Strange MM6 Issues

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Snowbird
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Strange MM6 Issues

Unread postby Snowbird » 19 Dec 2015, 21:36

I've been wanting to play this game again for a while but I am running into some annoying issues

-Firstly the installation was bugged—it would only install without the "extra graphic files", but it finally installed.
-Game would not save—I tried fixing this by running it in Administrator mode, moving out the whole MM6 directory to the desktop instead, and trying different compatibility settings.

Now, at first, it almost always saved, now it almost always DOESN'T save, only sometimes. I have to save it extremely frequently, and once it stops saving, I either have to exit out, or reload an older save file before it lets me save again. It will let me create a new file and it acts like it saves, but it doesn't actually overwrite the old file or the "empty" save.

Also, anytime I enter or exist a dungeon, theres like a 40% chance the game will crash without even autosaving first. I am using windows 7 on this laptop. I am not using a compatibility mode of 98 or 95 because it gives me errors when I do and it won't start.

Baronus
Assassin
Assassin

Re: Strange MM6 Issues

Unread postby Baronus » 21 Dec 2015, 08:56

It looks like:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/10/15907
Probably it's operating system problem. You must search themes eg. "How to open Windows XP games (if you are using Grayface patch) on modern operating system". Like there:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/41610-mi ... n/59697904

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 22 Dec 2015, 02:12

For me, the antivirus program was usually the cause of all my installation/gameplay problems. You might want to check into that if you've got an antivirus. Using GrayFace's most recent patch would help as well (Current version is 2.0).

As for compatibility mode, I'd recommend running the game in Win XP compatibility mode. You might need to tweak your UAC (User Account Control) settings first on your Win 7 OS (Disable UAC completely)

Snowbird
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Snowbird » 26 Dec 2015, 23:05

Yeah I had already turned off UAC. Turns out it was just permission issues, because there are 2 administrators on this laptop and it really confuses old games. I just messed with finding the right place to put the entire directory until I no longer ran into permission issues. I actually beat it for the first time this morning, fun stuff. Gets a little monotonous at the end though. And might is perfectly fine... Always heard people say mm6 is more like magic and magic 6, but my Knight an Archer were both hitting for like 90-110 dmg per hit with quick attack speed... And I didn't have to do loyds beacon abuse like magic parties. (I did have like level 30 light magic + level 25+ axe though).

Return to “Might and Magic”