Gamescom 2013

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Gamescom 2013

Unread postby Tress » 27 Aug 2013, 13:30

As you know, there was annual Gamescom even at cologne, which had previev of upciming mm titles - MMX:legacy, heroes online, duel of champions.

Some cos player personal.

[rul=http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/7139/y719.jpg]Image[/url]
MM section of exhibit.

First of all I would like to express my gratitude to Kalah and Ubi soft team for possibility to visit.
First part of event was introduction to Development team, which unfortunately I missed however during the day I was able to converse with several of them, which at least to me gave (contrary to popular notion )impression that they are not detached from rest of fanbase. and they had more or less decent explanations to common poiints that are often picked up when discussion regarding fact that MM:X is too far detached from series.

First of all little overview of all MM games. Feel free to ask any questions regarding my expirience playing them.
Might magic: Legacy
As MM fan of course this was my first stop. First of all, I was not familiarized with mm 10 in any playable for before trip (I did not tried early access prior) so this was my first impressions. Unfortunately demo was in german language so that was bit setback and thus I was not able to deeply gety involved with details, but I was able to get impression of game. Demo it self was fairly short as most presentations at such events (10 minutes), consisting of small dungeon, and finall boss.
Even though many who wanted already checked early access, so checking it out that way will probably give you more up to date impression, but I will still give my impressions on demo anyway.
Game seemed pretty tactical, give fight flow to be more reminiscent of wizardry 8, where you dont just run past enemies due to grid based nature of game. Also despite fact that many compare with Grimrock, fact that game is TB, gives fundamental difference to feel, as opposed to free movement of Grimrock/classic EoB series.
Game utilizes quick slot system as most MMoRPG's theese days, which makes for faster gameplay and doesnt force to seek that universal spell, as only quick spell, which in classic games made situational spells like spirit lash not that used.
Opposed to classic MM games I never felt need to rest that much, which in demo it was suggested to rest frequently after each encounter. Personally I would prefer game play pacing where that is not necessary however that is matter of taste. All in all it worth checking game, or at least check it when it becomes more available.

Random dungeon encounter from demo.

Naga boss. Did not managed to defeat him as time ran out and I already had spent much of my resources. According to devs, boss was not defeat-able head on and there was some trick to it.

2) Heroes Online

As for game itself I was not that much expecting, since I am as 6 year wow player,so any game with suffix - online can make one tired.
Gameplay in a nutshell is pretty much like new Kings bounty. We walk around buy creatures, take quests, get xp, fight. There is some tactical nuances from classic heroes gameplay like shooters can be blocked by LoS, there is possibility to flank creatures, whcih makes for more tactical gameplay. As far as I checked, if one is heroes fan and are not sick of online games, it could be checked out.

Fans playing Heroes:online. Green T-shirt is fan shirt, we all gotten.

3) Duel of Champions.
Well to say I was not looking forward to this game as I dont like card games on PC, so it was last game I checked, however it was surprisingly interesting. Depending on monetization model (how far it is pay to win, how rare are best cards, etc), it is worth checking out.
Game play could be described as mutated MTG, as it bears many similarities like We have hero with 20 HP(isnt that a funny coincidence for such number...) and similar. There however is 2 mayor differences from MTG
a) Resources are not picked up as cards like lands, instead each turn you can increase one of your stats. Also some cards in addition to resources in pool requires static amount of stat. For example you need 4 magic stat to cast a spell which costs only few mana points.
b) Very central element is positioning on battlefield. Each side have 2 rows with 4 lines, so you can have 8 creatures on table. This have several implications. Creatures can attack other creatures on same row, and same with blocking(in fact blocking thus is automatic.), thus if row is clear, enemy hero is open for damage despite fact that he may have creatures available. Second is that game features AoE spells which also takes positioning and even friendly fire into account.

As part of day, we could talk with developers like Julien, Erwan and comunity managers like Arnaud.
Me with Arnaud and Julien. We pestered Julien so long until someone saved him by calling him to business section.

Me with Erwan.

Had some opportunity to have session of smalltalk regarding MM universe with Julien, regarding changes from classic MM games, and similar topics until he was saved from our pestering by being called to section of exibit. Since it wasnt strictly Q&A format talk then I probably wont be able to list all answers he gave me, possibliy I will give some summary of things we disucseed. Of course one of main questions which all wanted to hear is : will there be MM RPG of better budget and scale - unfortunatelly people on dev level could not answer this question at this point and probably poeple who give go decisions wont be as well at this point.

Some pictures from even that took place after main day exibition, which was organized for invited fans.

Something to eat.

Something to drink. Its not mana potion.... at least I dont think it is.

Xdarkon
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Xdarkon » 27 Aug 2013, 13:32

Wow! I hope Heroes Online is going to be good.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Aug 2013, 15:39

Great post! :)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Kristo
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Kristo » 27 Aug 2013, 15:53

Awesome stuff! Thanks for sharing it with us.
Peace. Love. Penguin.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 27 Aug 2013, 17:55

Nice report, thanks a million!
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Raven-sb
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Raven-sb » 28 Aug 2013, 05:41

Thanks for sharing your Gamescom experiences tress. Looks like you had a great time!

Outta all of those games the one that interests me the most is M&M X. I've just picked up early access to it and I'm loving it. It's like playing an updated Xeen game.

Be interested to hear what the Dev's have to say about the current state of the M&M games. A lot of the fanbase seems to be disillusioned with Ubisoft, I hope they can turn things around. To me M&M X is a step in the right direction.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 02 Sep 2013, 07:29

Edited it to keep it a little bit more readable.
Good post, thanks :)
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 02 Sep 2013, 08:01

Mirez wrote:Edited it to keep it a little bit more readable.
Good post, thanks :)
Thanks.
Something not right with one the pictures. Will reupload it shortly, and reedit it in post. It used to be fine when I first posted it.

koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby koval321 » 05 Sep 2013, 19:02

In classic xeen am used beacon, escape and recall so I could skip monster (because now I was behind monster who block corridor) Or am walk into water and shoot at monster waiting like stupid at land. Not sure its called "tactic" or maybe "dirty tricks" (its like trying to cheat knowing game limitations)

Return to “Might and Magic”