Am I the only one that absolutely loves Dark Messiah?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Sgt_BFG
Pixie
Pixie

Am I the only one that absolutely loves Dark Messiah?

Unread postby Sgt_BFG » 29 Apr 2013, 17:28

It's one of the few games I've owned that I've completed upwards of 4 times over. Apart from Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay, I haven't played a game with such satisfying melee combat. In a perfect world there would be a sequel with a more indepth skill system and no irritating sidekick stuck in the characters head.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 29 Apr 2013, 20:18

Yes, melee combat was great. And multiplayer has its good sides as well. On the PC at least, recently I've spoiled my enjoyment of the game by playing the terrible Xbox version, which doesn't really compare.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Sgt_BFG
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Sgt_BFG » 29 Apr 2013, 21:39

Was the 360 version really as bad as everyone said? what was wrong with it? I played the demo and it seemed decent enough.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 30 Apr 2013, 13:20

They removed most of the character customization options. So if you started as a warrior, you remained a warrior for the whole game. You couldn't even use a bow (other than the rope bow).

The frame rate was not as good and gave me motion sickness after 30 minutes or an hour, especially in the undeground levels.

The odds of your character getting stuck in the scenery were higher: it happened to me twice (but never on the PC), and I heard of several other Xbox players who got the same issue.

Also, the achievements are pretty bad (too much focus on multiplayer and collectibles that can easily be missed).

So yes, stick to the PC. :)
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Sgt_BFG
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Sgt_BFG » 01 May 2013, 15:47

I guess I dodged a bullet then not picking it up. Oh well. The game could work perfectly fine on consoles, a graphically updated re-release for download on XboxLive or PSN (and PC of course) would be pretty neat.

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 03 May 2013, 05:19

I love the combat, it's really fun and realistic. But I died so god damn much, pardon my French...that ruined it a little for me.

koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby koval321 » 03 May 2013, 18:14

Yes its great game. There is also another interesting game like this: Severance Blade of Darkness

PicturesOfLily
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Am I the only one that absolutely loves Dark Messiah?

Unread postby PicturesOfLily » 04 May 2013, 11:48

No!
I've played it like four times too. The combat is splendid!
The same company (arkane studios) is behind Dishonored - a damn good game too! Storywise AND gameplaywise.

Return to “Might and Magic”