So ... Any Thoughts On The Big "X" On The Ubi Site

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

So ... Any Thoughts On The Big "X" On The Ubi Site

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 17 Mar 2013, 02:54

Other than the obvious, that is? :)
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 17 Mar 2013, 09:13

On one hand I am happy we see another RPG from this franchise. On the other I am worried, especially after we saw how "high quality" Ubisoft games were and how many simplifications they had.
Also so-called RPGs from big companies are novadays often dull, short and have many DLCs. I fear we could have such game, where MM9 would look like bug free. :P
On the third hand :P Legend of Grimrock sold not so bad, so maybe there is a chance we get good game... but it is hard to tell for today.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 17 Mar 2013, 16:06

I believe that they mean 'Children of the Void' or something alike.

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 17 Mar 2013, 20:00

since it is made of old Might and Magic item/PC textures we should assume it wont be like their other (ahem) "Might and Magic" shit?

i dunno, i am both scared and thrilled at this.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

Nomad
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Nomad » 17 Mar 2013, 20:11

Talin_Trollbane wrote:since it is made of old Might and Magic item/PC textures we should assume it wont be like their other (ahem) "Might and Magic" ****?

i dunno, i am both scared and thrilled at this.
Why, would they suddenly just give up on that twisted franchise they've been throwing millions all these last years?
Ubi makes money, and all them old textures, that's the simpliest way to make some monies from old fans.
U can expect much big words about heritage, franchise history, "angel evolution", but in the end you will pay for a dull dlc on Frostbite 2 with all "long franchise heritage" being implemented in two-three easter eggs. It's ubi, man.

Ah, totally forgot to mention anime archangels.

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 17 Mar 2013, 21:09

Talin_Trollbane wrote:i am both scared and thrilled at this.
That unfortunately is the way I feel too. We have been waiting so so long for MMX to be announced, and now it sort of has, I don't want them to make it. After their ordinary H5 attempt and their shambolic H6 effort, which is the worst in the series, I have zero faith that they will deliver anything near what I am hoping for.

We live in hope....

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 17 Mar 2013, 21:10

It will depend on the developer. Ubi is just a publisher and screwer of story and some other things.
As for what "x" may mean, I don't think there's any way it could mean something else. Guess it would be called "Might&Magic X" after all, although they previously said they won't make a game with that name. I'm glad they're making it, that's great news!
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby legendoferthia » 18 Mar 2013, 05:44

I couldn't find the picture on the site initially, but thankful for the person who shared the link I seen the picture. Got my interest!
Last edited by legendoferthia on 19 Mar 2013, 01:24, edited 1 time in total.
MIGHT AND MAGIC INSPIRED GAME: Legend of Erthia - Armageddon!
https://www.facebook.com/thelegendoferthia

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 18 Mar 2013, 07:52

As for what "x" may mean, I don't think there's any way it could mean something else
Agreed, and if there is any chance they meant something else, it would be just trolling, and not the funny kind.
On the other I am worried, especially after we saw how "high quality" Ubisoft games were and how many simplifications they had.
Actually I wouldn't say that ubi games had any big simplifications(resource reduction in homm6 is game play change which while seems more simplified and is not cool in terms of changing stuff which were same for 5 games, is not bad change). In fact homm3 and old mm charm was that they were not overallly complex. For example game like AOW were much more complex than homm4 but it had less publicity than homm4 even if it was way more superior game in terms of mechanics.
As for mm games, it would be naive to pretend that games were not extremely simple. Comparing to let's say bioware rpgs of the time, they didnt had even fraction of story and text they had. Mechanics were much more complex too.
Anyway simplification wont certainly be something that can mess any upcoming rpg up. Tedious gameplay (mass effect), messing up story/focusing 90% on fights for social rpg(fallout 3 ) can mess up game but not some simplification as long as its measured

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 18 Mar 2013, 12:34

tress wrote:Comparing to let's say bioware rpgs of the time, they didnt had even fraction of story and text they had.
The quality was still on par, though.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 18 Mar 2013, 15:24

The quality was still on par, though.
MM6 yes. It had somewhat revolutionary 1person free walk aspect present which at time was in no other title. I was actually extremely impressed by mm6 at the time, due to vast world, mechanics etc. (though I hadn't seen much RPG back then at all, well I had played fallout(which I extremely loved back then even though my English was way insufficient to enjoy it fully, then again it played no small role in learning it... unlike middle school... thank you PC), which is much different game, and some dungeon crawl like EOB2 which were closest thing to mm6). You could certainly feel quality written all over it, and they managed to create immersive world by using somewhat primitive means, which in my eyes is no small feat. Game doesn't have to be complex or with huge story to be immersive. As I already mentioned that is actually part of charm for both mm and homm games.

Same for mm7 , even though it had less content(much less flavour texts from npc, less locations in general), though game was way more polished.
mm8 on other hand had "devs are taking shortcuts and hurrying "written all over it, especially at the time bg2 came out, they were still using already outdated engine which looked worse than year before in mm7(sprites were much lower quality)(and yes we all know story, that NWC were forced to cut corners due to trouble with publishers, but still it prevents game from shining like other two, specially if we try to say to UBI, look how cool was nwc mm games, so dont mess it up). Well no comments on mm9.

Regarding potentially upcoming X. I am more worried that who ever is developing will try to add something from himself, leaving it mm in name only. For example for some reason any dev who is using Jagged alliance or UFO(thank God they made somewhat normal XCOM after 15 years after streak of mocking of brand) franchise, for some reason thinks that any remake should be real-time for some reason. Like they will make it single character/action like TES/Fallout or semi controllable team based like ME, both of which would not fit for sequel of mm RPG game.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 18 Mar 2013, 23:54

I'm sure Ubi will screw it up. I'd rather be honest than optimistic. :)

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 19 Mar 2013, 00:36

tress wrote: mm8 on other hand had "devs are taking shortcuts and hurrying "written all over it, especially at the time bg2 came out, they were still using already outdated engine which looked worse than year before in mm7(sprites were much lower quality)(and yes we all know story, that NWC were forced to cut corners due to trouble with publishers, but still it prevents game from shining like other two, specially if we try to say to UBI, look how cool was nwc mm games, so dont mess it up). Well no comments on mm9.
This is exactly what I would expect given Ubi's history. Regardless of the actual storyline, the game itself will suffer from being rushed.

Regarding potentially upcoming X. I am more worried that who ever is developing will try to add something from himself, leaving it mm in name only. For example for some reason any dev who is using Jagged alliance or UFO(thank God they made somewhat normal XCOM after 15 years after streak of mocking of brand) franchise, for some reason thinks that any remake should be real-time for some reason. Like they will make it single character/action like TES/Fallout or semi controllable team based like ME, both of which would not fit for sequel of mm RPG game.
It wouldn't surprise me considering Dark Messiah, but they did a pretty good job with HoMM5 all things considered. Either way it won't help that in all likelyhood they will be dumping the JVC universe. It wasn't as big a deal with heroes because the characters weren't as developed (I'm sure we all know the story about the Forge faction by now).

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 19 Mar 2013, 07:52

Ok, we all know that we talk about Ubisoft, and there are no high expectations to see a true revive. BUT, I cannot say that I am not jumping around like a little kid.... "MnM 10! MnM 10!" Haha, ok, let's think now (realistic) what we would like to see from a new part of MnM (I am 99% sure that this X means that, if is something else Ubi is really trolling us here!)

The basic elements that I expect , even for Ubi, to keep:
1) Party based (at least 4 )
2) First person view (Legend of Grimrock maybe "shocked" after all the big companies with their sales and show them that first person view rpg has funs even at 2013)
3) Turn based, or a hybrid like MnM 6+the after ones

What would make happy:
1) The return of the MnM 6-8 univerce (Erathia, Enroth etc.)
2) A mix of oldschool first person rpg with modern gfx and effects!
3) A deep skill system with ranks, trainers etc. like the old ones
4) To keep the "interiors - talks with NPCs" with beatiful artwork like the old MnM and not with 3d-rooms.

What I am afraid : A rape at artwork style and atmosphere of the old MnM, like anime-like chars or cartoon style monsters. Poor story, with cliches like "the prohecy of the upcoming hero" like Skyrim.

What will make me mad! : After all to see a japanese anime style rpg for ipad and mobiles...haha.

Anyway, time will tell ;)
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 19 Mar 2013, 08:28

X doesn't necessarily mean ten, or tenth.
It can be a cross, or a multiply sign, or just eXposition, or something else.

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 19 Mar 2013, 08:36

Is not just the X, is the X created with small pics of the older MnM RPGs. That's why i say if is not a new MnM rpg then Ubi is trolling us :P
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 19 Mar 2013, 08:46

X doesn't necessarily mean ten, or tenth.
It can be a cross, or a multiply sign, or just eXposition, or something else.
Potentially no(even though mm games were (at least6-9) were always numbered by roman numerals), but in case it's for some twist of fate meant something else it will be just trolling of mm community.
It wouldn't surprise me considering Dark Messiah
Well messiah never pretended to be mm RPG. Just as crusaders back in 3do era. Nevertheless for action with RPG elements it was pretty good, not to mention that not many games at that time dared to put violent content in their product, which is something that can be respected at some degree. For some reason it changed nowdays wit COD series(no russian etc) coming out every year.
This is exactly what I would expect given Ubi's history. Regardless of the actual storyline, the game itself will suffer from being rushed.
It is extremely dependent on which dev division they put task and how much cash they dump into it. There is no denying that AC series are quality games even though tended primarily towards console market. That of course is problem since old scool RPG is not very viable for xbox/ps, which either make it game with lesser budget, or it will have nods towards multi platform, which again is not good.

Asmodis
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Asmodis » 19 Mar 2013, 10:28

tress wrote:Potentially no(even though mm games were (at least6-9) were always numbered by roman numerals), but in case it's for some twist of fate meant something else it will be just trolling of mm community.
Watch it become a console-exclusive title. :p

PicturesOfLily
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: So ... Any Thoughts On The Big "X" On The Ubi

Unread postby PicturesOfLily » 19 Mar 2013, 11:05

My reaction:
OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD

But then again. It's ubisoft. As someone else wrote, I'm both scared and thrilled at this...

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 19 Mar 2013, 13:14

Huh. Well I'll be.

If they want this game to be successful, they can't just expect to bank in on fans of the old series. Especially not after Heroes 6. It's going to have to actually be a good game.

Of course, there's still a huge difference between a "good game" (one that makes a profit for the developers) and a true Might and Magic sequel.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Return to “Might and Magic”