Does any music remind you of the MM games?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Does any music remind you of the MM games?

Unread postby Xfing » 25 Jun 2013, 00:06

This question goes to all those who have played MM6-8 but couldn't get the music to work, like me. (Still can't, honestly. I'd appreciate any advice on getting it to work). And I'm very susceptible to music, if it can be said so. Especially when I was younger I would often make imprints of music to places and experiences, and gaming experiences were definitely some of these. I would often tether the sounds of music to certain moments of video games and they would seem perfectly fitting together and complete the experience for me.

For example, back in the old days, I associated U2's "Electrical Storm" with the Bracada Desert area. When playing the game years later (let's say "recent times"), I would develop a much weaker (perhaps due to lessened impressionability due to my age) but still pronounced link of overall gameplay to some music. For example, my soundtrack to the Light Side is the album "Hydra" by Satariel, while I associate the Dark Side with the album "The Pagan Prosperity" by Old Man's Child. The sounds and the lyrics of these albums fit very well what the Light and Dark sides represent.

Do you have any such imprints?

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 25 Jun 2013, 03:51

Hah, yea, there was the time back then HoMM4 was just released, and at the time it was very buggy and a resource hog. That means that it was impossible to play the game on the machine we had with music turned on, or else it would crash. So I played it with some other music playing in the background (something my brother set up). After a while it seemed natural to associate those tracks with HoMM4, and so I thought about it every time I heard one on the radio or such. But it was so long ago that I don't remember what tracks they were. I also remember the feeling when, after a long time having music turned off there, I turned it back on and went to an Academy town. I thought it was amazing and was very disappointed about how I couldn't hear that before. I still think that track is one of the most amazing tracks in the whole series.

As for your issue, what OS are you running? And do you still have the original game disc?

the beavers1
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby the beavers1 » 25 Jun 2013, 05:22

There is a song by Eminem called beautiful, that every time I play it reminds me of Braccada Desert in MM7 since I played that song over and over again when I was playing MM7 lol
:D
"Rot in Hell You Penny Pinching Miser!"

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 25 Jun 2013, 14:09

Right now it's a Vista, and no, I don't have the game discs. I have tried running this with virtual CDs in Power ISO but it didn't work either.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 25 Jun 2013, 15:39

Well, here's the theory: the music is on the disc, written in the audio CD format like regular audio CDs. That means it uses several tracks, and the ISO 9660 specification does not have support for those, therefore if you dump your CD as an ISO file, it will only save the first track (the binary data, and not any of the music files).

So right now you have one more option, brought to you by GrayFace: add the music files to the MP3 folder and enable MP3 in the ini. Though you need to name them in order, or else you will get mismatched music. If you want it already arranged properly, you can just buy a copy off GOG.com.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 25 Jun 2013, 17:11

Samael - Koh-I-Noor. I imagine if as VARN theme for MM6, although I always had music in M&M.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 26 Jun 2013, 00:31

GreatEmerald wrote:Well, here's the theory: the music is on the disc, written in the audio CD format like regular audio CDs. That means it uses several tracks, and the ISO 9660 specification does not have support for those, therefore if you dump your CD as an ISO file, it will only save the first track (the binary data, and not any of the music files).

So right now you have one more option, brought to you by GrayFace: add the music files to the MP3 folder and enable MP3 in the ini. Though you need to name them in order, or else you will get mismatched music. If you want it already arranged properly, you can just buy a copy off GOG.com.
Any idea where I can find those mp3s for MM7 and MM8? In the "fell off the truck" variety, that is :D

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 26 Jun 2013, 10:25

Xfing wrote:Any idea where I can find those mp3s for MM7 and MM8? In the "fell off the truck" variety, that is :D
GOG.com sells all three of the games ;)

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 26 Jun 2013, 13:11

Oh well, might as well buy'em. Not like it's expensive :P

EDIT: Then again, I might not need to. There's this page
http://downloads.khinsider.com/might-and-magic

Soundtracks <3

And I did get it to work! I needed to create a "Music" folder and name the files "2.mp3" to "20.mp3".

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 26 Jun 2013, 18:42

How would you know the proper order of the tracks? :P

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 26 Jun 2013, 23:31

I assumed they were in order. I mean exploration-theme.mp3 was the first and exploration-theme-19.mp3 was the last :P

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 27 Jun 2013, 20:14

Not for MM6 they're not.

Konfuzius
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Konfuzius » 29 Jun 2013, 17:51

Actually there is a mod for the game called Hexen which uses music from MM ^^ Therefore, it reminds me of MM :P

Return to “Might and Magic”