So ... Any Thoughts On The Big "X" On The Ubi Site

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Lord13
Demon
Demon
Posts: 311
Joined: 16 Jan 2006
Location: Around Harmondale

Postby Lord13 » Mar 22 2013, 8:12

Tile based movement is great, and Legend of Grimrock proved that can be viable with modern gfx and mechanics. Also adds a lot of strategy at combats, playing with tiles and positioning, strike and strafe etc. But we do not really know if will be tile based movent yet imo, we saw like 10 secs of gameplay with 1 sec of movement :P

Ok, here is my advanced wish-list for the game (since the basic triplete is oficially done! First person, Party based, Turn based

-Paper dolls! The classic 2d ones with good artwork or why not fresh modern 3d models

-Party formation, like 2 of the 4 being the front line and 2 the back, which will affect melee hitting, defence, % to be hit etc

-I really really hope that they will not use 3d rooms for "interior NPC talking", but animated artwork like the older MnM parts (except IX).

Too soon to talk about story or smth, we need more information, is interesting though (not bad, not good, we will see) that from the story will go around ONE town (maybe will be minor camps/villages around?)

And the most important that some fellow MnM funs already told before, we will have finally a new MnM game, with moder engine etc. This mean that MnM community, modders etc will have a new MnM tool at their hands with the possibility to create new mods, add ons, fixes etc. Is great to add a new "weapon" at the more creative part of MnM community ;)
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

User avatar
Nic-V
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 5
Joined: 16 Feb 2007

Postby Nic-V » Mar 22 2013, 11:03

It doers seem like a low-budget way for Ubisoft to test the waters and see if new Might & Magic games have potential to be successful. Which I think they absolutely do as long as they manage to make the game big and engaging enough, and actually bring back memories from the "good old days".

User avatar
thrakk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 34
Joined: 13 Jul 2010

Postby thrakk » Mar 22 2013, 16:28

I really don't want tile-based. The game would become a little too much like Legend of Grimlock; which was fun but I don't want a MM game to delve into a territory that's already been covered, and Grimlock is already getting a sequel. A Grimlock clone (but with more skills/class stuff/environments/npcs) would be a wasted opportunity to go back to a world with flying, intricate curvy caves and dungeons, large open landscapes with hidden nooks and crannies, and plentiful amounts of viewpoints for marveling at scenery.

User avatar
StoneCold
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 14
Joined: 15 Aug 2011

Postby StoneCold » Mar 22 2013, 18:11

Sheltem and Corak or BUST!

User avatar
Variol
Pit Lord
Pit Lord
Posts: 1249
Joined: 05 Sep 2008

Postby Variol » Mar 22 2013, 19:49

Does someone have a screenshot or video of a "tile-based game?

My letter to Ubi,

Dear Ubi,
It's me, Variol.
I have been playing NES and SNES games lately to get my RPG fix. This means that my graphic standards are pretty low. I just want a fun game that looks "ok" and runs fast! I liked all the weapons/armour/items from MM6-8. MM9 items were too small to appreciate.

Thanks

Love Variol, :)

User avatar
Variol
Pit Lord
Pit Lord
Posts: 1249
Joined: 05 Sep 2008

Postby Variol » Mar 22 2013, 20:02

Oh, any guesses as to whether the 2 NPC's will be coming back?

namad
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 25
Joined: 15 Feb 2009

Postby namad » Mar 22 2013, 22:20

ubisoft might be a bit dumb but they own the IP, they've gotta be involved in MMX if it's to happen at all, from my understanding. what I hate though is their selecting unproven developer limbic entertainment to make the game. selecting limbic entertainment basically says, ubisoft doesn't care about this project, they don't care if it's good, they're gonna rush it out before it's done and they aren't bothering to pay for a good development team in the first place. that's bad.

User avatar
Kalah
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 19998
Joined: 24 Nov 2005

Postby Kalah » Mar 23 2013, 0:20

namad wrote:selecting unproven developer limbic entertainment to make the game (...) basically says, ubisoft doesn't care about this project


I'm not what you'd call "happy" with what Ubisoft have done over the past few years, but I can't agree with this. First of all, designating Limbic as "unproven" is a false premise; they have done very well handling the H6 patching and DLCs and as such there is no reason why they should not be given further tasks.

Also, while I would certainly agree that the M&M series is not AAA for Ubisoft, the amount of time they have spent developing the brand and taking it to new platforms over a number of years is more than indicative that they care enough to stick with it.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

User avatar
GrayFace
Dragon
Dragon
Posts: 1456
Joined: 29 Nov 2005

Postby GrayFace » Mar 23 2013, 6:30

Switching developers all the time is no better.

Macros the Black wrote:What I mean is, judging from the trailer, it seems the whole world will be tile-based similar to the recent Legend of Grimrock.

Damn, indeed! :scared: That's bad. The only upside to it is ease of modding (and world creation for them in the 1st place).
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

User avatar
savetara
Dead Philosopher
Dead Philosopher
Posts: 399
Joined: 09 Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Contact:

Postby savetara » Mar 23 2013, 9:20

Well, judging by the site, it does say that it is turn based, so I am indeed going to assume and hopefully I am right this is going to be tile based similar to mm3-5. I am personally in favor if that style. MM6 was my favorite of the series, but I always used turn-based combat. Real time just seems more like an action rpg or fps IMO. Might be handy to have both options available for different players, but if it comes down to one choice I am definitely voting for tile-based.
MIGHT AND MAGIC INSPIRED GAME: Legend of Erthia - Armageddon!
https://www.facebook.com/thelegendoferthia

User avatar
Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman
Posts: 594
Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Location: Up North

Postby Talin_Trollbane » Mar 23 2013, 14:44

Macros the Black wrote:
Nomad wrote:So Sheltem finally came to destroy this crappy world?

Hahahahaha, nice.

I dunno, it may sound strange but I wish they stuck a little more to the MM6-8 gameplay than the 1-5 gameplay. What I mean is, judging from the trailer, it seems the whole world will be tile-based similar to the recent Legend of Grimrock. I think I would rather see a more flexible engine, capable of normal, real time movement in a dynamic world with turn-based combat (or the choice or real time or turn-based combat). I really liked that system in MM6-8, and it's one of the reasons those games are so special to me.


personally i feel more at home with grid-based MM's, MM6-MM9 felt more like FPS RPG games (specially when you get blasters, woohoo zap zap) to me.

also, Sheltem was nuked int he face by Corak in the end of Darkside, doubt he could have survived, but you never know.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

User avatar
hellegennes
D'oh
D'oh
Posts: 842
Joined: 04 May 2009

Postby hellegennes » Mar 23 2013, 16:10

namad wrote:ubisoft might be a bit dumb but they own the IP, they've gotta be involved in MMX if it's to happen at all, from my understanding. what I hate though is their selecting unproven developer limbic entertainment to make the game. selecting limbic entertainment basically says, ubisoft doesn't care about this project, they don't care if it's good, they're gonna rush it out before it's done and they aren't bothering to pay for a good development team in the first place. that's bad.


As long as Ubisoft is not a state-owned company, they WILL care about making money, so there's no logic to the thought that they simply give away tasks to small companies without caring about the outcome. They do care because that's how they do money. The fact that they often do marketing and executive mistakes, doesn't mean they don't care about a good product.

Of course, as a fan you have a different definition of "care" but this thing doesn't exist. No company releases good products out of love for the fans or because they feel obliged to do so. Companies do and should care about what they make. They want their audience to be pleased, just because it will bring them more money.

So why do companies often release shoddy products or don't provide enough customer support? Well, it's because they are either incapable, have a miss or they're plainly shortsighted.

User avatar
GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff
Posts: 3329
Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Location: Netherlands

Postby GreatEmerald » Mar 23 2013, 16:46

Talin_Trollbane wrote:also, Sheltem was nuked int he face by Corak in the end of Darkside, doubt he could have survived, but you never know.


"Sheltem? It's you? I thought you were destroyed in the explosion on XEEN!"
"Yes, I am Sheltem. But I am a Sheltem, not the Sheltem."

User avatar
hellegennes
D'oh
D'oh
Posts: 842
Joined: 04 May 2009

Postby hellegennes » Mar 23 2013, 17:12

They are very hard to kill.

User avatar
Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman
Posts: 594
Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Location: Up North

Postby Talin_Trollbane » Mar 24 2013, 21:42

GreatEmerald wrote:
Talin_Trollbane wrote:also, Sheltem was nuked int he face by Corak in the end of Darkside, doubt he could have survived, but you never know.


"Sheltem? It's you? I thought you were destroyed in the explosion on XEEN!"
"Yes, I am Sheltem. But I am a Sheltem, not the Sheltem."


that plot-twist would make it all feel very derp and also made me cringe.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

User avatar
GrayFace
Dragon
Dragon
Posts: 1456
Joined: 29 Nov 2005

Postby GrayFace » Mar 25 2013, 0:20

:applause: GreatEmerald

hellegennes wrote:Of course, as a fan you have a different definition of "care" but this thing doesn't exist. No company releases good products out of love for the fans or because they feel obliged to do so. Companies do and should care about what they make. They want their audience to be pleased, just because it will bring them more money.

You're wrong. Yet a publisher can't be expected to "really care" in that sense.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mar 25 2013, 1:47, edited 2 times in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

User avatar
hellegennes
D'oh
D'oh
Posts: 842
Joined: 04 May 2009

Postby hellegennes » Mar 25 2013, 0:32

I am not wrong. I do care about how good the outcome of my work is. I feel nice when I know I've done a good job. So do all people, though and the same goes for companies.

But that's different to the definition of "care" used by fans. I do care to perform well at my job as long as it pays. If it pays nothing, then it's a hobby. There was a time when videogames were made by hobbyists, but that was a gazillion years ago.

When fans say "care" they mean "care more for the outcome than the money it will bring (or what the company things it will earn them)". Yes, a company can misjudge the potential to make enough money so it is worth for a project to be greenlit but that's not a definition of "they don't care".

User avatar
GrayFace
Dragon
Dragon
Posts: 1456
Joined: 29 Nov 2005

Postby GrayFace » Mar 25 2013, 1:51

2-man indie devs are also companies. But you're certainly right if we're talking about publishers and companies of that scale.

News from a beta-tester: the game is indeed tile-based, doesn't require top notch hardware.
[edit] Correction: not a beta tester, he just has PAX demo.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mar 26 2013, 8:40, edited 1 time in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

User avatar
Arret
Hunter
Hunter
Posts: 540
Joined: 12 Oct 2011

Postby Arret » Mar 25 2013, 2:37

Sure looks like it will be a test for the market, which is probably the right decision. If it bombs they don't really lose anything.

User avatar
hellegennes
D'oh
D'oh
Posts: 842
Joined: 04 May 2009

Postby hellegennes » Mar 25 2013, 5:49

According to Polygon, Might and Magic X will be tile-based and it's been co-developed by Limbic and Ubisoft Paris.

They also say it's gonna be released on September as a downloadable game. So no physical copy this time.


Return to “Might and Magic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 14 guests