Might and Magic X

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Asomath
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Asomath » 03 Feb 2014, 13:32

Awww yeah, got my computer fixed and binged all day yesterday to make up for lost time.

Anyways, I, like others, hit a massive wall transferring from the end of stage two to the more open part of the game (I'm also playing on Warrior). The game had been fairly gentle in its difficulty curve till that point, but damn did it suck when every monster/ambush was insanely difficult. However, getting through this wall didn't feel like I was climbing it, it was more like I was my smashing my head against it hoping to make a crack. Only making extremely efficient use of gold and spells allowed me to slug forward.

But, when you smash through the wall and feel like the Hulk (post-20), it is extremely satisfying.

Let me see if I'm still feeling that when I make the Act III - Act IV leap.

Cheers,
~Asomath

P.S. Ubisoft's desire to tell me my play time after each session really hurts. My 9 hours and 11 minutes of playing yesterday really shows how unhealthily addicted I'm getting to this.

Bloax
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bloax » 03 Feb 2014, 15:56

Nine hours is nothing, I think I spent more than eleven yesterday. :p

I am playing on adventurer mode though, since I don't feel like jumping straight to hardmode in a game I don't know anything about.

But no, I didn't have much in the sense of resistances (no dark magic user, haha) or any other way of countering the cyclops' sweep attack other than time stasis/regeneration/celestial armor and loads of brute force. :DDD

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 03 Feb 2014, 16:25

Bloax wrote:Say guys, at what party level did you kill the shadow dragon/cyclops around Sorpigal?
They came down with relative ease around level 12 in a Bladedancer/Runepriest/Barbarian/Druid party, although I'm pretty sure another bladedancer would be better than the barbarian.
Around 20 probably, did not try very early. In my barbarian (two handed mace) vs ranger (double dagger) the ranger has for most of the game done considerably more damage than the barbarian. Now at 24+ the barb is starting to equal though.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 03 Feb 2014, 17:30

any other way of countering the cyclops' sweep attack
Wont spoil method, since it's much more fun to think of it yourself, but you do( at least you should based on team setup, two even).

Bloax
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bloax » 03 Feb 2014, 17:53

Challenging with your leftmost character seemed to limit the hit to the F1 and F2 characters, which if you arranged the party so that these slots are occupied by your toughest characters ought to provide an advantage over having your casters get obliterated.

but that's not fun

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 03 Feb 2014, 18:01

Challenging with your leftmost character seemed to limit the hit to the F1 and F2 characters, which if you arranged the party so that these slots are occupied by your toughest characters ought to provide an advantage over having your casters get obliterated.
No, thats not the method I have in mind. In fact it would allow to kill cyclop with minimum healing since it would completely negate sweep attacks(well probably some would get through due to RNG) considering that team have correct build(generally they should).

Bloax
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bloax » 04 Feb 2014, 18:33

Speaking of barbarians, I currently have a pretty shitty twohander for the guy - should I switch to the (Irnaran) axe relic?
It'd be a pretty dumb move, considering I already pumped maces to 15 on the guy, but I'm curious.

Edit: Kudos to whoever had the idea of a minesweeper puzzlecrypt. That was a pleasant surprise.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 04 Feb 2014, 19:23

Bloax wrote:Speaking of barbarians, I currently have a pretty **** twohander for the guy - should I switch to the (Irnaran) axe relic?
It'd be a pretty dumb move, considering I already pumped maces to 15 on the guy, but I'm curious.

Edit: Kudos to whoever had the idea of a minesweeper puzzlecrypt. That was a pleasant surprise.
In my expirience it is not good idea to switch weapons simply because game is nowhere near as generios in skill point department as mm6-9. I started endgame about at level early 3x something, and I could nowhere near to get all skills I want for shield guard. Basically you cant really afford to drop 15 skill points. They are much better used in warfare or endurance or whatever.

P.S My 666 post :), guess I should quit posting.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 04 Feb 2014, 21:05

Bloax wrote: Speaking of barbarians, I currently have a pretty **** twohander for the guy - should I switch to the (Irnaran) axe relic?
I do not recommend respecialication either. There are many relicts in the game but i cannot recall seeing a two-handed mace. However decent magic non-relict bought from Karthal market worked fine for me. Better pump the skill even more up and might stat as well. And as said by tress, if you look at how many skillpoints theoretically can be invested into a character, you are likely to finish before half of them are full.

tress wrote: P.S My 666 post :), guess I should quit posting.

Indeed, oh mighty Lord of the High-Slung Bottoms of Zob.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 05 Feb 2014, 02:43

Ran into another fight that made me realize I need to rethink my builds . . . the all-might party is probably not for the complete novice I am. :)
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 05 Feb 2014, 07:47

Bandobras Took wrote:Ran into another fight that made me realize I need to rethink my builds . . . the all-might party is probably not for the complete novice I am. :)
I would suggest to accumulate a several hundreds of health potions and just for case keep 100% protection to poison, paralysis etc. items for each party member... It should be doable, but if you are ill prepared the end game may take long replays.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 05 Feb 2014, 14:09

That's actually why I needed to rebuild -- the Dwarven Defender can have access to Burning Determination if you just bother to level up Fire Magic. Otherwise, yeah . . . anti-paralysis items would be key to beating Gralkor. :)
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Asomath
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Asomath » 05 Feb 2014, 16:48

Finally beat the game last night (this morning), and it was by the skin of my teeth. I thought I was well prepared, because I had hundreds of potions, but the one potion I didn't have a lot of? Feeble-minded. I had 4 scrolls of dispel, and 5 clear mind potions, which I thought would be enough, especially considering that my freemage can clear it as well. I was wrong. I eventually got to the point where everyone was feeble minded except for my druid, all scrolls used. I had to face the last 6 faceless of the came by attacking with my might characters and then having my druid Ice Prison them, hoping they didn't resist, so then they couldn't cast feeble-mind on him. Without regeneration, I would have been toast. Keep in mind, that at this point, my characters were getting tired, and I only had a couple of hours left before my druid would become feeble minded from lack of sleep. The last surround happened, I buffed up beforehand so they were focused on purging. I cast Harmony, run up to the last Elite Faceless, do the Ice Prison trick, killed him, and finished the game.

I've really got to say, this game was much more spectacular than I thought it would be. The world was large and took some time to explore. They treated the Might and Magic RPG franchise with so much respect, such tact. The forbidden saga quest (especially MMIX's poem) was beautiful. I loved Jassad. This game truly feels like it has a place in the hall's of of Might and Magic's legacy.

As for future play-throughs, I suppose the challenge has been set for me to do the all-might, all-hybrid, and all-magic parties by the achievements. Of course, I'll do it on Warrior as well. All-might really sounds like it would suuuuuck though.

Anyways, thank you Limbic Entertainment for all your work! You did a fantastic job!

Cheers,
~Asomath

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 05 Feb 2014, 18:22

Asomath wrote:.. Feeble-minded. I had 4 scrolls of dispel, and 5 clear mind potions, which I thought would be enough, especially considering that my freemage can clear it as well. I was wrong. I eventually got to the point where everyone was feeble minded except for my druid, all scrolls used.
An item with 100% protection to feeblemind is a must for mages. At least to the one who can clear the minds of other characters.

Agree that the game was above expectations and i certainly intend to play it more.

Asomath
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Asomath » 06 Feb 2014, 02:37

Pitsu wrote:
Asomath wrote:.. Feeble-minded. I had 4 scrolls of dispel, and 5 clear mind potions, which I thought would be enough, especially considering that my freemage can clear it as well. I was wrong. I eventually got to the point where everyone was feeble minded except for my druid, all scrolls used.
An item with 100% protection to feeblemind is a must for mages. At least to the one who can clear the minds of other characters.
Probably, but that's just not how I enjoy playing XD I'm not a defensive player. All gear and stats are dedicated to offensive power. No vitality points for my casters!

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 06 Feb 2014, 06:40

Asomath wrote:
Pitsu wrote:
Probably, but that's just not how I enjoy playing XD I'm not a defensive player. All gear and stats are dedicated to offensive power. No vitality points for my casters!
I felt that game is way too non-generious in both skill point and stat point department that you can't really afford to spend them on side like on vitality. Basically is spell like heavenly armor gives extra 200+ hp then vitality with its 2 per level cant really compete. Only decent way to get hp pool up for non dwarves in my opinion was to learn endurance at least to expert and hang some + end item that will result in decent HP pool

Bloax
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bloax » 06 Feb 2014, 07:06

The one thing that I really don't see the point of is why armor skill only serves to reduce the (relatively minor) accuracy penalty, at least in the previous games investment into defenses actually gave you defenses.

Xfing
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Xfing » 07 Feb 2014, 10:27

Haven't gotten to try out the game yet. But if I do, I'll make sure to judge it fairly. Even though the immense, immense storytelling potential of the NWC universe has been discarded with a second thought by Ubisoft, which pains and disappoints me greatly, I'll do my best to enjoy the game for what it is.

So, what are the overall impressions?

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 07 Feb 2014, 11:23

Xfing wrote:Haven't gotten to try out the game yet. But if I do, I'll make sure to judge it fairly. Even though the immense, immense storytelling potential of the NWC universe has been discarded with a second thought by Ubisoft, which pains and disappoints me greatly, I'll do my best to enjoy the game for what it is.

So, what are the overall impressions?
Frankly game exceeded my expectations, so it is definitely worth a try.
I made short review for MM:X for CH, so basically this sums up my impressions-
https://www.celestialheavens.com/826

Absence of old world doesn't really bother that much, as previous mm games did not really integrated elements from other games that much. Sure there was King/Queen and few other persons, but it never went past that, which in fact is great aspect in MM:X, when you can meet many of characters we saw in HOMM5/6, and it feels like integral part of setting. In MM:IX it was even worse- it didn't had any connection to Homm4. In fact abundance of small references in Legacy towards original universe - Xeen/Terra/ Destroyer is really high so paradoxically MM:X legacy have more to do with old universe than MM:IX ever did.

Asomath
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Asomath » 07 Feb 2014, 13:50

Xfing wrote: Even though the immense, immense storytelling potential of the NWC universe has been discarded with a second thought by Ubisoft, which pains and disappoints me greatly, I'll do my best to enjoy the game for what it is
Tress is right. There was enough acknowledgements in MMX to MMI - MMVIII to nearly guarantee that Ashan IS in the same universe as NWC's, just a different planet.

Return to “Might and Magic”