Better M&M 7 Dark Party?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
forgottenlor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Better M&M 7 Dark Party?

Unread postby forgottenlor » 06 Jan 2013, 09:22

I'm looking to replay the game. My first playthrough was with a light party with the default party (Knight-Thief-Sorcerer-Cleric). I've decided on a replay, and want to use a dark party. I also want to use at least 2 different classes. I know I used probably one of the best mixes on my first go through, but wanted to try out some of the weaker hybrid classes. I'm weighing the following possibilities:

Paladin, Monk, Archer, Cleric
Knight, Monk, Archer, Cleric
Knight, Paladin, Archer, Cleric.
Knight, Monk, Paladin, Cleric

It's been a long time since I've played. Would any of these parties be a big mistake? Which would be the easiest to use?

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 06 Jan 2013, 09:48

PMAC is a bit redundant in the spell department, as you'd get 3 self spellcasters, and that's a bit overkill. KMPC has no Elemental casters at all, so it would be rather difficult. The other two choices are decent.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 06 Jan 2013, 11:59

If you want 2 different classes then I would dump the knight and thief, and probably pick up Monk and either a Paladin or archer depending on whether GM mace or master archer appeals to you more.

Alternatively, you could try a completely different playstyle and go Ranger, Archer, Archer, Cleric for a range heavy party although I wouldn't suggest it for a first playthrough.

As for the choices listed, I agree with GreatEmerald, #2 and #3 would be best.

As always in MM7 the best party, light or dark is:

Knight +
Cleric +
Sorcerer +
Anything

Unlike light magic, basic dark does virtually no good, so factor that in when deciding on a paladin or archer over something else.

forgottenlor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby forgottenlor » 06 Jan 2013, 17:58

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm thinking of going KMAC, simply because there is less overlap of skills and the Monk can take over disarming traps. MACS also seems interesting. I thought I wanted to try a more melee oriented party though.

Since I am taking a monk and he starts with learning, I have a question. Should I bother investing points in this and how many? Normally I ignore this skill.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 06 Jan 2013, 23:40

I would say the answer is "eventually". If you find the learning cap, then immediately go for GM learning. Otherwise, it simply isn't very useful until you run out of use for skill points (once you get blasters or abuse the Eeofol well).

Learning really has only 2 uses, getting levels faster and padding your final score.

Also since you are going with a monk, remember that due to how recovery time works, you are better off ignoring GM staff (since they are so slow) and staying with no weapons all game.

Bones_xa
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Bones_xa » 07 Jan 2013, 03:16

A magic based dark party that I made that I thought was pretty awesome was DDSS.
The druids get +3 to all magic skills after you become warlocks and get the dragon, and that is in addition to any various "of magic" items. The sorcs when they become liches become immune to mind and body magic so thats pretty good too.

Just something to keep in mind. I think they are the only 2 classes in MM7 that get extra such bonuses after promotions. However this type of party is probably not good for first playthrough or those unfamiliar with the game.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 07 Jan 2013, 04:53

The main problem will be no town portal, fly, or invisibility until 2nd promotion for the archer (although gate master and wind master fix most of the problems but eat 40% of your cash).
A magic based dark party that I made that I thought was pretty awesome was DDSS.
Especially dark, druid promotion is very hard as the 2nd one involves traveling to Eeofol, but then again all you really get from the 2nd promotion is mediation and alchemy. For caster heavy dark magic, CSSS just feels like cheating once you get quad shrapmetal.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 07 Jan 2013, 15:09

@OP: of those choices you listed, I think Paladin, Monk, Archer, Cleric is the best one, simply because the Monk really isn't that good at healing. He's more like a weaker Knight imo.

You could also try a Druid, if you want something other than a Cleric. This way all your classes are different from your first play-through. The game will be harder without a Cleric, but certainly not impossible.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

forgottenlor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby forgottenlor » 07 Jan 2013, 18:04

Just some history here. I've played through MM7, 8 & 9 once (in that order) , and MM6 twice. Here were my parties:

MM6 K, P, S, C
MM7 K, T, S, C
MM8 K, S, C, Dragon, Minotaur
MM9, K, C, S, S (one light, one dark)
MM6 (again) K, D, C, S

So I've always played a cleric and always played a sorcerer, and always played a knight. I've never played an archer. I did try out a druid in my second playthrough of MM6, where the class is much superior because they aren't limited magically like in MM7. That's the reason I guess I want to use an archer, and to go without either a Sorcerer or Cleric. I'm assuming that relying on a Cleric and Archer is easier than relying on a Sorcerer and a Paladin, especially since all the other characters can melee well. The Cleric can at least where decent armor. For me that's another plus over a druid.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 07 Jan 2013, 20:00

Druids can wear slightly better armour than sorcerers, though (shields).

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 08 Jan 2013, 15:50

Well, the choice of Sorcerer or Cleric to me, at least in MM7, really comes down to Lloyd's Beacon versus GM Protection from Magic...
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

forgottenlor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby forgottenlor » 08 Jan 2013, 18:13

I figure if I have a combat oriented party, I really only need a few buffs and healing. I'm hoping I can survive not having the luxury of teleporting in and out of combat.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 08 Jan 2013, 18:51

When I start a brand new game, I roll 1d4 for race, 1d2 for gender, 1d9 for class, for every character. Then I roll 1d3 for Elves/Humans/Neutrality, and 1d2 for Dark/Light. I don't seek easy way to play.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 08 Jan 2013, 21:59

forgottenlor wrote:I figure if I have a combat oriented party, I really only need a few buffs and healing. I'm hoping I can survive not having the luxury of teleporting in and out of combat.
Actually, surviving Eradication without a Cleric has always posed a greater challenge for me than surviving non-combat teleporting. :)
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 09 Jan 2013, 14:06

tolich wrote:I roll 1d2
It's called flipping :D

Return to “Might and Magic”