Tolberti and solo druid

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
the beavers1
Assassin
Assassin

Tolberti and solo druid

Unread postby the beavers1 » 21 Feb 2016, 09:59

Okay, ive managed to get to the land of the giants, got myself a fancy old weapon and now I need the ancient weapons skill. Problem is that tolberti kills me every time in one or 2 hits. To top it off I can't damage him more than he heals. Looking around the internet I found that the mass distortion wand is supposed to help alot, but I have no idea how I should go about getting one of those, those kind of wands are rare as it is, and killing dragons are not easy in the least with a druid. I killed the only two that were solo. So, any pointers?
"Rot in Hell You Penny Pinching Miser!"

Baronus
Assassin
Assassin

Re: Tolberti and solo druid

Unread postby Baronus » 21 Feb 2016, 11:12

Save and load :-) It is the best way. Save your progress and start save if Tolberti recover health points or destroy you. This is not game to solo play. It takes 5 min. if you save load.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 21 Feb 2016, 20:26

Done it with lvl1 solo warlock, but of course i do not remember how. Perhaps a wand or scrolls of paralysis (although those are not common either)?

the beavers1
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby the beavers1 » 25 Feb 2016, 09:02

unfortunately tolberti is immune to paralyze... and all light and dark spells for that matter

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 25 Feb 2016, 15:44

the beavers1 wrote:unfortunately tolberti is immune to paralyze... and all light and dark spells for that matter
GM Mace can paralyze him iirc. I agree with Baronus, you'll have to savescum to defeat Tolberti. I had to do the same thing when I solo'd a ranger and didn't want to spend 30 points on the stealing skill.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

the beavers1
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby the beavers1 » 25 Feb 2016, 16:09

Macros the Black wrote: GM Mace can paralyze him iirc. I agree with Baronus, you'll have to savescum to defeat Tolberti. I had to do the same thing when I solo'd a ranger and didn't want to spend 30 points on the stealing skill.
Yeah... i dont even have the stealing option lol!

Baronus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Baronus » 25 Feb 2016, 18:10

I think that Tolberti is too strong. To much abilities. Is hard win with him for 4 players. Restoring health points is the worst thing.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 26 Feb 2016, 07:24

the beavers1 wrote:
Macros the Black wrote: GM Mace can paralyze him iirc. I agree with Baronus, you'll have to savescum to defeat Tolberti. I had to do the same thing when I solo'd a ranger and didn't want to spend 30 points on the stealing skill.
Yeah... i dont even have the stealing option lol!
Well, you don't get the blaster when you steal so you probably wouldn't want to if you could (unless you rather not use it).
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

the beavers1
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby the beavers1 » 26 Feb 2016, 15:05

well I only need 1 blaster and I already have it.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 26 Feb 2016, 18:52

the beavers1 wrote:unfortunately tolberti is immune to paralyze... and all light and dark spells for that matter
Crap. I see a need to replay the thing to not totally forget everything.
Anyway some more probably useless thoughts. How about slow? A vague memory that although he often resisted, there was a way to slow him down. Rock blast can be used to shoot around corners and depending on skill points invested can do some damage. IIRC it was perfect for colony cleaning, but It may be difficult to hit Tolberti in the large room.

EDIT: I got like 1 slow out of 6 tries go through, but recasting every now and then slow + 2-3 wands of mass distortion or implosion (this can be spells as well?) might do the trick. They do not need perfectly clear line of sight, so real time and use the pillars in the room well?

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 26 Feb 2016, 23:54

^ I seem to remember that Tolberti can shoot through the pillars in his room.. Not sure though, and it could just be a bug in earlier versions only.

the beavers1
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby the beavers1 » 27 Feb 2016, 11:40

Macros the Black wrote:^ I seem to remember that Tolberti can shoot through the pillars in his room.. Not sure though, and it could just be a bug in earlier versions only.
he cant shoot through the pillars. at least in teh grayface patched version

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 29 Feb 2016, 05:28

Baronus wrote:I think that Tolberti is too strong. To much abilities. Is hard win with him for 4 players. Restoring health points is the worst thing.
I must cordially disagree; any number of classes can do more damage than the health restored. The worst thing is his Eradication ability; fighting him without a Cleric (or a Paladin sufficiently skilled to Paralyze him) is likely to be a complete wipe regardless of party strength.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Baronus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Baronus » 29 Feb 2016, 07:47

It is too iritate. Eradication plus restoring health is too bosted combo. It makes that better strategy is save/load. If you go to temple to restoring hero all your progress is lost. There is no sense. It is creators mistake. One ability is enough.

xenon23
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby xenon23 » 05 Mar 2016, 19:55

Tolberti is way too easy for a 4 person party in my opinion. He needs a serious buff. Killing one of the top baddies in 3 or 4 rounds (turnbased mode) is ... disappointing to say the least. Or perhaps light path clerics are just too damned OP?

On the topic of blasters, does earth resistance help? I recall testing this years ago in my first playthrough before walkthroughs and all that jazz and it seemed to me, at the time, that it cut the damage a goodly bit. I never go into blaster combat without it now and with 150+ resist I don't take too much damage even with a roomful of robots. Or am I simply indulging wishful thinking and the endgame is just way too easy?

Baronus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Baronus » 05 Mar 2016, 23:14

If game is too easy you can add all creatures 100% helath. Its easy. If still too easy ad 300%.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 06 Mar 2016, 15:51

xenon23 wrote:Or perhaps light path clerics are just too damned OP?
Compared to any other support build class? Yes. Clerics are the only thing in the game that make you immune to eradication and other forms of insta-death. If it's possible to kill Toberti in 3-4 rounds, just remember that it's just as possible for him to do the same to you without that cleric.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

xenon23
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby xenon23 » 06 Mar 2016, 17:54

Good point Bando.

How do I go about adding health? Might be something fun to try out.

Baronus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Baronus » 06 Mar 2016, 20:57

Table creatures using MMarchive or MMlevel editor.
You can use this mod do this:
http://blimix.com/mm7/
I suggest download link on Ch because it is only one old link.
Or Jeff Ludwig mod.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 15 Jul 2016, 16:02

Make this easier for yourself and get my balance mod, it's presented in a thread in this forum. Druids get GM in all seven schools in it - which, let's be honest - they should have had in the original game by right.

I don't think it makes them broken, as they still don't do any Light or Dark stuff, but this way they actually earn their slot on a team.

Return to “Might and Magic”