DArcomage

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

DArcomage

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 16 Aug 2014, 11:59

So I ported my previous Arcomage game from using SDL 1.2 and C to using SDL 2.0 and D. Since the previous name "Arcomage Clone" sounded pretty uninspired, I called the new project DArcomage.

It's working well enough now, has all the features of the previous one, plus some new ones: there's now fully working sound, and walls no longer have their parapets drawn when they are completely down (but still have them if they have at least 1 point, so it's easy to tell at a glance if the wall exists or not). Also a few bug fixes from the original, like the tower no longer floats up when it's built.

Currently I'm only doing this on Linux, and you can find the source here: https://github.com/GreatEmerald/darcomage
Will make binary and Windows versions later.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 28 Aug 2014, 20:38

Here's a screenshot of a recent build:

That's a new custom deck I created using Lua (it's Touhou: EoSD themed :) ). While doing that I made sure Lua scripting works correctly. It does – and creating custom decks is super easy, you just need to fill in a sort of form to tell what the card should look like and do. No need to recompile or anything, too.

Another thing is randomised starting resources and victory conditions. You can change that (or turn it off) in Configuration.lua as well.

I also implemented hidden cards, at the top there. Actually, non-hidden cards were always supposed to be a debug option, but it's pretty useful.

Another very nice new feature I added is hotseat play! Actually, that was very easy thanks to all the backend splitting work I had done in between releases. Hidden cards work in that mode as well. One person controls one card set, the other controls the other (left tower is the person's who has the bottom cards).

Oh, and sounds, those are now back as well.

And now I'm working on particles. Already have the graphical part sorted, now I just need some additional information from the backend to be exposed to frontends. Interesting fact, the program only needs OpenGL 1.1 to display everything, including particles.

Bloax
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bloax » 29 Aug 2014, 17:12

ImageImageImage
Hm.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 30 Aug 2014, 07:49

Hmm? The card images I'm using are in fact as large as these, but I'm scaling them down to half the size to fit 800x600.

Yesterday I made structural changes that allow for resource up/down animations and sounds to be played sequentially. That makes a lot of difference! Now you can get a much better feel of what each card actually did, without needing to read the card description every time.

And you can get nice cinematics, too. One of the cards in the new deck makes every tower and wall equal to the highest tower or wall, and my tower was at that point almost up to the top when the AI used the card. Seeing all those walls and towers suddenly shoot into the sky one by one was something else :)

Salamandre
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Salamandre » 30 Aug 2014, 08:17

Nice job :tsup:

Fonts should be a bit smaller I think. I wait for windows version too. The one from MM7 makes my game lag, and yours looks even better.

I was thinking to make one for WoG but can't yet display animations in custom dialogs, so later maybe...

Bloax
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bloax » 30 Aug 2014, 11:31

GreatEmerald wrote:Hmm? The card images I'm using are in fact as large as these, but I'm scaling them down to half the size to fit 800x600.
Well they look pretty good scaled down too:
ImageImageImage
(in fact it's probably a Good Idea to use separate card graphics)

And mmm, you're really making me want to play this.

ImageImage
Hm.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 30 Aug 2014, 14:18

Salamandre wrote:Nice job :tsup:

Fonts should be a bit smaller I think. I wait for windows version too.
Thanks.

Smaller? Hmm. If you look at it, you'll see that the card names are in a smaller font. What I did there was actually write an algorithm that goes over all the cards loaded by the Lua scripts, and tests whether or not the title fits into the card, and then selects a font size just for that (with 10 being the starting point at 800x600). But I'm only using that for the title, not the description, because the description has another algorithm that breaks up the words whenever the text doesn't fit into one line. When it comes to Misdirection, it's indeed pushing the limits, though, and ultimately I want the game to be compatible with MArcomage cards as well, which has cards like Alucard:
"Attack: 35; If #different keywords in hand > #different keywords in opponent's hand, Attack: 30"
Which is huge.
So I'll have to think of something...

In fact, I already have a ticket for it: https://github.com/GreatEmerald/darcomage/issues/12
Bloax wrote:(in fact it's probably a Good Idea to use separate card graphics)
I'm already doing that. Well, you have to edit this file, but that's all there is to it, you don't need to recompile or anything:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Great ... prites.PNG

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 21 Sep 2014, 11:24

Just noting that I'm continuing to work on it, currently doing some card porting from MArcomage, already got nice particles going:

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 28 Sep 2014, 13:43

And now there are white and black cards:

Black cards cost nothing to play, whereas white cards cost all resources equally.

Still need to implement cyan, magenta and yellow cards for mixed cost between two resource types, but that requires new graphics, hm.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

No cost

Unread postby tolich » 02 Oct 2014, 18:28

IIRC, there the original game had a green card without cost (i.e. 0 monsters). Black cards are so redundant.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 10 Nov 2014, 18:08

Yes, and several, not only green. But this is for MArcomage compatiblity, which uses grey (black in my case, it makes more sense to me) to mean zero cost. There it has more of a meaning, because some cards have different effect depending on how many black cards you have in hand or whether the last card you played was black etc.

Anyway, I'm now really close to release! Just got it compiled as a dynamic library on Linux. So the only thing left is to compile it for Windows in a VM and release it.

I was mostly blocked before by my website being down, but now I put it back up (in my own domain, too)! I also made Arcomage into its own menu entry: http://greatemerald.eu/

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 15 Nov 2014, 00:24

Ok, this has piqued my interest surely, but one question: are you planning to keep the original MM8 deck in addition to the new cards? I really liked that deck.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 15 Nov 2014, 09:13

Yeap. In lua/CardPools.lua, you can set which deck(s) you want to have enabled. You can have the original, MArcomage, Touhou, or any combination of the three enabled at once. And you can make your own, too.

Though ideally the deck would use non-original graphics for copyright reasons... I'm just not too sure how to achieve that. Help would be appreciated :)

Currently I'm working on packaging it. If all goes well, people on Linux should be able to install it by simply running "zypper install darcomage" or an equivalent. Then I'll look into Windows support. Since I'm using CMake to create it, I could even quite easily make an installer for it.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 11 Dec 2014, 20:27

And now it's released! Here's the preview video covering the most important changes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7fZb3MRvkA

And you can download the game here:
http://greatemerald.eu/index.php/arcomage/136-darcomage

Return to “Might and Magic”