MM10 old universe references

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

MM10 old universe references

Unread postby Xfing » 01 Aug 2016, 20:16

I haven't played the game because my laptop won't run it, and I don't feel like watching such a lengthy LP (LPers tend to miss lore in favor of gameplay anyway). Could anyone who has played the game quote or approximate for me some of the bits that suggest Ashan might be just another planet? I wonder if it's something more than just the customary character cloning prevalent between MM and HoMM even before Ubisoft acquired the franchise?

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: MM10 old universe references

Unread postby Avonu » 01 Aug 2016, 21:02

NPC Edwin:
Any astronomer worth his salt will tell you it's hard to get a clear view of the distant stars, even when you're using Dwarven lenses. I have come to believe it might be a side-effect of Asha's Veil which separates the material and spirit worlds. During the last Eclipse, evidence supported my theory.
As you know, Bloodmoon Eclipses are times when Asha's power is at its weakest, which is why the Demons can escape their prison and wreck havoc on Ashan. It also means the Veil is thinner than usual during Eclipses, and coincidentally it allowed me to make amazing observations.
I saw strange, wondrous worlds... Not just distant round planets like our own, but also flat worlds, moving through the Void like they were following some mysterious design! Need I mention nobody wants to believe me and thinks I'm crazy?
Edwin's notes wrote:Dancing Flames, 22th, 564
By all Dragon-Gods! I could have sworn my calculations were correct. The Eclipse should happen in one year's time. Not now. The only time the Blind Brothers and I actually agree on something it turns out we are all wrong.
This should serve as a lesson. Urgash is Chaos, and Chaos cannot be predicted

Dancing Flames, 23th, 564
Asha is resting within the Moon, and Urgash is imprisoned in our world's fiery core. Bloodmoon Eclipses occur when Ashan's shadow covers the Moon -- therefore, when Urgash eclipses Asha.
But I just realized that there's another consequence. If Asha's influence is weaker than usual, then it means Asha's Veil too shall be thinner.
If my theories are correct, this is the opportunity I've been waiting for -- the moment that only occurs once in a lifetime. It will be dangerous, but I've waited too long to hesitate now.

Dancing Flames, 25th, 564
The Demons burnt the Blind Brothers' observatory near Yorwick. I won't be able to use their telescope. I have to go to Kilburn. I hear the local lord is rather fond of astronomy.

Laughing Winds, 2nd, 564
Lord Kilburn is leaving for the Griffin Duchy, following a vision Elrath sent him. He allowed me to use his mansion's observatory until his return. This is perfect. I only need to enhance Lord Kilburn's telescope with the special lenses I had the Dwarves make for me.

Laughing Winds, 4th, 564
My theory was true! Tonight I could see the distant stars with a glorious clarity!

Laughing Winds, 11th, 564
As I always suspected, the constellation of the Dragon has nine stars, not just eight. To think all our star charts have been sporting such blatant mistakes for centuries. Finally, I can make things right.

Laughing Winds, 14th, 564
I spotted a planet tonight. It had oceans and several large isles. It's located rather far from Ashan, beyond the Void.
These lenses are truly a wonder!\

Laughing Winds, 23rd, 564
My hand is still shaking as I write this. I cannot believe what I saw. Yet I checked three times, with three different lenses. This could change everything. Everything we ever thought we knew, everything we ever believed.
I saw another world. I could spot mountains and oceans, and a tiny sun orbiting it.That world was right in the middle of the Void, and it was FLAT.

Laughing Winds, 24th, 564
I tried to watch the strange world again, but I lost it. I'm sure the coordinates are correct. Was it only a dream?
I heard rumours that a Demonic Legion was marching on Kilburn. The villagers are starting to leave, seeking refuge in the mountains. I cannot follow them, not yet.

Laughing Winds, 25th, 564
I found it again. It must have moved somehow. Praise be Asha, this was no hallucination.

Laughing Winds, 27th, 564
It definitely moves. I'm trying to chart its course, but I've never seen any celestial body moving that way. Then again, I'd never seen a flat world before.

Blood Moon, 3rd, 564
I'm starting to get a feeling that world is moving of its own will, rather than being moved by the cosmic forces that rule the Void.

Blood Moon, 7th, 564
I calculated where the mysterious flat world is headed. There's a planet there, just on the outskirts of the Void, in the same region where I had spotted the "isles" planet earlier. Unfortunately, that new planet is too far, even for my precious lenses.

Blood Moon, 9th, 564
The Demons are approaching. I can see the fires over the horizon.
I cannot put my research in jeopardy. I have to leave
To think I might never be allowed to look beyond Asha's Veil again...!
And also from Heroes 6 Danse Macable DLC:
Sandro wrote:First you will learn. Do you believe Ashan is the only world spinning in the Void? I know there are other worlds out there, beyond the Veil Asha has woven around us. I saw them.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 03 Aug 2016, 09:00

Holy cow, these references are pretty strong! As in, there's no mistake! Sweet, thanks a ton!

I wonder if he was referring to Cron, Varn or Xeen? Xeen was known to have been restored to a round shape in WoX, so could MMX be.taking place before it happened?

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 03 Aug 2016, 10:32

I don't think so. You can meet Jassad Attqua in Sorpigal tavern. He is a character from old MM book "The Shadowsmith", which IIRC take place some time after MM1-5 events.
Personaly I think that flat world was a CRON, maybe even the one from MM2. VARNs were always carried by CRONs and XEEN was tranformed into a full planet at the end of World of Xeen.

Return to “Might and Magic”