Might & Magic 10

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
JustTimmY
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby JustTimmY » 29 Mar 2013, 19:14

I hate the movement by tiles. If they will force you to follow the road and the freedom of movement outdoors will be 0, then I'll go back to M&M 6-8.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 29 Mar 2013, 21:18

Are you suspecting there will be no such thing as grass/forest tiles?
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

JustTimmY
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby JustTimmY » 29 Mar 2013, 21:33

No, I'm suspecting you will be very limited by rocks, bushes, hills, etc.

If that will be the case, no more Fly spell for example.

For now we don't know that many details about the game but so far I'm not convinced.

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Sir Charles » 30 Mar 2013, 00:48

FYI, there was a fly spell in the early tile-based MM games too. They allowed you to fly from one map section to another. C3, D2, A1, etc. They also had skills such as mountaineer and pathfinding that allowed you to pass through mountain tiles and dense forest tiles.

The PAX demo for example you could move around on the road and pathways, and the grassy areas...but not through the trees. That doesn't mean you won't be able to later on with the proper skills.
Calvin: "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless."

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 30 Mar 2013, 09:13

Did enemies re-spawn in the older tile-based games?
Last edited by Variol on 30 Mar 2013, 19:32, edited 1 time in total.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 30 Mar 2013, 10:08

Variol wrote:Did re enemies re-spawn in the older tile-based games?
Secret of the Inner Sanctum: Yes, there are only tile-based encounters, and random encounters are always a possibility, while set encounters respawn after you exit and enter the area.
Gates to Another World: Same thing, but random encounters are much rarer.
Isles of Terra: Enemies respawn from enemy generators. You get a lot of money and items if you destroy the generators. This led people to leave generators, as the enemies that spawn also give you extra money.
World of XEEN: Enemies don't respawn. This led to a finite amount of money in the world, which is not sufficient for training up to highest levels.

Dharcness
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dharcness » 30 Mar 2013, 12:54

I was hoping for a free roaming expansive world like in MM6~MM8. Not to mention a continuation of MM1~MM9 storylines/lore.

Well, here's to hoping MM10 will turn out good.

Btw, looking at MM10 gameplay. I'm sure some people will scream "zomg! It's a Legend of Grimrock Clone!!11!!"

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 30 Mar 2013, 12:58

Dharcness wrote:Btw, looking at MM10 gameplay. I'm sure some people will scream "zomg! It's a Legend of Grimrock Clone!!11!!"
Will? They have been screaming that for quite a while now.

JustTimmY
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby JustTimmY » 30 Mar 2013, 13:14

Legend of Grimrock is a good game but M&M X should be a lot more.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 30 Mar 2013, 13:35

JustTimmY wrote:Legend of Grimrock is a good game but M&M X should be a lot more.
It is.
For starters, MMX is not only about dungeon-crawling.

JustTimmY
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby JustTimmY » 30 Mar 2013, 14:09

I'm waiting to see how a city looks, where and how you find the trainers or quests.

I'm hoping for a big world to explore.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 30 Mar 2013, 15:57

GreatEmerald wrote:World of XEEN: Enemies don't respawn. This led to a finite amount of money in the world, which is not sufficient for training up to highest levels.
For me that and maybe generators are the best options. I can't imagine myself playing a game with that crazy respawn rules of MM1&2 (respawning set encounters part mostly) you described.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 30 Mar 2013, 18:31

Constant enemy respawn is a thing for either 20-year old RPGs or adventure/action RPGs like Diablo, Legend of Zelda, etc.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 30 Mar 2013, 20:02

GreatEmerald wrote:World of XEEN: Enemies don't respawn.
Nightshadow does. Winterkill does as well, though not after being cleansed.
hellegennes wrote:Constant enemy respawn is a thing for either 20-year old RPGs or adventure/action RPGs like Diablo, Legend of Zelda, etc.
Diablo? There's no respawn in Diablo. Well, you may restart the game, preserving your experience, skills and stuff, but it's not respawn.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 30 Mar 2013, 20:30

GreatEmerald wrote: Will? They have been screaming that for quite a while now.

To be fair, if Grimrock didn't succeed we wouldn't have seen any MMX... or at least not with it's current gameplay...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 30 Mar 2013, 20:44

GrayFace wrote:For me that and maybe generators are the best options. I can't imagine myself playing a game with that crazy respawn rules of MM1&2 (respawning set encounters part mostly) you described.
It's not that bad, as most of the time you don't need to fight them more than once anyway. There is usually no reason to leave the area and come back, and until you do so, set encounters won't respawn. Plus, there are certain spells that make going through areas much easier, like Jump, Teleport, Etherealise, Surface, and (in MM2) Lloyd's Beacon.

The fact that you can only save at inns is annoying, though, I'll admit that. Though in MM2 Lloyd's Beacon mostly negates that, and in MM1 dungeons are usually pretty straight-forward, so you don't need to save that often anyway.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 30 Mar 2013, 21:17

tolich wrote:
GreatEmerald wrote:World of XEEN: Enemies don't respawn.
Nightshadow does. Winterkill does as well, though not after being cleansed.
hellegennes wrote:Constant enemy respawn is a thing for either 20-year old RPGs or adventure/action RPGs like Diablo, Legend of Zelda, etc.
Diablo? There's no respawn in Diablo. Well, you may restart the game, preserving your experience, skills and stuff, but it's not respawn.
Monsters do respawn in all three Diablo games (same goes for Titan's Quest, which is very similar to Diablo). They just don't respawn within the same game session. Of course the most egregious example would be Sacred, which had a respawn timer and monsters would respawn rapidly, in the same session. If my memory serves me right, Diablo 1 only had monster respawn on multiplayer.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 30 Mar 2013, 21:20

GreatEmerald wrote: The fact that you can only save at inns is annoying, though, I'll admit that. Though in MM2 Lloyd's Beacon mostly negates that, and in MM1 dungeons are usually pretty straight-forward, so you don't need to save that often anyway.
Saving in any place you like allows for more difficult and challenging dungeons and game experience in general. Because there's no excuse not to. If you have to save at certain points, the game need to be easier, otherwise it's frustrating.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 31 Mar 2013, 04:29

Today it's only fit for MMOs. In Diablo 2 it was a rediculously stupid decision.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 31 Mar 2013, 11:02

In a non-linear game, we need to be able to save, because there's no way of knowing how tough an area is.

Return to “Might and Magic”