MMX Legacy expansion or MMXI?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman
Posts: 583
Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Location: Up North

Re: MMX Legacy expansion or MMXI?

Postby Talin_Trollbane » May 16 2017, 9:27

Xfing wrote:Welp, I hope the next M&M game is real-time and not locked to a grid, 's all I'm saying. I've also said that this franchise has the potential to compete with Elder Scrolls if enough money and time was invested into it, but guess Ubi won't go that route.

Anyway, M&M games have magic to them that even Elder Scrolls games don't, I'd love for another one to come out someday in any shape or form.


Im pretty sure you wont experience another M&M from ubisoft, MMX didnt make enough cash for them to warrant more of them, pretty sure they will focus on Heroes games from now on.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

User avatar
Troller
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 25
Joined: 30 Jul 2014
Location: Danmark

Re: MMX Legacy expansion or MMXI?

Postby Troller » May 18 2017, 8:44

Talin_Trollbane wrote:
Xfing wrote:Welp, I hope the next M&M game is real-time and not locked to a grid, 's all I'm saying. I've also said that this franchise has the potential to compete with Elder Scrolls if enough money and time was invested into it, but guess Ubi won't go that route.

Anyway, M&M games have magic to them that even Elder Scrolls games don't, I'd love for another one to come out someday in any shape or form.


Im pretty sure you wont experience another M&M from ubisoft, MMX didnt make enough cash for them to warrant more of them, pretty sure they will focus on Heroes games from now on.


I think the Heroes franchise died with H7 and Vivendi is breathing down UBI's neck so they can't afford too many flops. This means might and magic will only be very low cost productions in the future or stamped on something else to boost sales.
This means we get mobile installments with micro transactions :-(

User avatar
Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot
Posts: 5635
Joined: 21 Feb 2006
Location: Florianópolis - Brasil

Re: MMX Legacy expansion or MMXI?

Postby Panda Tar » May 18 2017, 19:59

The overall vibe is ominous and a pity. Right now, I would be far more interested on a Might & Magic RPG style game than Heroes, even if the latter was the one I liked the most. It's just that the setting created for Heroes and possible future ones will not appease me. Might & Magic though, that might still come to get my interest. Well, if it was ever developed again. :(
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

User avatar
Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman
Posts: 583
Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Location: Up North

Re: MMX Legacy expansion or MMXI?

Postby Talin_Trollbane » May 20 2017, 10:15

Troller wrote:
Talin_Trollbane wrote:
Xfing wrote:Welp, I hope the next M&M game is real-time and not locked to a grid, 's all I'm saying. I've also said that this franchise has the potential to compete with Elder Scrolls if enough money and time was invested into it, but guess Ubi won't go that route.

Anyway, M&M games have magic to them that even Elder Scrolls games don't, I'd love for another one to come out someday in any shape or form.


Im pretty sure you wont experience another M&M from ubisoft, MMX didnt make enough cash for them to warrant more of them, pretty sure they will focus on Heroes games from now on.


I think the Heroes franchise died with H7 and Vivendi is breathing down UBI's neck so they can't afford too many flops. This means might and magic will only be very low cost productions in the future or stamped on something else to boost sales.
This means we get mobile installments with micro transactions :-(


Welcome to the modern AAA game making world, DLC's, microtransactions, bitcoin and buggy releases on day 1. :applause:

Also, Heroes died with H3 for me.
Last edited by Talin_Trollbane on May 20 2017, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

User avatar
Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 3712
Joined: 06 Aug 2006
Location: City of Griffin
Contact:

Re: MMX Legacy expansion or MMXI?

Postby Avonu » May 20 2017, 17:21

A question which I asked Marzhin about some time ago.

What is it with these few text lines and artfacts in MMX game files about a second DLC? I'm guessing it was planned but after MMX didn't sell well, DLC2 was scrapped.

Marzhin:
IIRC any patch adding new content was referred as DLC internally.
There was no plan for a second DLC like the Falcon and the Unicorn, but there was some early design for a larger add-on that would have combined with the original game like World of Xeen. It would have taken place in the Savage Islands and the final boss/dungeon would have been a Titan (basically the dungeon was the innards of the Titan).
The story would have run parallel to that of MMXL, you would have been able to take a ship in The Crag to go to the other map at any time (well, you had to reach The Crag first), and once both stories were completed, it would have triggered a final quest about Crag Hack's succession (leading to Tsuan becoming the next Pirate Queen, hence the reference to that I put in Bart's map in H7).
But this project never went beyond a validation of the general story and various ideas compiled in a doc, nothing was ever greenlit. Everybody would rather have moved to a proper MM11, and ultimately sales of MMXL were too low to warrant that.

User avatar
Troller
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 25
Joined: 30 Jul 2014
Location: Danmark

Re: MMX Legacy expansion or MMXI?

Postby Troller » May 24 2017, 6:51

Talin_Trollbane wrote:Welcome to the modern AAA game making world, DLC's, microtransactions, bitcoin and buggy releases on day 1. :applause:

Also, Heroes died with H3 for me.


I mean it died because there will not be another Heroes game as long as UBI holds the rights due to the financial state of Heroes 7.
For me Heroes died with Heroes 4 – it had a lot of potential but lacked polish just like Might and Magic IX. They could have been great but ended up mediocre.
I would have liked to see the Heroes 5 NWC could have made with the lessons learned – if they had survived 3DO. The only good thing about UBI Heroes 5 was the battles but the world map and town screens were awful.

I never played Heroes VI or VII.

Avonu wrote:A question which I asked Marzhin about some time ago.

What is it with these few text lines and artfacts in MMX game files about a second DLC? I'm guessing it was planned but after MMX didn't sell well, DLC2 was scrapped.

Marzhin:
IIRC any patch adding new content was referred as DLC internally.
There was no plan for a second DLC like the Falcon and the Unicorn, but there was some early design for a larger add-on that would have combined with the original game like World of Xeen. It would have taken place in the Savage Islands and the final boss/dungeon would have been a Titan (basically the dungeon was the innards of the Titan).
The story would have run parallel to that of MMXL, you would have been able to take a ship in The Crag to go to the other map at any time (well, you had to reach The Crag first), and once both stories were completed, it would have triggered a final quest about Crag Hack's succession (leading to Tsuan becoming the next Pirate Queen, hence the reference to that I put in Bart's map in H7).
But this project never went beyond a validation of the general story and various ideas compiled in a doc, nothing was ever greenlit. Everybody would rather have moved to a proper MM11, and ultimately sales of MMXL were too low to warrant that.


My last hope is that they sell the Might and Magic rights back to JVC – Though I don't believe they would set a price that he could afford.

Xfing
Assassin
Assassin
Posts: 278
Joined: 04 Jul 2011

Re: MMX Legacy expansion or MMXI?

Postby Xfing » May 27 2017, 23:24

Truth is, even Heroes 7 was relatively low budget, and according to many, a step back from H6 in everything, including the graphics. This franchise was bought for 1,3 million, Ubisoft can't expect it to be their biggest earner. I really hope someone with genuine love for the series acquires the franchise from them and reintroduces the old universe.


Return to “Might and Magic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 13 guests