Do you WANT Ubisoft to make MMX?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Do you want Ubisoft to make MMX?

Yes
56%
Not sure
19%
No
26%

Total votes: 43

Nic-V
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Nic-V » 20 Mar 2013, 20:45

I'm excited to see Ubisoft finally continuing the franchise! I too hope it will follow the old ways, at least to some extent. Even if it doesn't, I pray we get a good open-world RPG (preferable with some hardcore RPG-elements).
Also, it seems we'll know already tomorrow according to this tweet: https://twitter.com/MightMagicGame/stat ... 8067680258

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 20 Mar 2013, 23:16

Variol wrote:I voted yes, just so I can say "told you it was sh!te"!

If only they had 1 employee which would say, hey, I liked MM6-8, how about we don't f' with it too much?

But, they'll f' it up. They'll make the engine and graphics beyond anything that anyone can run; even though all we need need is 10 year old graphics and be perfectly happy.

that's fine though; my Intel shares are kicking ass!
That definitely seems to be the popular view. There are almost no expectations for a good game. Not just here at CH, but in most gaming forums that this topic has popped up in; people are expecting a lousy to mediocre game.

A graphics update would be fine, the issue is that writing and gameplay have been backseat to graphic enhancements for a long time in the industry. When you make a game like this there is a different set of expectations.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 20 Mar 2013, 23:25

Arret wrote:people are expecting a lousy to mediocre game.
In that case, Ubisoft can't lose, can they? ;)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 20 Mar 2013, 23:36

I agree. With a high level of hype and very low expectations, Ubi has a chance to do something good with almost no downsides other than a sunk cost.

As I already said, worst case we just pretend it doesn't exist like 9.

DeTHiCa
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby DeTHiCa » 21 Mar 2013, 21:07

ubi games have gone up in quality, recently. far cry 3 was good, asassins creed 3 was good too (atleast people say it was) and I am also excited about their new IP "watch dogs."
maybe their MMX will be good, too. it probably will not be a good MM game, but it might be an okay game by itself.
so I voted YES.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 21 Mar 2013, 21:51

DeTHiCa wrote: maybe their MMX will be good, too. it probably will not be a good MM game, but it might be an okay game by itself.
so I voted YES.
Good point DeTHiCa!

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 22 Mar 2013, 01:05

Kalah wrote:The old universe is gone forever.
Probably, but I wouldn't be so sure. At some point they may finally get bored of sitting in Ashan all the time. The way NWC was switching planets gave them a lot of creative freedom. It's possible to tie Ashan to the old universe if needed. It would be a bold move though and if it happens, then not in any near future.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

namad
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby namad » 22 Mar 2013, 22:18

ubisoft's bastardized homm game was pretty darn bad compared to the 3do classic... but let's not forget, ubisoft doesn't make games!!!!! so... the question is do we want:

"This time out it’s being developed by German team Limbic Entertainment who also revived the Heroes franchise, whom they describe as “devoted Might & Magic fans”

DEFINITELY NOT! they have a proven track record of being fairly new and having never developed a single good game! I wish ubisoft could have outsourced this project to a more well reputed and established company, this game is gonna end up awful.

I voted no because I don't want limbic entertainment making this game, I don't mind if ubisoft finance it, heck they probably own the IP so they've gotta be the ones to finance it.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 23 Mar 2013, 00:25

namad wrote:they have a proven track record of being fairly new
:lolu: I hope you see the flaw in your argument here ... :D

But seriously, dude - everybody has to start somewhere. Even if you choose a developer with less experience than on previous builds, that doesn't mean they are any less competent. The fact is that what little experience Limbic have had with Might & Magic is on a positive note; the little they have done, they have done well. In my view, this is the perfect time to get them started on a bigger project and building a game from scratch - rather than just trying to clean up the code of some daft Hungarians.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 23 Mar 2013, 10:12

^^^yup, I can think of several companies that kicked butt right out of the gate; like Sirtech, 3DO, Bethesda.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 23 Mar 2013, 13:13

You could probably add Bioware to that list.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 23 Mar 2013, 15:56

Kalah wrote:
namad wrote:they have a proven track record of being fairly new
:lolu: I hope you see the flaw in your argument here ... :D

But seriously, dude - everybody has to start somewhere. Even if you choose a developer with less experience than on previous builds, that doesn't mean they are any less competent.
May I remind everyone of Ensemble Studios whose first game was... Age of Empires?

Nomad
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Nomad » 23 Mar 2013, 19:14

Also remind that even after few patches units still continued to stuck in each other.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 23 Mar 2013, 20:00

May I remind everyone of Ensemble Studios whose first game was... Age of Empires?
Which in all honesty was just warcraft 2 ripoff. Sure it had it's charm, but there was both TA and SC released by that time, objectively making AOE somewhat poor w2 clone.
But yes, but being first game is not necessary bad thing(Think Ion storms first game was Deusex), specially for RPG where innovation and good ideas counts more than technical approach that is needed for games which need good AI, balance etc.

Flodarien
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Flodarien » 24 Mar 2013, 01:22

tress wrote:But yes, but being first game is not necessary bad thing(Think Ion storms first game was Deusex)
Ion Storm's first game was actually DaiKatanna, which was an awful game. But then they made Deus Ex. People make bad choices and actions, but that does not mean the next one won't be a genius move.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 24 Mar 2013, 01:41

Indeed, and it's not like they deliberately make bad decisions; it just means they're humans and fallible like the rest of us.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 24 Mar 2013, 03:34

tress wrote:
Which in all honesty was just warcraft 2 ripoff. Sure it had it's charm, but there was both TA and SC released by that time, objectively making AOE somewhat poor w2 clone.
Huh? What are you talking about? I loved Warcraft 2 but Age of Empires had nothing in common with it (apart from being an RTS, of course). AoE was a history-oriented strategy game, which gave an insane amount of sides to choose from. You can list similarities, but this goes for every game. Warcraft is a fantasy game, it has spells and lore, while AoE is based on history and technology.

There are interface similarities, but most games of the era used the same format, pretty much the same way most adventures used systems similar to Sierra's point and click or Lucas Arts SCUMM.

Second game by Ensemble Studios? AoE2, which was one of the best RT strategy games of all times.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 24 Mar 2013, 09:14

Ion Storm's first game was actually DaiKatanna, which was an awful game. But then they made Deus Ex. People make bad choices and actions, but that does not mean the next one won't be a genius move.
Essentially branch which made DK is completely different than one that did Dx. One was Dallas based with John Romero in front other was in Austin. Company was same in name only.
Huh? What are you talking about? I loved Warcraft 2 but Age of Empires had nothing in common with it (apart from being an RTS, of course). AoE was a history-oriented strategy game, which gave an insane amount of sides to choose from. You can list similarities, but this goes for every game. Warcraft is a fantasy game, it has spells and lore, while AoE is based on history and technology.
Well there was extreme ammount of similarities in my view. Well couple more resources(well gold replaced by food, gold used only for research, and some extra micro management for food gathering). There isnt really difference if tiers are called stone age>bronze age or town hall>keep. Races were largely same. Considering plethora of RTS coming out back then, some larger differences should have been used. It wasn't bad game but when I first ran it, I expected it to have more.

Return to “Might and Magic”