Might & Magic 10

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Nomad
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Nomad » 26 Mar 2013, 23:16

Why, I'm not paying for drow elves, orc shamans from warcraft and all this emo-fantasy that is going on around lately. I do adore Might and Magic, but won't accept just any bone thrown at me with MM's lable on it.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 26 Mar 2013, 23:21

That tiny bit of actual "game" in the demo got me interested. The enemy looked quite good. :)

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 27 Mar 2013, 00:55

Nomad wrote:Why, I'm not paying for drow elves,
So you hated MM8.
orc shamans from warcraft
Then the Ogre Magi of MM8 must have pissed you off as well.
and all this emo-fantasy that is going on around lately. I do adore Might and Magic, but won't accept just any bone thrown at me with MM's lable on it.
Or even actual Might and Magic games from NWC?
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 27 Mar 2013, 05:30

Bandobras Took wrote:So you hated MM8.
They're not drows.
Bandobras Took wrote:Then the Ogre Magi of MM8 must have pissed you off as well.
Are they from Warcraft?
Bandobras Took wrote:Or even actual Might and Magic games from NWC?
Emo-fantasy?

Nomad
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Nomad » 27 Mar 2013, 06:00

Bandobras Took wrote:Or even actual Might and Magic games from NWC?
NWC picked that direction in MM9, that's why everybody hates it will all profoundness of their souls.
Stil, there was no *beep* drow fan service.
Bandobras Took wrote:Then the Ogre Magi of MM8 must have pissed you off as well.
Nope, only tribal sprititually-rich complex-society orcs that are bound by blood to the demons are pissing me off.

Mod note: Disrespect the game if you want to. Don't disrespect people. GC

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 27 Mar 2013, 07:19

Nomad wrote:that's why everybody hates it
Not everybody. I know at least one guy who doesn't.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Mar 2013, 09:29

In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Nomad
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Nomad » 27 Mar 2013, 11:20

Kalah wrote:Seems like JVC is happy. :)
http://n-e-m-o.over-blog.net/article-x- ... 59977.html
Why jvc never writes to us :S

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 27 Mar 2013, 13:03

Mod note: A sexual orientation should not be used as an insult. Be civil.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 27 Mar 2013, 13:36

The what? I can't read that...

Nomad
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Nomad » 27 Mar 2013, 13:50

GreatEmerald wrote:The what? I can't read that...
Well it says how awesome PAX was, how kind it was of Ubi to present such incredible game, how everybody wonderfully fell in love with gameplay after trailer, blah blah, and how on the way back jvc personally came in a helicompter to our designed and congratulated him on ruining mm franchise in persons.
Last edited by Nomad on 27 Mar 2013, 13:54, edited 2 times in total.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 27 Mar 2013, 13:50

Dumped it in Google Translate, but it's a start:

So here he is finally announced. "My" project for which I am fighting for over three years. The tenth episode of Might & Magic, which I officiates time Creative Designer and Writer.

It is at PAX East in Boston that Might & Magic X: Legacy made ​​its grand debut. A glimpse of what RPG developed Limbic Entertainment. We wanted it old-school: first-person view, a team of four adventurers traveling in box by box, turn-based battles. Gameplay inspired from my favorite episode of the series, World of Xeen.

The version presented a working version was pre-Alpha, far from being final, but the reaction of visitors was very enthusiastic. I just returned from Boston morale pumped. The coming months will be intense, but the rewards are worth it :)

History and put me on a cloud, on my return to Boston I found the following message in my inbox:

Hi Julien,

Congratulations on the announce, I love the homage to the older games in the trailer :)
Looks like fun, can not wait to play!

jvc-

(Hey Julien, Congratulations for posting, I love the tribute to old episodes in the trailer. The game looks fun, I can not wait to play!-JVC)

"JVC", for those who do not know, is none other than Jon Van Caneghem, creator of Might & Magic and Heroes, who currently works at the resurrection of the Command & Conquer series.

Now only remains to make a good game :)

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 27 Mar 2013, 13:50

GreatEmerald wrote:

The what? I can't read that...
part that matters is in English.
Hi Julien,

Congratulations on the announce, I love the homage to the older games in the trailer :)
Looks like fun, can’t wait to play!

-jvc

Nomad
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Nomad » 27 Mar 2013, 13:52

Ew, mod, why so mad. It was a sinless joke. I am not making fun of tolich being gay, its his right to do so. I just noted that one should be really special to like mm9. But that is a joke also! :devil:

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 27 Mar 2013, 14:05

tolich wrote:
Bandobras Took wrote:So you hated MM8.
They're not drows.
Er . . . what else do you call dark elves?
Nomad wrote:Stil, there was no *beep* drow fan service.
What else do you call the dark elves of Jadame, especially (if you are using "fan service" in the common sense) the underdressed female PCs?
Nomad wrote:NWC picked that direction in MM9, that's why everybody hates it will all profoundness of their souls.
Ignoring the recklessly inaccurate exaggeration, the most common reason I saw that people were disappointed with MM9 is that it was unfinished. In case it isn't clear, that means they wanted more of the game, not less.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 27 Mar 2013, 18:26

Bandobras Took wrote:Er . . . what else do you call dark elves?
Typical drow:
Black skin, white hair, muscled arms and body.

Typical MMVIII dark elf:
A bit darkened skin, dark hair, thin arms, low Endurance.

They are very different.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 27 Mar 2013, 20:23

You mean like every single resident of Ravenshore and Alvar?

Nomad
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Nomad » 27 Mar 2013, 21:11

Bandobras Took
Why are you persisting? All this drow dummotry began only around 2002 when neverwinter nights and lineage 2 popularized doll elves fanservice.
No one played MM8 because of drow tits simply because there weren't any. We are talking about exaggeration over this idea and putting too much on sexual & grind aspect to RPGs, apart from many simplifications, to please schoolboys and majority, because schoolboys do like tits and do like to win.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 27 Mar 2013, 22:32

Nomad wrote:Bandobras Took
Why are you persisting? All this drow dummotry began only around 2002 when neverwinter nights and lineage 2 popularized doll elves fanservice.
Please get your history correct; the drow mania began with R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt, and the objectifying of the clichéd matriarchal society came well before that, as TSR was then still in its "generate sales with chainmail bikinis" phase.
No one played MM8 because of drow tits simply because there weren't any. We are talking about exaggeration over this idea and putting too much on sexual & grind aspect to RPGs, apart from many simplifications, to please schoolboys and majority, because schoolboys do like tits and do like to win.
It is the easiest thing in the world to make unsupported and pejorative claims. I'll give you an example:

Schoolboys and the majority like to refer to people as schoolboys and the majority.

Please provide evidence that nobody played MM8 because they liked looking at the paper dolls or the nagas. Please explain why the MM7 conscripts/fighters are dressed in chain bikini bottoms and why the Tularean Elves have open vests (or are we only concerned with fan service if it happens to be of a particular skin color? In that case, what about the cannibals of MM6?)

At the very least, please stop trying to pretend that marketing based on the sexualization of exotic female humanoids is some sort of recent development, or that it was absent from Might and Magic when NWC was in charge.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 28 Mar 2013, 00:29

^^That always bugged me about the games. I mean, who the heck walks around practically necked?? 8|
Even the peasants were fully dressed!

Return to “Might and Magic”