Might And Magic Rpg

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
nick1200
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Might And Magic Rpg

Unread postby nick1200 » 25 May 2013, 14:41

So has you can tell i am new to this forum. It has toke me 4 months of trying to register to this forum to get a account here. ( problems with the spam filter on register page ).
But any way's i am a web developer and was thinking about building a might and magic rpg. This rpg would be fully based on the old versions of the might and magic 6-8. The whole rpg would be based online.Users would have 5 characters with 100's of more that they could add. I am a very good web developer and my daily job is to build online games. I just thought id post here to see if users would play or if i would be wasting my time ??

the beavers1
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby the beavers1 » 25 May 2013, 18:23

I would probably play, if only to at least try it out and see how it goes, but I think the major problem would be if you got permission from ubisoft since they own the game still
"Rot in Hell You Penny Pinching Miser!"

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 25 May 2013, 18:49

There's also the issue that an online game is vastly different from an offline one. There have been ideas floating around about making an online version (you can probably find threads about that if you search enough), but nothing really materialised.

As for the spam filter... Well, it should be gone once the boards move to phpBB3. Speaking of which, you should see this: viewtopic.php?t=14008

MM6Kergmond
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MM6Kergmond » 26 May 2013, 07:50

Nice!
I would play too.
Now, as GreatEmerald suggest, the adaptation might be quite uneasy.
Paticularly, making beginners and high level players being in the same world.
Beginners would systematically be killed very fast.

the beavers1
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby the beavers1 » 26 May 2013, 08:54

I think the kind of game he would make isnt an MMORPG, but an RPG where the game is independent to each player like adventure quest, where you don't exactly play with other players, but play in a ever changing online world

nick1200
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby nick1200 » 26 May 2013, 12:23

Well i was thinking of a site were you would have to do online quests. You will be able to chose 5 heroes at the start when you register some of which are dragons , humans etc.. You will be able to buy items for these hero's. Each hero will have attack defense points and each item will increase or decrease the stats of the user it is on. Users will gain in game money from fighting monsters. And completing quests. Users will be able to see other users and will be able to see the levels of the other users hero's and will be able to put there items up for sale and other users can buy them.There will also be a story line.The site will not be like a walk around site be for any one asks. I am gonna try and do some testing with layouts and stuff and will add some screen shots.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 26 May 2013, 12:29

I'd pay for a good implementation, but Ubisoft will not allow you to build a game based on the franchise if it's commercial. Don't even try this without their permission. I'd highly doubt, though, that they would allow you to do this.

nick1200
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby nick1200 » 26 May 2013, 12:51

I have toke legal advice and have been told that has long has i do not call it "might and magic" it is fine. I could called i m+m or m&m and they will not be able to do anything. Also anyone in the world can sue the images ( the charters etc ) under the fair use policy.Im not worrying about Ubisoft. The only thing i would be worried about if users would play. The game would be free.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 26 May 2013, 16:58

They can still sue you for likeness, especially if you choose a name which is so suggestive. If you do manage to get around it and the game is good, you will not solely depend on the MM community, you can still find new gamers. But again, that will depend on the end product.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 26 May 2013, 20:59

nick1200 wrote: or m&m and they will not be able to do anything.
Careful Mars candy company may not like you using that name. :D
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

nick1200
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby nick1200 » 26 May 2013, 23:50

About ten mins of work and i have come up with this so far.
Still needs a lot of styling but has i have said 10 mins of work. All players are click able etc..

the beavers1
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby the beavers1 » 27 May 2013, 02:04

well that was some fast work lol

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby legendoferthia » 27 May 2013, 06:11

Great job Nick, MM6-8 is the way to go. When can we expect a demo of your work?
MIGHT AND MAGIC INSPIRED GAME: Legend of Erthia - Armageddon!
https://www.facebook.com/thelegendoferthia

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 27 May 2013, 19:57

savetara wrote:Great job Nick, MM6-8 is the way to go. When can we expect a demo of your work?
You're a fine one to ask!!! :D

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby legendoferthia » 27 May 2013, 20:16

@Variol!
LOL! Hehe!
MIGHT AND MAGIC INSPIRED GAME: Legend of Erthia - Armageddon!
https://www.facebook.com/thelegendoferthia

koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby koval321 » 03 Jun 2013, 14:15

I have difficulty to imagine this game but am interested about any fanmade MM

MarisVetra
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby MarisVetra » 21 Jun 2013, 07:39

Its interesting, i'd like that other players cannot see each other, so its not mmorpg, that would be like 2nd wow or runescape - endless leveling and pvping, but if its just RPG without mmo then it would be interesting, maybe something like diablo, where someone create a game and for example 4 players may join that game and then see each other. But i dunno.

I am also wondering about the images - can you just use purely copy-paste imagery from mm6-8? Isnt that against copyrights? And also sounds and stuff...
"In moment of difficulty, lies an opportunity"

- Albert Einstein

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 21 Jun 2013, 09:03

MarisVetra wrote:I am also wondering about the images - can you just use purely copy-paste imagery from mm6-8? Isnt that against copyrights? And also sounds and stuff...
Yea, that's technically copyright infringement. That's why for Arcomage Clone I tried to remake as many resources as possible (which also leads to a nice side effect of the new resources being of higher definition than the originals).

Though I doubt Ubisoft would enforce the copyright, if the MM name isn't reused.

Return to “Might and Magic”