books up to expert skill and finally in Enroth, I can buy all the spells.

3. In order to travel between continents you need to finish these quests:
For MM6 you need to finish the silvertongue's treason
For MM7 you need to finish the rescue dwarf quest
For MM8 you need to be able to access regna

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 21 Nov 2017, 17:35

I meant more whether you can just jump back and forth between the continents when they're unlocked. And whether it'd be easy to unlock them all instantly to, for instance, play through MM6 with MM8 team dropping by MM7/MM8 locations at will for a change of pace :)

Sadly MM8 is a very easy game if left unmodded, I don't know if there'd be anything to do there with a stronger team. Then again, MM6 was the only part that felt more challenging to me. I'd kinda love to give it a go once using MM8 mechanics and looks even if I won't access mm7/mm8 while at it. Excited for that :-D

My ultimate wish (by no means is it a request! it's just my MM-fantasy :tongue: ) would be a merge based on MM8 looks/engine that allows to progress through all three of the games with increasing difficulty. Either by allowing free travel between the three games and making all of their content progressively much more difficult (so it makes sense to visit most of the locations/maps before tackling those on), or by choosing the starting-middle-finishing one with each of them being more difficult than the latter.

Is it possible? Probably not. But nobody thought the merge at all would be possible so who knows :tongue:
Though I guess that might also require some new item scalings and whatnot so the loot is worthwhile. Eh, a girl can dream :D
Last edited by Echo on 21 Nov 2017, 17:43, edited 2 times in total.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 21 Nov 2017, 18:47

Arena, rogue promotion, knight promotion at Enroth, challenges and some travel issues fixed in today's patch, did few tweaks in class tables. Arcomage also fixed. Arcomage championships require to win only in taverns of current continent (11 taverns in Jadam, 13 - in Antagrich, no championship in Enroth). Wins are marked in the autonotes, but you'll have to play arcomage matches again after this patch. Thanks.
Phobos wrote:When you cast Town Portal in Jadame (I used a scroll), you can reach areas you haven't visited yet (such as Regna).
I'll look into it again, could not reproduce for now. Did some tweaks in Quests.txt, maybe it will help in new game or previous savegames.
Phobos wrote:I tried starting Loretta's Price Fixing quest, but for some reason, the stables don't provide a dialogue option for that after Loretta gives the quest.
There should be message before entering stables like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z7l7q8cc5oz6i ... Q.png?dl=0 , not topic.
Was it there?
Phobos wrote:Are the hirelings you meet along the way supposed to end up in Adventurers' Inn, if you don't want them to join immediately? Could it be made less random so that you could more easily find the party members that you want?
No they won't go to adventurer's Inn, unless you'll hire them and dismiss after. But even in this case, they'll disappear earlier or later (min - after 1 month of gametime if you've dismissed them in any unconscious state (dead, eradicated etc :rip: ). This system is quite rough, i'll look for ways to improve it.
Echo wrote:I meant more whether you can just jump back and forth between the continents when they're unlocked.
Yes you can, Lloyd's beacons working, sea travel takes more time. Though these travels are not justificated in terms of story.
Echo wrote:Difficulty - if one finishes/nearly finishes a continent, won't it make the other ones super easy?
Now it does. I'm thinking about adaptive monsters's stats, but nothing specific so far.

Echo
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Echo » 21 Nov 2017, 19:54

Adaptive monster stats?! Sounds divine haha :oex: :oex: :oex: :oex: :oex: :oex:

Also maaaaaybe if I could perhaps suggest something, some monster density for MM8 and MM7 to match MM6? They seem so empty in comparison, especially 8. But that's just a loose suggestion, you're doing an amazing thing for us here and I'm just excited :) Sorry if I'm TOO excited.
Last edited by Echo on 21 Nov 2017, 19:55, edited 2 times in total.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 21 Nov 2017, 21:03

Wow, you're so quick to react! I'm just so thrilled about this game :D
Rodril wrote: There should be message before entering stables like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z7l7q8cc5oz6i ... Q.png?dl=0 , not topic.
Was it there?
Oh, thanks! I didn't realize to check for that. I'll report again if it doesn't work.

I think maybe the town portal destinations were available in all of the continents because I started that game on Enroth? Enroth has all the locations available by default, so maybe it sort of carried over.

Balthazar Lair's new entrance doesn't have a video (the entrance that comes after deflooding); it displays an error message upon entering.

Oh, and Crusaders inside Dragon Hunters' castle were called Elgar Fellmoon and Jeric Whistlebone was called Cauri Blackthorne when I played today. Funny text error :D The dragon guards in Ithilgore's cave also had people's names.
Last edited by Phobos on 22 Nov 2017, 16:13, edited 3 times in total.

tomchen1989
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby tomchen1989 » 21 Nov 2017, 21:10

@Rodril I think in the original post, your daily update folder includes only the files you've modified on that day, and doesn't include all the modified files compared to the very initial version, which means if I don't come here everyday and skipped downloading some daily updates, some fixes will be missing for me, right?
Never mind. After re-comparing the files I think I was wrong ;)
Last edited by tomchen1989 on 21 Nov 2017, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 21 Nov 2017, 22:51

Here are some more of my findings!

Lich promotion seems to work weirdly (Vetrinus's one at least). When I reloaded the game where I had a Lich, my character's portrait changed back to the Necromancer one and his resistances started acting strangely. He doesn't get +20 Elemental resistances from the Lich promotion and Mind and Body resistances aren't displayed as 'immune'.

https://imgur.com/a/yDoFI

It turns out that my +10 All Resistances armor is causing Body and Mind Resistances to act up. 65 000 is immunity, I guess, so changing the value has these consequences. Last Stage Cuirass also reduces Mind Resistance from immunity to 64 970. When I visited the altar in Antagarich that granted +10 Mind, Body and Earth Resistance, Body became 255 and Mind became 225. My character was still wearing Last Stage Cuirass at this point.

Travelling from Regna by boat will result in a game crash. Luckily I got Town Portal!

The challenges still say I've failed them (even the lowly game of Might on Dagger Wound Island, char has 200 Might). Maybe the requirements have been set wrong?

When you leave Jadame for Antagarich and then come back, the Town Portal destinations you had will be forgotten. I can only get to Balthazar Lair by TP; the rest of the areas are greyed out. After I drink from the fountains again, they stay available for a while. It seems that when I spend more time on other continents, the characters forget about the destinations again. Perhaps it's related to map crossings?

Lucky hat changes into MM7's basic boots on the paper-doll :D

Some of the MM6-MM7 items can't seem to be enchanted with Enchant Item spell. I tried Scarab Rings, Magic Bows, Bronze Amulets and Emerald Rings. Actually, I don't remember having success with any non-MM8 item. Fire Aura works on all weapons, though.

Skills cost 0 gold in some MM6 shops: at least in New Sorpigal's Elemental Guild and the Traveler's Supplies I tried in Town Portal cities of Enroth.

Pilgrimages don't seem to work? I tried January's Might pilgrimage by talking to the seer, then going to Bootleg Bay's shrine.

When you reach 30,000 in bounties and gain the Journeyman title, you can keep clicking 'Bounty!' for infinite experience.

The chest in Tularean Forest with Pure Might potion contains bugged items. It's as if the game cannot find their image. I don't know what these items are, but a Philosopher's Stone and a Diamond were displayed correctly. Maybe bugged gold pieces or something?

A minor detail: Haunted House's paintings are a bit glitched graphically.

My 5th character didn't get any experience from one of the quests in Antagarich. I think it was the Warrior Mage promotion quest, because she is 15,000 points behind.

'Find the lost meditation spot' and 'Find the lost pirate map' quests did not disappear from the log after I completed them.

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think Bracada and Harmondale did not give out ArcoMage prize money.

I can't fly up in Nighon. Maybe something is wrong with the coordinates?

Judge Grey won't die for me... I've waited 5-6 months after fixing the castle, did Elf King and Catherine's quests and brought Judge Grey the Trumpet in May. It's September, and he is still alive and kicking :D Should I wait longer?

I can't seem to get enough of playing this! Overall, this gaming experience has been simply mind-blowing. It's amazing reliving my childhood games all over again in such a fantastic package! I think the only thing I'd add is a difficulty curve that, for example, would significantly increase the damage and HP of monsters on the 2nd and 3rd continent (and gained experience as well). Maybe the quest rewards would also deserve an experience boost, too, but that's more of a minor detail. The spells are also quite restricted now. The only way to get M and GM spells of Self and Elemental Magic is through Paramount Guilds on Antagarich; Enroth and Jadame don't have these. You have to rely on random drops and item shops, if you want to set up Lloyd's Beacon before changing continents. It's interesting, but the lack of travel spells (Fly, TP and LB) does make movement kind of slow. I don't know what would be the best way to introduce M and GM spells without making the game too easy; at the very least, it's a good idea to keep Light and Dark's accessibility low as it is now, but I can't help but feel some more Elemental and Self Magic would be nice to have.

I'll continue playing and reporting what I find. I want to help perfect this lovely game :-D
Last edited by Phobos on 22 Nov 2017, 18:26, edited 36 times in total.

Return to “Might and Magic”