Regarding blaster weapons in MM6 and 7

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
zeus-online
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Regarding blaster weapons in MM6 and 7

Unread postby zeus-online » 11 Oct 2014, 13:14

Is there any way to increase damage on these weapons?

And is it possible to somehow get one with the "explosive" mod that bows can have?

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Regarding blaster weapons in MM6 and 7

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 14 Oct 2014, 14:11

zeus-online wrote:Is there any way to increase damage on these weapons?

And is it possible to somehow get one with the "explosive" mod that bows can have?
Skill determin damage for the blasters IIRC, the explosion damage part though you prob have to get via item editor.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 14 Oct 2014, 15:00

Skill increases Attack Bonus, so it doesn't help with damage. AFAIK, there is no way to increase damage.

zeus-online
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby zeus-online » 14 Oct 2014, 16:36

They are ridiculously overpowered anyway, was just curious.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 15 Oct 2014, 23:26

zeus-online wrote:They are ridiculously overpowered anyway, was just curious.
Only with Haste, only in real-time mode and you still won't be able to mow down Titans by the legions until you're at least level 85 or so.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 16 Oct 2014, 02:45

Hour of Power even at just level 20 GM gets absurdly overpowered (with Light magic cloak from Evermorn in MM7 or with the obelisk chest ring in MM6). Dark MM7 seems to have a harder time, but can eventually get there.

That or you just abuse the well in MM7.

For whatever reason it seems like the character in slot 2 is always able to fire these the fastest, regardless of what character I put there.

zeus-online
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby zeus-online » 16 Oct 2014, 05:52

Arret wrote:Hour of Power even at just level 20 GM gets absurdly overpowered (with Light magic cloak from Evermorn in MM7 or with the obelisk chest ring in MM6). Dark MM7 seems to have a harder time, but can eventually get there.

That or you just abuse the well in MM7.

For whatever reason it seems like the character in slot 2 is always able to fire these the fastest, regardless of what character I put there.
Afaik, hour of power only increases your rate of fire when it comes to blasters.
Xfing wrote:
zeus-online wrote:They are ridiculously overpowered anyway, was just curious.
Only with Haste, only in real-time mode and you still won't be able to mow down Titans by the legions until you're at least level 85 or so.
What does the level has to do with it? I finished MM7 at about lvl 80, and i had no problem with titans after i got blasters.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 16 Oct 2014, 17:30

I was talking about being able to waltz right in between them and not even bother to dodge, letting the weapons do your entire job. You would need a level around 100 to be able to do that comfortably.

Also, the blasters receive a recovery penalty from armor just like any other weapon does, but other than that, their firing speed is dependent on the Speed statistic. With a Speed of around ~50, you should get a recovery time of 18 or so. Haste brings it down by 25, I believe, and Hour of Power's Haste component has been fixed in Grayface's patch. Also, the minimum recovery time has been capped at 5, and in the unmodded game it was like 0 or 1, so it was indeed overpowered. This cap has balanced it out somewhat, while the blaster rifles still remain formidable.

Speaking of which, I hate the fact that there is no way to reduce the recovery time of shooting a blaster in a way akin to Armsmaster. You have to rely on your Speed statistic and Haste boosts. That's why I absolutely hate playing any class that can't get to a sufficient level of mastery with an armor to eliminate the recovery penalty. Paladin's Plate? A penalty of 15. Cleric's Chain? 10 . Since a Cleric is basically a must, I tend to just go for Leather instead, which the Cleric can gain Expert in.

But the Paladin? Dammit, such a haphazard skill tree he's got. All my life I thought that they could get Master in Chain, but they can't! How stupid is that? Even a goddamn Ranger can get Master in Chain, so why not a knight-based character who can get master in Plate? That means that if you're fighting with blasters and want no recovery penalty to bother you, you need to use Leather. With a Paladin. Such bullcrap.

zeus-online
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby zeus-online » 16 Oct 2014, 17:42

Xfing wrote:I was talking about being able to waltz right in between them and not even bother to dodge, letting the weapons do your entire job. You would need a level around 100 to be able to do that comfortably.

Also, the blasters receive a recovery penalty from armor just like any other weapon does, but other than that, their firing speed is dependent on the Speed statistic. With a Speed of around ~50, you should get a recovery time of 18 or so. Haste brings it down by 25, I believe, and Hour of Power's Haste component has been fixed in Grayface's patch. Also, the minimum recovery time has been capped at 5, and in the unmodded game it was like 0 or 1, so it was indeed overpowered. This cap has balanced it out somewhat, while the blaster rifles still remain formidable.

Speaking of which, I hate the fact that there is no way to reduce the recovery time of shooting a blaster in a way akin to Armsmaster. You have to rely on your Speed statistic and Haste boosts. That's why I absolutely hate playing any class that can't get to a sufficient level of mastery with an armor to eliminate the recovery penalty. Paladin's Plate? A penalty of 15. Cleric's Chain? 10 . Since a Cleric is basically a must, I tend to just go for Leather instead, which the Cleric can gain Expert in.

But the Paladin? Dammit, such a haphazard skill tree he's got. All my life I thought that they could get Master in Chain, but they can't! How stupid is that? Even a goddamn Ranger can get Master in Chain, so why not a knight-based character who can get master in Plate? That means that if you're fighting with blasters and want no recovery penalty to bother you, you need to use Leather. With a Paladin. Such bullcrap.
I think i face-tanked the titans, kreegans and dragons at around lvl 50 :)
Not that hard to do when all of my characters gets 3 instant-heal everything spells each day. You are right about recovery time, reaching zero penalty is very important if you want to strongest possible party.

I am using the GoG version, and dont have greyfaces patch so i don't know anything about that.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 16 Oct 2014, 19:41

zeus-online wrote:
I am using the GoG version, and dont have greyfaces patch so i don't know anything about that.
Download it, then. The thread is on the boards. It's a great patch that fixes quite a number of issues already. I've been reporting additional bugs, but I'm not sure if Grayface is still working on it.

zeus-online
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby zeus-online » 16 Oct 2014, 19:58

Xfing wrote:
zeus-online wrote:
Download it, then. The thread is on the boards. It's a great patch that fixes quite a number of issues already. I've been reporting additional bugs, but I'm not sure if Grayface is still working on it.
But i like the core game :S
Don't fix it, if it ain't broken.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 17 Oct 2014, 12:35

zeus-online wrote:
Xfing wrote:
zeus-online wrote:
But i like the core game :S
Don't fix it, if it ain't broken.
It's not a mod, it's a patch. And that's what it does - fixes what is broken.

Did you know for example that the Haste spell didn't work at all? Neither does Shield. Also, Psychic Shock does 12+1 instead of 12 + 1-12 per point of skill. Also, you get the Expert perk for Axe only at Master level. And so on, and so forth. The patch fixes many of these small bugs and errors.

zeus-online
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby zeus-online » 17 Oct 2014, 13:17

But haste works with blasters? I can see that the rof is greatly increased

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 17 Oct 2014, 13:31

zeus-online wrote:But haste works with blasters? I can see that the rof is greatly increased
Ok then, supposedly it was the Haste portion of Hour of Power that didn't work. But I think Haste was already fixed with Mok's patch, and the GOG version might have it applied by default

zeus-online
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby zeus-online » 17 Oct 2014, 18:29

Xfing wrote:
zeus-online wrote:But haste works with blasters? I can see that the rof is greatly increased
Ok then, supposedly it was the Haste portion of Hour of Power that didn't work. But I think Haste was already fixed with Mok's patch, and the GOG version might have it applied by default
Nope that seems to work too. Again, i am using the GoG version.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 18 Oct 2014, 16:58

I believe the GoG version is patched with an earlier version of Greyface's patch, rather than just the official 1.1 patch.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 22 Oct 2014, 00:12

Arret wrote:I believe the GoG version is patched with an earlier version of Greyface's patch, rather than just the official 1.1 patch.
Haha yeah, that must be why he's so happy with the game as is :P

Return to “Might and Magic”