Might and Magic X

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Deftclaw Redreaver
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Might and Magic X

Unread postby Deftclaw Redreaver » 27 Apr 2013, 18:09

So, Everyone! What is the thing you're most anticipated about Might and Magic X? Personally I don't think I will bother buying the game as I only like the HoMM III and Might and Magic 6-8 (enroth-Erathia- Antagaritch) Because I find the games by Ubisoft is just boring and I don't like it

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 27 Apr 2013, 19:51

I agree with you as well, but I suppose that's already been discussed thoroughly...

Most anticipated thing? Mod support and any possible references to the original universe.

Rune_Caster
Demon
Demon

Re: Might and Magic X

Unread postby Rune_Caster » 27 Apr 2013, 21:19

Deftclaw Redreaver wrote:So, Everyone! What is the thing you're most anticipated about Might and Magic X?
Finally a Might and Magic game that is 100 % turn based!! Reason enough for me to buy a copy... No more of this run up enter turn based mode and have 20+ balls of energy smack you around!

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 28 Apr 2013, 00:13

Well, I will reapeat what I said at others posts:
-First person party based - done
-Turn based - done
-Oldschool tile based movement - done
-Both combat and ridles - done
-Open world free to explore without silly level scaled enemies - done

I am happy! Will be a really good game? Dunno yet, I do not trust Ubisoft for sure, all the other details (story, atmosphere etc) will shape its quality, but as a gamer that I grew up with Might and Magic and Wizardry all the above elements will surely give me hours of fun!

edit : Doh! I forgot the most important! Mod tools for our already active and great MnM mod community! Did we really expect all those at 2013?
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

Deftclaw Redreaver
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Deftclaw Redreaver » 28 Apr 2013, 16:40

I agree with you as well
Oh and I forgot to include Jadame. How could i forget Jadame :(
Mod support and any possible references to the original universe.
Aye, But the mod making will become harder wont it? Because you will need to make 3D models unlike what most modders have worked. (2D animated portraits, creatures, items etc)

But if someone makes a mod that transports to any of the old worlds (Erathia-Antagritch-Jadame) Then I may buy the game. Plus turn by turn RPGs are not my strong suit, That is mainly why I didn't play Might And Magic I-V
Finally a Might and Magic game that is 100 % turn based!!

You can always play Might and Magic I-V if you haven't played them because they are turn based

Xdarkon
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Xdarkon » 28 Apr 2013, 17:13

Sorry, This is Deftclaw. I created the other account as a test to see if i recieved a confirmation E-mail from yahoo This is my proper one :(

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 28 Apr 2013, 20:23

Deftclaw Redreaver wrote:Aye, But the mod making will become harder wont it? Because you will need to make 3D models unlike what most modders have worked. (2D animated portraits, creatures, items etc)
We don't know yet. If it provides modding abilities akin to those of the Unreal Engine, then it would not be a problem at all (UE supports actor display as 2D sprites as well as 3D models, and you choose one or another by simply choosing it from a list). Whether something like that would be possible in MMX is yet to be seen.

On the other hand, in the worst case scenario, you could replace all models with flat planes with a sprite texture applied to them :D
Deftclaw Redreaver wrote:But if someone makes a mod that transports to any of the old worlds (Erathia-Antagritch-Jadame) Then I may buy the game.

Indeed, my thoughts as well.

Xdarkon
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Xdarkon » 28 Apr 2013, 21:40

On the other hand, in the worst case scenario, you could replace all models with flat planes with a sprite texture applied to them
Why didn't I think of that :mad:

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 29 Apr 2013, 21:35

Lord13 wrote:Well, I will reapeat what I said at others posts:
-First person party based - done
-Turn based - done
-Both combat and ridles - done

I am happy! Will be a really good game? Dunno yet, I do not trust Ubisoft for sure, all the other details (story, atmosphere etc) will shape its quality, but as a gamer that I grew up with Might and Magic and Wizardry all the above elements will surely give me hours of fun!

edit : Doh! I forgot the most important! Mod tools for our already active and great MnM mod community! Did we really expect all those at 2013?
all this above and one more thing:

that the same feeling as in the old games is kept.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 30 Apr 2013, 00:35

Trailer definitely got my attention despite the lack of gameplay in it. I am not holding my breath because of Ubisoft and that it is set in Ashan, but it has potential and even if it is bad, I will ignore it like 9.

Also this:
Lord13 wrote: -First person party based - done
-Turn based - done
-Both combat and riddles - done

Will it be a really good game? Dunno yet, I do not trust Ubisoft for sure, all the other details (story, atmosphere etc) will shape its quality.

Larec
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Larec » 15 May 2013, 09:35

Deftclaw Redreaver wrote:So, Everyone! What is the thing you're most anticipated about Might and Magic X? Personally I don't think I will bother buying the game as I only like the HoMM III and Might and Magic 6-8 (enroth-Erathia- Antagaritch) Because I find the games by Ubisoft is just boring and I don't like it
Is this the RPGcodex?

You haven't even played the game or even seen any real gameplay footage yet you are already passing significant and final judgement upon it? Ubisoft may still carry the stigma of their always-on DRM and horrible PC port past, but they've come a long way since then. Just take a look at what they've done for the Far Cry series and how great the third one turned out if you don't believe me.

Also, remember that Ubi isn't making this game. A team of developers who were assembled specifically to make a true MM (Limbic) is doing it.

In the interviews they've stated this game is being done because Ubi wants to see if the market is truly out there for these types of RPGs. With Grimrock being a success they feel it is....and if close minded grumps like you refuse to even give it a chance then don't gripe when you never see another true CRPG again.

Truly, I despise thinking like this. To quote an oft-used meme "This is why we can't have nice things"

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 15 May 2013, 10:10

Larec wrote:In the interviews they've stated this game is being done because Ubi wants to see if the market is truly out there for these types of RPGs. With Grimrock being a success they feel it is....and if close minded grumps like you refuse to even give it a chance then don't gripe when you never see another true CRPG again.
I wouldn't mind. They would all be Ashan-based anyway, so they might as well not exist in the first place. Also, one's preliminary judgement is just as good as another's. What if the game turns out to be horrible in every way after all? You don't know it won't just yet, either, since it's not released yet.

phamlongtuan
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby phamlongtuan » 15 May 2013, 11:02

Deftclaw Redreaver wrote:So, Everyone! What is the thing you're most anticipated about Might and Magic X? Personally I don't think I will bother buying the game as I only like the HoMM III and Might and Magic 6-8 (enroth-Erathia- Antagaritch) Because I find the games by Ubisoft is just boring and I don't like it
Come on guy. Make it real, more time you spend on Ubisoft, more resource and capital they can reinvest for your "future M&M".

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 15 May 2013, 13:08

GreatEmerald wrote:
Larec wrote:In the interviews they've stated this game is being done because Ubi wants to see if the market is truly out there for these types of RPGs. With Grimrock being a success they feel it is....and if close minded grumps like you refuse to even give it a chance then don't gripe when you never see another true CRPG again.
I wouldn't mind. They would all be Ashan-based anyway, so they might as well not exist in the first place. Also, one's preliminary judgement is just as good as another's. What if the game turns out to be horrible in every way after all? You don't know it won't just yet, either, since it's not released yet.
Does the setting of the story matters more than the gameplay? I prefer the old universe too, but if it's a good game, it won't matter that much. MM9 was in the old universe and what did that matter? It still had a totally boring story and gameplay-wise it was a mess. Do I prefer a good Ashan story over a boring Ancients story? Certainly.

Anyway, the thing is that the thread-starter stated that the game doesn't interest him because it's being made by Ubisoft. No matter how the game turns out, this is judgement based on nothing. Your are defending him, basically arguing that his judgement may arbitrarily turn out to be right.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 15 May 2013, 13:19

hellegennes wrote:Does the setting of the story matters more than the gameplay? I prefer the old universe too, but if it's a good game, it won't matter that much. MM9 was in the old universe and what did that matter? It still had a totally boring story and gameplay-wise it was a mess. Do I prefer a good Ashan story over a boring Ancients story? Certainly.
It does to me. The setting and the art direction.
hellegennes wrote:Anyway, the thing is that the thread-starter stated that the game doesn't interest him because it's being made by Ubisoft. No matter how the game turns out, this is judgement based on nothing. Your are defending him, basically arguing that his judgement may arbitrarily turn out to be right.
The OP said that Ubisoft games have so far been boring. MMX may very well be boring as well. Saying otherwise is just as baseless at this point. So I'm not defending, I'm rather saying that both sides are doing the exact same thing – presuming.

Xdarkon
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Xdarkon » 15 May 2013, 13:27

Larec wrote:
Is this the RPGcodex?

You haven't even played the game or even seen any real gameplay footage yet you are already passing significant and final judgement upon it? Ubisoft may still carry the stigma of their always-on DRM and horrible PC port past, but they've come a long way since then. Just take a look at what they've done for the Far Cry series and how great the third one turned out if you don't believe me.

Also, remember that Ubi isn't making this game. A team of developers who were assembled specifically to make a true MM (Limbic) is doing it.

In the interviews they've stated this game is being done because Ubi wants to see if the market is truly out there for these types of RPGs. With Grimrock being a success they feel it is....and if close minded grumps like you refuse to even give it a chance then don't gripe when you never see another true CRPG again.

Truly, I despise thinking like this. To quote an oft-used meme "This is why we can't have nice things"
yes indeed, I am judging it, I only like the NWC and 3DO World. That is my oppinion and I am not forcing it onto anyone

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 15 May 2013, 15:19

GreatEmerald wrote:
hellegennes wrote:Anyway, the thing is that the thread-starter stated that the game doesn't interest him because it's being made by Ubisoft. No matter how the game turns out, this is judgement based on nothing. Your are defending him, basically arguing that his judgement may arbitrarily turn out to be right.
The OP said that Ubisoft games have so far been boring. MMX may very well be boring as well. Saying otherwise is just as baseless at this point. So I'm not defending, I'm rather saying that both sides are doing the exact same thing – presuming.
No, the other side is not presuming anything. We just point out that making a decision based on presumption is nonsensical.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 16 May 2013, 20:27

phamlongtuan wrote:Come on guy. Make it real, more time you spend on Ubisoft, more resource and capital they can reinvest for your "future M&M".
This sounds like a presumption to me.

acastic
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby acastic » 20 May 2013, 11:55

Any indication on what the system requirements will be for M&M X?

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 20 May 2013, 12:44

Not yet, no, but I get the feeling that they won't be too high.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Return to “Might and Magic”