M&M 6-8 grayface patch mp3 music not working (solved)

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Meldragora
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

M&M 6-8 grayface patch mp3 music not working (solved)

Unread postby Meldragora » 29 Mar 2017, 07:37

Hello everyone, I'm a big M&M and HoMM fan, they were some of the first video games I've ever played and I keep coming back to them. A big part of that is the amazing music, which grayface's patches allow you to play without the cd. Unfortunately, I never seem to be able to get the music to work. Here's what my current situation looks like:

M&M6 from steam w/ grayface's patch and resolution mod. audio files are in Sounds folder named 2.mp3 through 16.mp3.
M&M7 from CD w/ grayface's patch and resolution mod. audio files are in Music folder named 2.mp3 through 20.mp3.

I also have a separate copy of each of them with TCC and Maestro's Mod installed, and I have the same issue with those. Those also have the same mods as the vanilla ones. I've checked the .ini file of all 4 of them, and the playmp3 value is 1 on all of them. If anyone has found any solutions to this, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Last edited by Meldragora on 30 Mar 2017, 05:59, edited 1 time in total.

tomchen1989
Pixie
Pixie

Re: M&M 6-8 grayface patch mp3 music not working

Unread postby tomchen1989 » 29 Mar 2017, 18:38

r u sure you put "PlayMP3=1" in the "[Settings]" block in the mm6.ini file?
In case you or someone need it, here's my mm6.ini:

Code: Select all

[Install]
PatchLods=1

[Settings]
QuickSavesKey=116
QuickLoadKey=119
MouseLook=1
AlwaysStrafe=1
FlipOnExit=0
LoudMusic=0
AlwaysRun=1
CapsLockToggleRun=0
QuickSavesCount=2
NoDeathMovie=0
NoCD=1
FixWalkSound=1
FixCompatibility=1
InventoryKey=73
ToggleCharacterScreenKey=192
FreeTabInInventory=1
FixDualWeaponsRecovery=1
PlayMP3=1
MusicLoopsCount=0
ReputationNumber=1
DoubleSpeedKey=113
TurnSpeedNormal=100
TurnSpeedDouble=120
IncreaseRecoveryRateStrength=10
ProgressiveDaggerTrippleDamage=1
FixChests=1
BlasterRecovery=5
DataFiles=1
MouseSensitivityX=35
MouseSensitivityY=35
MouseSensitivityAltModeX=75
MouseSensitivityAltModeY=75
MouseLookChangeKey=4
MouseLookTempKey=0
CapsLockToggleMouseLook=1
MouseLookUseAltMode=0
MouseLookFly=1
MouseWheelFly=1
AutorunKey=114

[Controls]
Key38=87
Key40=83
Key83=69
Key36=86
Key37=65
Key39=68
Key65=81
Key88=70
Key81=88
However, if your MM6 folders are under "C:\Program Files\" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\" (normally they are) and you try to edit mm6.ini directly with Notepad or something, you may get a "Access is denied" notice.

Here's my complete settings: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jzxyddugujn5f ... g.zip?dl=0
You may consider this as an equivalence of Grayface patch's installation program.
Mouselook and WASD keys enabled. MouseLookCursor.bmp changed to a cross (typical FPS game cursor)
In mm6lang.ini this line's been changed: "PlayerNotActive=This player is not active"

The step-by-step instruction for players upgrading GOG version to Grayface version:
  • Download and unpack the mm6config.zip
  • Put all these files in the MM6 folder, replacing the original files, allowing the permission request if there is any
  • Move all the mp3 files (2.mp3 - 16.mp3) in /Sounds/ folder to the empty /Music/ folder
  • These files can be deleted or kept: audiere.dll goggame.dll MSS32A.dll msvcp90.dll msvcr90.dll
For players upgrading English 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 version, the steps are similar, and if you don't have MM6's background music as .mp3 files but CD instead, use tools like foobar2000 (http://www.foobar2000.org/download) + compiled lame.exe (http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-bundle.php put in "foobar2000\encoders" folder) to convert CD to .mp3.
Last edited by tomchen1989 on 04 Apr 2017, 00:05, edited 2 times in total.

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 29 Mar 2017, 20:45

I stopped using Grayface's patch for this very reason. Setting the .ini file according to advice doesn't work. The music will not loop, no matter what I do. The patch also cuts off footstep sounds. All the sound works perfectly on GoG's default version, so I just use that now. There's nothing in the patch I can't live without, in favor of not having problems with music and sound effects.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke, "Clarke's Third Law".

motter25420
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby motter25420 » 29 Mar 2017, 21:50

BMJedi wrote:I stopped using Grayface's patch for this very reason. Setting the .ini file according to advice doesn't work. The music will not loop, no matter what I do. The patch also cuts off footstep sounds. All the sound works perfectly on GoG's default version, so I just use that now. There's nothing in the patch I can't live without, in favor of not having problems with music and sound effects.

If the patch has bugs maybe talk to him about it. He's always been very willing to listen to people about bugs. Maybe I'm just taking it wrong but your post seemed to be pretty insulting. I think anyone that has spent as much time as he has trying to improve modding capabilities deserves to be congratulated.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 29 Mar 2017, 23:19

His post was mildly descriptive of his preferences, doesn't insult anyone's work. Although Grayface's patch help with some issues, some people don't mind playing without in prior of having sound and music, such as myself. And yes, if they report such problems, I think Grayface would look into it when he got the time.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Emjayen
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Emjayen » 30 Mar 2017, 00:04

I don't know much about how GrayFace has implemented his patch, however one thing you can do to rule it out being something simple is:
  • Download API Monitor (32-bit)]
  • Run API Monitor (32-bit)
  • On the API filter window, select the Capture tab then check Data Access and Storage
  • Go to File -> Monitor New Process and launch mm7.exe
  • Load a game where-in you'd expect music to be played
  • In API Monitor, go to File -> Save and upload the resulting capture file (e.g, http://tinyupload.com)
Last edited by Emjayen on 30 Mar 2017, 00:13, edited 4 times in total.

tomchen1989
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby tomchen1989 » 30 Mar 2017, 00:10

I've updated my MM6 configuration files pack as well as an instruction, the link stays unchanged https://www.dropbox.com/s/jzxyddugujn5f ... g.zip?dl=0
Read the my post below original post for detail

Added: By the way, GOG version's background music playing is rather flawed, if you've compared it with the original version, you'll know. I'll detail it later.
Last edited by tomchen1989 on 30 Mar 2017, 00:14, edited 1 time in total.

Meldragora
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Meldragora » 30 Mar 2017, 02:53

I think the reason the music for mm7 might not be working is because of how I ripped it from the cd. They're named as mp3 files right now and I can play them on my computer as if they were normal mp3s, but I'll try some of the things tomchen suggested first. If I have any success with that or any of the other things you guys have suggested I'll let you know

Meldragora
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Meldragora » 30 Mar 2017, 02:59

I was able to fix the issue for my MM6 by just copying the .mp3s from sounds to music. that was the way that the steam install had it set up, and moving the files over fixed everything. haven't tried anything with mm7 yet

Emjayen
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Emjayen » 30 Mar 2017, 03:17

It could be the mp3 format you're using for mm7 (although I doubt it) -- http://laserblue.org/mm7-mp3.zip try these.

Meldragora
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Meldragora » 30 Mar 2017, 05:59

Using foobar2000 and lame on the cd audio files worked for mm7. I haven't tried mm8 on my current computer yet, but I think I can fix it if I have any problems. thank you so much for the suggestions, guys!

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Re: M&M 6-8 grayface patch mp3 music not working (solved)

Unread postby Panda Tar » 30 Mar 2017, 14:39

GOG MM7 version, volume control for music doesn't work properly. It keeps always the same volume. Sometimes, the wrong songs will keep playing when they weren't supposed to, for any glitch when going in and out of a dungeon or so. It just bothers me at Emerald Island, mostly.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 02 Apr 2017, 01:42

MSS32.dll used in MM games can't play some mp3 files in a loop. One advice I have is to use constant bit rate when ripping music from CD.

I never heard of footsteps not working in my patch before. Is the problem present in both MM6&7?
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Cold Fingers
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Cold Fingers » 14 Jul 2017, 06:47

I recently started using the patch and before I saw this thread I thought I was imagining things, but footsteps do sound weird, like being cut off. Also does music not loop with the patch?

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 15 Jul 2017, 01:56

@ColdFingers

'Not sure about the footsteps issue. That would most likely be in the .SND files. I don't think GrayFace has ever altered those. As for music looping, I'm not 100% certain, but I think if you do "MusicLoopsCount=0", the loop is endless.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 15 Jul 2017, 03:50

I did alter foot steps sound code to make it actually produce sound in MM7.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Return to “Might and Magic”