Might and Magic X

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
magritte2
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby magritte2 » 07 Feb 2014, 23:54

I'm a little puzzled by complaints that they're not using the old world. Which one? Varn? Terra? Xeen? They can't use Enroth because it was destroyed. T

Asomath
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Asomath » 08 Feb 2014, 00:36

magritte2 wrote:I'm a little puzzled by complaints that they're not using the old world. Which one? Varn? Terra? Xeen? They can't use Enroth because it was destroyed. T
He doesn't mean the world literally, he means the expanded universe. The Ancients, the Kreegan threat, the collapse of the Ironfist dynasty, the experimental nacelle environments.

sherwin_p
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Single Player

Unread postby sherwin_p » 08 Feb 2014, 00:40

An interesting albeit very difficult playthrough may be to have a single player mod where you don't need all 4 character slots filled. I'm curious if you could readjust XP to give to single character and see if it can be finished. Similar to Wizardry 8 solo fairy ninja...sure you became ultra powerful by end but that's the point.

I've already finished the game but will wait for mods before I have another playthrough. I enjoyed my time in the game, very good!

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 14 Feb 2014, 16:50

More info about the upcoming patch.

It will be released before the end of February.

And some things to check during your next playthrough :)

koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby koval321 » 19 Feb 2014, 14:57

Game have heightened difficulty and linear exploration to hide fact that its small. Normally you would swim, bash door and use stables to reach end game in one hour.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 19 Feb 2014, 17:36

The patch is out :)

SubEffect
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Just finished Act 2

Unread postby SubEffect » 23 Feb 2014, 22:25

I'm moving slowly through the game as I don't get as much time to play as I'd like. I have a bunch of other new games right now but I find myself wanting to play MMX over them all.

Minor spoilers.. just location names, etc..

I just finished Act II and I'm really enjoying the game! Everything really opens up after the road the Seahaven is available. There's a nearly endless forest area that takes you to various other places - many are too tough when first encountered, so I just revisited them later. Now, in Act III I am able to clear most of the areas but have still hit a bit of a wall trying to get to Karthal. I believe the main issue with this is the lack of certain protections and spells to defeat certain mobs like dark wizards (protection against feeblemind or at least the cure - clear mind). I also didn't have a magical sword for the longest time, until I purchased one. So, my paladin was hitting for 20-25 damage and now he's nearing 100 with a decent weapon. The bladedancer does well with mediocre weapons, so i can't wait until he's got a pair of magicals. I don't know if I am just unlucky or the game is biased against swords, but I haven't found any special ones at all in normal loot or chests. I've opened a good deal of secret rooms/chests as well.

Anyhow.. I was going to point out some things that drive me a bit crazy, but they've evened out a bit as I have been able to explore. I hit a pretty good wall in the Lost City because I couldn't defeat the ravenous ghouls and Montbard was giving me some difficulty. I originally thought that the lack of respawns would really be an issue as I couldn't go out and level up as I would with other games. It turns out I just hadn't explored the open world enough - there were plenty of challenges out there that got me a couple of levels. For example, I still can't take on a pack of Blackguards, but I could deal with the orc-like marauders, dreamdancers and goblins. I know there are many paths beyond where I first saw those creatures (possibly one leading to The Crag) but I haven't been able to make it too far out yet. So, as I level up a bit trying to get to Karthal, I'll be exploring more into the Desolate area and further into the forest. There's a lot to clear in there and a few crypts along the way. I really enjoy exploring and constantly finding places I haven't been before.

Just for fun I tried to go back to the Elemental Forge - those two air/lightning elementals still single-shot wipe me out :) I'll be coming back in another 10 levels...

Anyhow.. great game! I think at this point the only thing that really drives me crazy is not knowing when your gear is going to break/be worn. I am always deep into a dungeon, very far from town when this happens. The reliance on potions is a little annoying as well - maybe I just haven't found any regeneration items yet to balance that out.
Currently playing:
MM Heroes VI
Dark Souls II (PS3)
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)

Bloax
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bloax » 24 Feb 2014, 08:50

I haven't found any penalties for sleeping besides the financial one, so if your party is really drained and you feel like you might need the potions for later in the dungeon you're doing - you could just hit the 'r' key and get a full heal.

magritte2
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby magritte2 » 28 Feb 2014, 20:22

I'm planning on getting the game soon and was wondering if there's a good strategy guide around somewhere yet. I wouldn't normally bother, but I'm gathering that the game is quite a bit more challenging the M&M VI/VII and it isn't generally possible to flee combats that are going poorly. So I'm nervous about making bad class and skill choices early on that will make the game frustrating. Advice?

Spin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Spin » 01 Mar 2014, 05:37

Magritte, it's a fairly simple game. The only part you need to think about is progressing your characters the correct way. Just make sure you keep enough vitality and other stats. You will have to use potions a lot as well (or healing spells).

If you posted here your party or what you were thinking of doing others here could share their experiences. there are definitely some great things you can do in this game.

Play with at least 1 dedicated magic character. Stick to the main storyline until you get to the 3rd or 4th towns. Also play on adventurer difficulty, it's challenging enough while still being great fun. Warrior is quite difficult, particularly if you don't pick the right party at the start.

magritte2
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby magritte2 » 03 Mar 2014, 02:38

Well, suppose I went with a party like Crusader//Druid/Scout/Barbarian, which superficially looks like it ought to be fairly balanced. Are there any obvious problems? Anything I should be looking to pick up as far as skills/spells as quickly as possible?

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 03 Mar 2014, 08:16

Well, suppose I went with a party like Crusader//Druid/Scout/Barbarian, which superficially looks like it ought to be fairly balanced. Are there any obvious problems? Anything I should be looking to pick up as far as skills/spells as quickly as possible?
Aside of lack of dark magic, which causes some problems(of debatable severity) like lack of whispering shadows and purge, there seems to be lack of heavy magic offense. Team seems to be extremelly meelee heavy and since many mobs are vunerable to two schools at best, going in with single pure caster like druid(who probably will work as healer/ support spell caster ) may cause some problems. I would probably switch scout for feee mage or shaman so there is bigger versatility of spells available. Druid doesn't make very good offensive caster due to lack of deep magic focus, and multitasking scout towards ranged/melee/caster will make him sub par due to lack of stat points.

magritte2
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby magritte2 » 04 Mar 2014, 04:50

Thanks. I had read that enemies often appeared right next to you, so I was thinking that having a strong melee party might be desirable. The game doesn't really give you much information to work with in building a party and the manual doesn't even have all the classes in it.

One thing I wondered about was whether I should try and have all four races since they have different resistances, but I don't know how much difference 10 resistance makes.

So you think Free Mage/Crusader/Druid/Barbarian would be a better party?

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 04 Mar 2014, 06:34

magritte2 wrote:Thanks. I had read that enemies often appeared right next to you, so I was thinking that having a strong melee party might be desirable. The game doesn't really give you much information to work with in building a party and the manual doesn't even have all the classes in it.

One thing I wondered about was whether I should try and have all four races since they have different resistances, but I don't know how much difference 10 resistance makes.

So you think Free Mage/Crusader/Druid/Barbarian would be a better party?
Yes game really pretty much forces figure stuff out for your self (it's part of charm this game have, but sometimes it's frustrating and discourages taking any chances)
That's true. Ranged combat doesn't play as heavy role as it used to in mm6-8 or games like wizardry, even more since you can't shoot on back rows. Problem with melee heavy is that no doubt you will encounter not only magic resistant creatures but also ones with high armor class, heavy block chances and various other nasty abilities that discourage melee combat.(like vengeance), and at that point you will wish to have high versatility of attacking abilities to exploit weakness. For example my choice to never touch fire magic for my team made most encounters with naga enemies much more harder than they probably needed to, specially meelee ones that blocked most of my attacks and had high AP.
Suggested party is much more well rounded in my opinion. I would probably use slightly different class selection(like I would likely prefer blade dancer but it is more of a personal preference(difference in this case isn't as big).

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 04 Mar 2014, 08:54

The patch made ranged combat a bit more useful by the way.

magritte2
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby magritte2 » 08 Mar 2014, 20:44

Well, I thought I was doing well but I'm now level 11 and I'm hopelessly stuck in the Elemental Forge. I lost one of my party members fighting the Earth Elemental, I'm out of supplies and running low on mana potions so I really need to go back to New Sorpigal but I can't get out. The way I came in on level 3 has vanished, and I can't use the exit on level 2 without the blessing of Shalassa. There may be an exit on levels 4 or 5 but I haven't been up there and there's no way I'd survive. Is there a secret way out or do I have to start the entire dungeon over again?

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 08 Mar 2014, 21:52

magritte2 wrote:Well, I thought I was doing well but I'm now level 11 and I'm hopelessly stuck in the Elemental Forge. I lost one of my party members fighting the Earth Elemental, I'm out of supplies and running low on mana potions so I really need to go back to New Sorpigal but I can't get out. The way I came in on level 3 has vanished, and I can't use the exit on level 2 without the blessing of Shalassa. There may be an exit on levels 4 or 5 but I haven't been up there and there's no way I'd survive. Is there a secret way out or do I have to start the entire dungeon over again?
You should be able to backtrack and get out the same way you came from. Maybe you overlooked something? If you can't go back, that sounds like a bug to me.

magritte2
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby magritte2 » 09 Mar 2014, 01:06

Oh silly me. I didn't realize that Level 4 was the outside rather than another dungeon level. I seem to have completed the quest but I'm puzzled that there were so many doors and things inside that I couldn't open. I guess I'm going to have to come back to this place later?

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 09 Mar 2014, 09:58

Yes, you will be back in there to get the blessings of the various elemental lords. That's how you'll be able to walk on water, use teleporters etc.

I'm using 4 Crusaders right now. I hope the devs do something about game balance. The older M&M's could be played with any race/class of party, bu this one is hard, or impossible to finish with some parties.
I just had 4 Dwarf Shield Guard but could not get past the final boss with them.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 10 Mar 2014, 08:17

I'm using 4 Crusaders right now. I hope the devs do something about game balance. The older M&M's could be played with any race/class of party, bu this one is hard, or impossible to finish with some parties.
MM7 -8 was possible with any class combination only because of real time movment possibility/line of sight abuse (other game engine specific feature) where you could basically never get hit. Under strict board game rule type rules where you couldn't dodge bullets and abuse save/load during fight, it would be EXTREMELY hard to finish game with every party configuration. (well there would be some workarounds but those would be overpowered spell abuse, which shouldn't be in game in first place.)
Also if I remember correctly , finishing older MM's (3-5) would hardly be possible with every party due to sheer need for some spells. which would block progress unless you have them.
Game is never meant to be played by crippled party anyway. If game could be easily finished by any crippled build there is something wrong with game design or difficulty.

Return to “Might and Magic”