M&M7: Random crash entering areas

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
zib
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

M&M7: Random crash entering areas

Unread postby zib » 28 May 2013, 15:44

Hello M&M'ers,
Recently went back to MM7 after a quick MM9 replay, but I have a problem. Playing MM7 (with last Grayface's patch).
I'm playing 3 games at once (light PKMS, dark SSSS and solo M if you're curious :D). In 2 of those games it is impossible to enter a given, never visited area without having the game to crash (not the same areas in the different games). No matter what, trying every config I can't get the area to load !
In one of the games I could load another save that was working and not crashing on the area loading.
In the second game unfortunately, I don't have another working save :s
Looks like savegame corruption...

Anyways, would anyone have a way to fix this?

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 28 May 2013, 18:20

That would be Grayface. Upload the crash log somewhere in the mean while, it should come in handy when debugging the issue.

zib
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby zib » 28 May 2013, 18:38

Ok, thanks.
Maybe I could try something on my own in the meanwhile. Is it possible to edit a savegame to change the party's location ? Like, put them in the forbidden place ? :D
Don't think mm7che allows this ;)

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 28 May 2013, 18:41

Well, if you can, I'd expect it to crash even faster than usual :)

zib
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby zib » 31 May 2013, 15:28

Still no one able to help my savegame ? Well, it's ok, I'm playing a few games at once, this solo Monk can wait :D

So let me use this post to do a bit of chatting, too! :p
-I finished my game with Paladin/Knight/Monk/Sorcerer (light path) and now I can have fun with training them and clear again Eofol & make some arenas. The sorc goes full light so he can tremedously boost this melee party, so in combat he's quite often found casting paralyze. The knight, well, it's the standard truck-knight, nothing to say except he's dealing a ton of damage. The monk is quite strong too, but as more levelling is put into the equation, he's becoming weaker than the knight; he sometimes takes a staff to leech some life but the recovery is horrible. The pal is going for a mace/paralyze build, never tried that before. Nice, but I'm not sure of what stun does, and not sure if I should dual wield a sword for a bit of extra damage or stick to the shield.

-Playing a bit of SSSS party, quite challenging. Now the dwarves are saved, I'm on a trip to the golem chests. But as a level 1 party, any trap means a team wipe :S Managed to get 2 telekinesis scrolls, but that won't be enough. Well, since the dwarves are ok I guess I could just level a bit for some HP. Will go dark obviously. Miss the good ol' shrapnel blast with 40 dark or something :D

-The solo monk is stuck thanks to the above bug! I suspect it can be an interesting game, a struggle where every little thing you find can be put to good use.

-Just rolled a AAAC team, it is incredibly easy and quick (even more since I allowed myself to level a bit in te beginning, 10ish).
Berserked the dragon in Emerald Isle with a scroll, got crap (not multicheating !!!), did the best move you can do in the game in Harmondale (get Expert Spirit for mass bless and heroism). Went straight to Avlee to get the promotion for Archers, found a few very nice spears lying on the ground there and a good amount of gold from cold dead ancient wyverns. Spears are incredible, gives my archers a really decent melee for no skill investment!
Then went to rescue the dwarves, easy, managed to clear all medusas instead of just sabotaging (hiding in tunnels waiting for recovery, then jumping on close combat with spears or just fire a wall of arrows and go back to recover; there are cheaper ways, I know :D).
Back to Stone City I made my way to Nighon (taking a banker before entering the tunnels, hehe, so many big stacks there!), only suffering a dead member from an angry minotaur lord, and didn't even need the invisibility scroll I saved for this. So Nighon meant Master Bow, and here is a turn in the game : 2 arrows at once x 3 just clears Erathia. Didn't really upgrade other skills since I'm a bit short of skill points, so I'm just sticking to basic leather for better recovery. Maybe mail later when there are enough skill points to kill the recovery penalty?
Next step, go back to Avlee to promote the Archers : allows to get elemental expertise. So bybye Cartographer NPC, welcome to wizard eye, decent fire enchant (barely need this, and I'm lazy !:p), water walk, jump, and a spell I found to be quite useful : SLOW (earth magic). At normal expertise it just doesn't last long enough, but at expert level I use it effectively in hard fights like Minotaur Lords or Master of Sword (not sure it's their name, well the ones in Tatalia guild, Erathia Castle or Markham's house); the problem is monsters resist it really often, but it's well worth a few turns trying to inflict this death sentence to enemies. Just like berserk, so I often get expert Mind for that purpose, but I don't find myself using it or loving it as much as slow. Moreover, the Archer with expert Earth is using the... hmm? Zokkar's axe from Nighon tunnels, a really decent weapon increasing Earth as a bonus (so +2 with my expert 4 level).
Then, with promoting my cleric to priest in mind, I went to Erathia to take some transportation to Tatalia and put expert slow to good use while robbing the paintings in Erathia Castle, was an epic fight. Tatalia was cleared easily, got the map to evenmorn and killed Wormthrax (used a Hour of Power scroll to speed up things).
Now I'm just working on clearing everything; got good fights in Thunderfist Mountain (slow nice again, but I had to be cheesy for Evil Eyes, like in the red dwarf mines, real time cheat :p). As for late game, I'll obviously go Light, and put all my points into Bow, it's as good as a knight's GM armsmasters damage wise (2 arrows) and can get you that "blaster feeling" (5 recovery) with high enough skill so it will be fun :D

Why am I telling all this here? Well, just wanted to share. Long life to Might and Magic!

Return to “Might and Magic”