lore questions

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
antipaladin
Peasant
Peasant

lore questions

Unread postby antipaladin » 03 Jul 2013, 19:11

i've mennegd to run mm7 on win8 64 bit and remmberd that i dont know few lore things,so ima gona ask...
the barrow downs. why is it infested with undead. whos mannor is that ?
the stone city dwarfs,are aligned with rampart dwarfs?
why is deyja a goblin based town,isent it a bit rascit to define all goblin are necromancers? wont goblins suck at necromancy due to recial stats?
why are titans and behemoths aligned with eofull? i remmberd i dont know that..

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: lore questions

Unread postby Avonu » 03 Jul 2013, 19:38

antipaladin wrote:the barrow downs. why is it infested with undead. whos mannor is that?
O dpn't remember exacly, but I think when Nighon Overlords during D&D H3 campaign lowered all these lands and "awakned" ghosts from barrows.
As for manor, judging by picture in it, it was Ingham's manor.
antipaladin wrote:the stone city dwarfs,are aligned with rampart dwarfs?
Yes and no. Stone City is independent kingdom (I think it was even mentioned in H3) but these Dwarves are related to AvLee Dwarves.
antipaladin wrote:why is deyja a goblin based town,isent it a bit rascit to define all goblin are necromancers? wont goblins suck at necromancy due to recial stats?
They live in Mouldur and in Deyja, that's all. If you visit the Pit (necromancers' capital), you will see that citizents there are mainly undead (and few goblins).
antipaladin wrote:why are titans and behemoths aligned with eofull? i remmberd i dont know that..
They are not. Land of the Giants and Tunnels to Eeoful (Country name has double "E") are wild areas. The Kreegan has their main base there but it is remote place and choosen because of roaming Titans, Dragons and Behemoths. It is natural defense for Devils from Erathian and AvLee military (not that it helped much at the end ;) ).
Land of the Giants is like Dragonsand from MM6 - wild zone when only the strongest beasts are roaming and no one sane (or powerful enough) go there.

antipaladin
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby antipaladin » 03 Jul 2013, 20:11

okay,another question,dark elfs from mm8 are not mentioned anyware earlier,same for dark dwarfs,but there is a tremendouse differnce between the two in mm lore and D-D lore.
but jademe really isent mentioned anyware. i think it does mentioned though that regna is gone,but u do encouter regnish basterds in mm8
also the war between humanes and elfs,i dont think is eleborated on enought,dont you agree?

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 03 Jul 2013, 20:29

antipaladin wrote:okay,another question,dark elfs from mm8 are not mentioned anyware earlier,same for dark dwarfs,but there is a tremendouse differnce between the two in mm lore and D-D lore.
Dark Elves are only mentioned in MM8. They are not like Drows, they rule by Trading Company that monopolized all Jadame
antipaladin wrote:but jademe really isent mentioned anyware. i think it does mentioned though that regna is gone,but u do encouter regnish basterds in mm8
No, Jadame is a new thing in MM8, created for this game. Althrough Regna was created at times of MM6, we see it at last in MM8.
antipaladin wrote:also the war between humanes and elfs,i dont think is eleborated on enought,dont you agree?
Which one? This one from MM7 or Timber Wars? History of Timber Wars and Contest Lands was posted on official forum when H3 and MM7 came out and it is quite detailed.
As for MM7 Erathia-AvLee conflict, it begins with bonus campaign in H3 and was later mentioned in Archibald's diary in MM7 manual. And the rest of conflict is history which you create.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 03 Jul 2013, 20:38

the barrow downs. why is it infested with undead
Its what barrows do. It's their thing, haven't you red LOTR. On Serious note - that is direct reffernce to LOTR, so aside from that its just haunted barrows.

okay,another question,dark elfs from mm8 are not mentioned anyware earlier,same for dark dwarfs,but there is a tremendouse differnce between the two in mm lore and D-D lore.
Well every universe writes dark elves and elves in general as they feel like it. D&D drow are sociopathitc ebony skinned,, spider worshipign super soldiers, while warhammer and homm 5/6 use somewhat different concept and back story. It's mm designers choice to make them as they feel like it, It's bit worse than those concepts are never used past that however nor properly elaborated.
but jademe really isent mentioned anyware. i think it does mentioned though that regna is gone,but u do encouter regnish basterds in mm8
Jadame was introduced as next continent for mm setting, aside from positioning Regna(which was mentioned in games starting mm6) there was no conections.
also the war between humanes and elfs,i dont think is eleborated on enought,dont you agree?
If you mean one in mm7 then yes and no. Yes because it never goes anywhere past 1 entry on diary, and no because it gave some extra feel for game when you had no idea how will engame turn out. Basically war was sort of red herring. War was positioned as somewhat central concept for game plot, so unlike mm6 where you knew that eventually you will fight devils and that will be it, while in mm7 you had no idea what how plot will advance and that war in fact will be just side story to main plot, and that gave some extra feel for that game.
Last edited by Tress on 03 Jul 2013, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.

antipaladin
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby antipaladin » 03 Jul 2013, 20:41

regna was mentioned in mm7 as destoryed if im not mistaken by one of the leather artifects\relics.
there is not enought elleboration on dark elfs and dark dwarfs and they're fitting in the lore. i mean,we know they are rouges\merchants\swordsman type.
while dark dwarfs are evil earth worshipers who want to see the world burn?

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 03 Jul 2013, 20:50

antipaladin wrote:regna was mentioned in mm7 as destoryed if im not mistaken by one of the leather artifects\relics.
There is no such thing in MM6-8 lore. You probably mean that Hareck I, creator of Regnan Empire, was poisoned by his wife Charele... or maybe about Undersea Triton Empire which in fact was destroyed - but it was mentioned in MM8 artifact description.
antipaladin wrote:while dark dwarfs are evil earth worshipers who want to see the world burn?
They do not worship a earth elemental, they may or may not work for it. Dark Dwarves are just a greedy "clan" of Dwarves... well, more greedy then normal Dwarves :P

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Re: lore questions

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 03 Jul 2013, 21:42

Avonu wrote:Land of the Giants and Tunnels to Eeoful (Country name has double "E") are wild areas.
Eeofol :P

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 04 Jul 2013, 00:15

Try to write post with half-broken keybord and when your only light source is monitor - I dare you. :P

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 04 Jul 2013, 09:05

Try to write post with half-broken keybord and when your only light source is monitor - I dare you. :P
On-screen keyboard? Not that 1 letter typo is that much. It's way better than when I fought autocorrect for my smartphone while I chated on facebook... drunk...
regna was mentioned in mm7 as destoryed if im not mistaken by one of the leather artifects\relics.
there is not enought elleboration on dark elfs and dark dwarfs and they're fitting in the lore. i mean,we know they are rouges\merchants\swordsman type.
while dark dwarfs are evil earth worshipers who want to see the world burn?[/quote
There isnt that much backstory, apart from those item descriptions, but probably that it meant age old Regna empire, while one we see in mm8 is just a good organized pirate gang rather than Empire. Same as in real world Ottoman empire is long gone but Turkey still exists.

As for dwarves - since they are just minor plot point, they aren't that much elaborated so it leaves to imagination. After all we dont dwell that much why archers infest free haven, or why canibals infest bootleg bay.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 04 Jul 2013, 15:33

tress wrote:There isnt that much backstory, apart from those item descriptions, but probably that it meant age old Regna empire, while one we see in mm8 is just a good organized pirate gang rather than Empire. Same as in real world Ottoman empire is long gone but Turkey still exists.
I don't think there ever was an empire. It was clearly stated on a dialogue that the whole empire name is just the pirates being full of themselves.

antipaladin
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby antipaladin » 04 Jul 2013, 19:38

but jademe can defintly have enought content to fit an H3 mod towns... LOL :D :D

antipaladin
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby antipaladin » 05 Jul 2013, 20:54

http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.p ... 7543#focus
here is something i done a long time ago... you think i should remake a mod for something?

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 14 Jul 2013, 20:55

GreatEmerald wrote:
tress wrote:There isnt that much backstory, apart from those item descriptions, but probably that it meant age old Regna empire, while one we see in mm8 is just a good organized pirate gang rather than Empire. Same as in real world Ottoman empire is long gone but Turkey still exists.
I don't think there ever was an empire. It was clearly stated on a dialogue that the whole empire name is just the pirates being full of themselves.
yep, its only a couple of islands, the "Empire" part came from the pirates themselves.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

Return to “Might and Magic”