Your Favourite M&M

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Which is your favourite Might & Magic game?

Might & Magic
No votes
Might & Magic II
3%
Might & Magic III
3%
Might & Magic IV
3%
Might & Magic V
8%
Might & Magic VI
39%
Might & Magic VII
35%
Might & Magic VIII
9%
Might & Magic IX
1%

Total votes: 79

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Your Favourite M&M

Unread postby Kalah » 22 Mar 2013, 21:04

Which is your favourite Might & Magic game?
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 22 Mar 2013, 21:23

Overall, 7. Great score, dungeons about the right size for their reward, fairly good class balance, and felt finished.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Nomad
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Nomad » 22 Mar 2013, 21:31

MMX please.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 22 Mar 2013, 21:39

Yeap, For Blood and Honor for me as well. Not as primitive as The Mandate of Heaven and not as limited and breakable as Day of the Destroyer.

From the second generation, it would be Isles of Terra. It has a very nice hireling mechanic, where they actually feel like hirelings. Plus the Arena. And it overall it just felt not as tedious as World of Xeen.

And from the first generation, I'd still go with Search for the Inner Sanctum. The armies and overall unbalance of Gates to Another World doesn't sit quite as well with me.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 22 Mar 2013, 23:00

GreatEmerald wrote:Yeap, For Blood and Honor for me as well. Not as primitive as The Mandate of Heaven and not as limited and breakable as Day of the Destroyer.

From the second generation, it would be Isles of Terra. It has a very nice hireling mechanic, where they actually feel like hirelings. Plus the Arena. And it overall it just felt not as tedious as World of Xeen.

And from the first generation, I'd still go with Search for the Inner Sanctum. The armies and overall unbalance of Gates to Another World doesn't sit quite as well with me.
1st generation: MM2. Playing without automapping was infuriating.

2nd generation: MM5. Combining the worlds into 1 big game was done very well (I consider the WoX 3rd ending questline as part of 5 because that is how the clue books were written). In addition, the Darkside ending was the best in the series and ties up the story of the first several games very well.

3rd generation: MM7. With the limitations on expertise the game gave classes a much stronger identity than 6, although 6 still has the best dungeons in the series. The ability to have 2 paths for the second part of the game really helped replayability and really helped develop the characters and story (especially the History book). The tie-ins with MM3 were just a bonus. 8 had plenty of signs of being released too early (Hammerhands) and too many strong characters were accessible too early (Cauri, Blazen, 2 dragons).

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 22 Mar 2013, 23:29

I honestly can't pick one. Six & 7 were similar, but I liked 8 just for the solo aspect.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 23 Mar 2013, 11:04

One doesn't simply pick favorites. So I left Sorpigal, and then went SWNN. A toothless gypsy seer said: "Your favorite game is M&M IX."
This seems to be true. I played it longer than other M&M games. I've finished it more times than others. And I've modified it even after Bones' patch, e.g. I made Thjorgard's Armorer to buy thjorad much faster, in but one dialog session.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 23 Mar 2013, 11:31

That is indeed surprising ... most of the guys I've talked to are pretty much unanimous that MM9 was the worst of them all ...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 23 Mar 2013, 11:35

I prefer Mandate of Heaven over Blood and Honor, simply because it had more and bigger dungeons.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 23 Mar 2013, 13:14

Secret_Holder wrote:I prefer Mandate of Heaven over Blood and Honor, simply because it had more and bigger dungeons.
Odd, that's why I don't like MM6 as much as MM7
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 23 Mar 2013, 14:47

i am surprised you even included MM1-5, since the majority around here is MM6-9 fans.

not me though, i voted MM3.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 23 Mar 2013, 16:26

MM6, hands down. There are more than one reasons. It was longer and harder than 7 and had the best dungeons in the whole series, by far. Also, I quite like the story and how it blended the elements of scifi, the stories of the Heroes games and was so full or references to both previous MM titles and popular culture at the same time.

MM7 was great, but although in theory the restriction of classes made for a more strategic play, I wasn't too happy about it. It felt like it was developed by Apple. Restrictions is not my thing. In the same fashion, the game did not really allowed you to visit every place right from the start, while MM6 did. Overall, it felt much more linear.

MM8 was rushed out, unpolished and empty. It was a good game, however.

MM9 was horrendous.

The first five instalments I played after playing MM6. Hence, I can't judge them objectively, because I already adored MM6 by the time I got my hands on them. Nevertheless, they were all great games, with 4&5 perhaps being the best.

vicheron
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby vicheron » 24 Mar 2013, 02:06

Even though M&M 6 and 7 were better games, there's something about M&M 8 that made it so much more addictive for me. Sure, it was easier to break the game but it wasn't a huge problem and it was fun to do that sometimes. I also liked the fact that the earliest parts of M&M8 wasn't as tedious and could be easily skipped even if you had to game the system a bit.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 24 Mar 2013, 03:37

Yes, MM8 had some great ideas. If they gave the game one more year in development and a new graphics engine, the game would have rocked. As it stands, it feels quite unpolished.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 24 Mar 2013, 07:20

Kalah wrote:That is indeed surprising...
Surprising? After close look at my avatar? :D

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 24 Mar 2013, 08:34

VIII. First one I played, so that's my standard. When I got around to play VII, it was already too dated.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 24 Mar 2013, 13:37

Bandobras Took wrote:
Secret_Holder wrote:I prefer Mandate of Heaven over Blood and Honor, simply because it had more and bigger dungeons.
Odd, that's why I don't like MM6 as much as MM7
For each, his own. :)

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 24 Mar 2013, 19:43

MM2. It was my first and therefore my favourite.

asthrab
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby asthrab » 24 Mar 2013, 22:03

Definetly VI (my first MM game and the one that make me addict with MM series) :D

Coldy
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Coldy » 24 Mar 2013, 22:23

Still play Might & Magic VII to this day, fantastic game :)

Return to “Might and Magic”