Need advice/help with MM6-8 mod tools

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Logscale
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Location: Curled up in the Frozen Cliffs sitting on pile of books

Need advice/help with MM6-8 mod tools

Unread postby Logscale » 21 Sep 2014, 19:38

I've been looking into modding MM6-8 for a while.

So far I have gotten started using MM7View. However MM7View is kind of outdated and can't open some MM8-specific lod file formats.

In particular, I'm interested in rebalancing and modifying:
-Skill rank/mastery perks
-Spell and ability balance
-Monsters
-Items
-Respawn times

I currently have no interest in modifying sprites/graphics because I'm absolutely lousy at drawing. I also have relatively little interested in building new outdoor areas.
------------------------
My progress so far:

MM6:
No progress. MM6 doesn't appear to have an events lod file. I noticed that the size of the MM6 executable is roughly the same size as the MM7 executable plus events lod file, which leads me to believe that the MM6 events lod file is hardcoded into the executable or attached to it somehow. What a pain.

MM7:
I have mostly been using MM7View to modify MM7 events lod file. So far I have been able to change monsters, items, and respawn times for MM7. I haven't been able to find where spell data (damage, recovery, etc) is or where to change skill mastery perks. Help with this would be greatly appreciated.

MM8:
No progress. MM8 equivalent of events lodfile appears to be named EnglishT instead - and MM7View can't open that.

-----------------------
Other tools that I have looked at:

There's an MM6-8 level editor on Sourceforge that I have been looking at.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mm8leve ... velEditor/

However it appears to be mostly built for editing areas instead of balancing the game.

Any suggestions?

Ser Ironfist
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Need advice/help with MM6-8 mod tools

Unread postby Ser Ironfist » 22 Sep 2014, 14:22

Try MMArchive instead of MM7View. I created my MM8 mod using MMArchive. You can open EnglishT and modify it.
Modding MM6 is as simple as MM7 (actually it's easier, cause MM7 crashes a lot more after changing things). The only thing you need to know is, that the txt files like monsters and mapstats are in another lod file. I believe it was sprites or icons, not events.

Return to “Might and Magic”