So ... Any Thoughts On The Big "X" On The Ubi Site

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 25 Mar 2013, 06:57

So now we wait to see if Ubi learned to not use DRM.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 25 Mar 2013, 08:06

hellegennes wrote:According to Polygon, Might and Magic X will be tile-based and it's been co-developed by Limbic and Ubisoft Paris.
You move through the world one pace at a time, and with each step, something may or may not happen — an enemy might attack, or a character might give you a quest.
So it's step back to MM1-5 instead of fully exploarable world like in MM6-9. I guess no Fly spell too.
You control a four-member party chosen from 12 typical fantasy classes like elves, dwarves, orcs and mages
How you can't love press - they always twist something. :D
Their main goal is "being truly faithful to the series," said Erwan Le Breton
(...)
Le Breton estimated that Might and Magic X Legacy will take about 25 hours to complete
Indeed, it's "being truly faithful to the series" as Erwan said, yeah... :P

I understand that today games can't be as long as previous MMs, but usinig words as above is just wrong.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 25 Mar 2013, 09:16

Avonu wrote:So it's step back to MM1-5 instead of fully exploarable world like in MM6-9. I guess no Fly spell too.
Excuse me? I like my Fly spell in both Secret of the Inner Sanctum and Gates to Another World just fine. The only reason it wasn't there in second generation games is that there were portal doors instead.

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 25 Mar 2013, 10:14

hellegennes wrote:According to Polygon, Might and Magic X will be tile-based and it's been co-developed by Limbic and Ubisoft Paris.

They also say it's gonna be released on September as a downloadable game. So no physical copy this time.
I had mys suspicions that it would be a downloadable game, when I saw the trailer.
Ubisoft are probably not willing to risk spending money on a full-priced game, if it isn't going to sell.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 25 Mar 2013, 11:22

GreatEmerald wrote:I like my Fly spell in both Secret of the Inner Sanctum and Gates to Another World just fine. The only reason it wasn't there in second generation games is that there were portal doors instead.
I am just saying, that with "tiles-world" Fly spell has not really use. You can do the same with Town Portal and Teleportaion spells. Not to mention you can always run away on your foot (I hope developers remebered about this option).
Fly spell has more use in environments like in MM6-9, not in world when you "jump" from one tile to another.

thrakk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby thrakk » 25 Mar 2013, 12:19

Any excitement I had for this game is diminished now that I know it's tile based. Goodbye gameplay that is original to mm6-8, hello something that has been done a million times over.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 25 Mar 2013, 14:34

thrakk wrote:Any excitement I had for this game is diminished now that I know it's tile based. Goodbye gameplay that is original to mm6-8, hello something that has been done a million times over.
How many CRPGs in the last ten years have been tile-based?

How many of them have been turn-based?

I'm more than happy to see something that's been done a million times over, because it certainly *feels* like it's been done far less than the real-time, voice-acted, pseudo-party-based RPG.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 25 Mar 2013, 15:13

What is tile-based, anyway? Care to explain it to someone who played Heroes but never M&M?
:ashamed:
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 25 Mar 2013, 15:26

What is tile-based, anyway? Care to explain it to someone who played Heroes but never M&M?
Tile based as in chess. Party moves for whole tile at time opposed to way that normally happens in most first person games. Which makes most levels cross able in 20-30 steps. Combat usually happens either point blank(nearest tile), or ranged up to two tiles(depends on game).
Any excitement I had for this game is diminished now that I know it's tile based. Goodbye gameplay that is original to mm6-8, hello something that has been done a million times over.
During modern days (I mean ones that are made after period which had such game type as mainstream w7 mmwox, eob), I can only count couple games (devils whiskey(not really widely known)) and LoG, which in no way amounts for millions. Still regressing to such old school is kinda trolling even, I really hope they will release proper mm afterwards. They should check w&w, that is what can be called old school game in somewhat modern times.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 25 Mar 2013, 16:06

Kalah wrote:What is tile-based, anyway? Care to explain it to someone who played Heroes but never M&M?
Open google earth. Zoom to google street level. Try to navigate. This is exactly what a tile-based game feels like. Older games of course did not feature free-view but MMX will.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 25 Mar 2013, 16:21

But it's simpler, right? That means easier to make and less complicate for a small company like Limbic. Maybe they can do more in later games. Baby steps. ;)
I'm sure they'll tell us about the choices they make and why they made them.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 25 Mar 2013, 16:37

Essentially it's easier to design and the programmer has more control over it, because it's static. You don't have to care about clipping problems or real time combat exploits, etc. Bugs are also much easier to monitor and fix.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 25 Mar 2013, 16:41

Kalah wrote:What is tile-based, anyway? Care to explain it to someone who played Heroes but never M&M?
Heroes 1-4 are tiled games. And King's Bounty as well. Just imagine that you see what your hero sees instead of looking from upside.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 25 Mar 2013, 17:11

Not only is it simpler, but it makes such things as determining what's going to be hit by a Fireball or Meteor Shower much simpler for somebody like me, who could never really aim his Death Blossoms. :)
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

thrakk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby thrakk » 25 Mar 2013, 19:41

The trade off is now you probably won't have to aim at all...

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 25 Mar 2013, 20:49

Savetera's is also tile-based from the look of it, and I think most of us are excited about that. So, what's the difference?
Last edited by Variol on 26 Mar 2013, 00:39, edited 1 time in total.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 25 Mar 2013, 21:39

Sounds to me like a good move. Although advanced stuff would probably yield better results if they work, I hope for a game of simplicity this time around, with fewer "innovating" features.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 25 Mar 2013, 22:37

It is clearly a test for the market and is giving all the signs. Even if it isn't your exact type of gameplay, you should still probably check it out as more sales increases the chance of them making a 6-8 style game (for those who want one).

Do we know how many actual developers will be writing it? By using a tile based system, they may only need a few so long as they already have a graphics engine.

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 26 Mar 2013, 00:05

To be honest..I like that is tile based! If follows the "movement" of Legend of Grimrock (or Dungeon master, eye of the beholder etc) is really nice, I'd prefer that you can see at least 3-4 tiles away (enemies too) so you can plan your range attacks, spells, positiong, hit-and-dodge etc. Is a feature that adds more strategy at combats. Well, ofc is matter of taste, even at MnM 6-7-8 I played everything Turn based, and not like fps shooter as some ppl prefered :P I am a lil disapointed for the duration they said (about 25 hours) but I am sure that having a fresh and modern engine at our hands the modding community will create cool things! (Also maybe there is a marketing experiment, they want to see how will "sell" before invest more money/time at something bigger). Damn, who waits till september :D
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

hellegennes
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby hellegennes » 26 Mar 2013, 00:08

They probably have a finished graphics engine as this usually takes a long time to develop. It's pretty sure they're gonna be using a lot of H6's 3D models, if they want to release the game by September. If this turns out to be true, then we essentially know all about art direction.

Return to “Might and Magic”