About the GOG versions

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Kyon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

About the GOG versions

Unread postby Kyon » 29 Dec 2012, 16:47

Hi guys I have all Might and Magic and Heroes games from GOG and also I have Heroes of Might and Magic Complete Collection disks . Which versions are the best available ? With which versions my money wasted ? I want to create a better collection . Thanks for the every helps . And I want to know something about the GOG versions ; they are altered with cracks or some other ways .

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 29 Dec 2012, 21:11

As I understand it, GOG versions of games are digitally rather than physically distributed; they just picked up distribution rights for software that's no longer on the market. At a guess, since, I've not purchased, the games will only work with a relevant platform installed (similar to Steam), and in that sense are not "cracked," but rather have a different form of DRM.

I don't think it's a waste of money to have a digital copy and a physical copy. You never know when a digital platform will go belly-up. :)
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

unknownone
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby unknownone » 30 Dec 2012, 01:08

You are wrong because GOG versions are always DRM free, no platform needed, no activation, just download, install and play.
I've played and enjoyed many RPGs:
MM6,MM7,MM8,MM9, Fallout 1&2, Planescape Torment, Torment: ToN, TES3, TES4

Flodarien
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Flodarien » 30 Dec 2012, 04:38

unknownone wrote:You are wrong because GOG versions are always DRM free, no platform needed, no activation, just download, install and play.
Well, this could have been phrased differently. You could just have aid it more politely. How about "I think you may be on the wrong with this. GOG versions of game have no DRM, which makes it easy to install." or something.

Kyon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kyon » 30 Dec 2012, 09:47

It seems they are not cracked , DRM-free versions only . Because I remember my collection edition disks are have same exes but they are in the home . GOG versions have any advantages than Heroes and Might and Magic Complete Collection ? Or GOG M&M games have any advantages than disk versions ?

unknownone
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby unknownone » 30 Dec 2012, 10:27

I'm sorry, you have a point, I've been too harsh in my reply.
Flodarien wrote:
unknownone wrote:You are wrong because GOG versions are always DRM free, no platform needed, no activation, just download, install and play.
Well, this could have been phrased differently. You could just have aid it more politely. How about "I think you may be on the wrong with this. GOG versions of game have no DRM, which makes it easy to install." or something.
I've played and enjoyed many RPGs:
MM6,MM7,MM8,MM9, Fallout 1&2, Planescape Torment, Torment: ToN, TES3, TES4

Kyon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kyon » 30 Dec 2012, 12:42

Friends why missing my questions or points ? I know already GOG DRM-free :/

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 30 Dec 2012, 18:01

The games GOG sells are the same games, there are really no substantial advantages or disadvantages. GOG versions come pre-patched, so it can save you some time (although MM games use older patches, so you will need to update the patches anyway).

There might be some differences in HoMM1 and HoMM2 in regards to music, but I don't have the GOG versions of that, so I can't comment on it.

darknessfood
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby darknessfood » 30 Dec 2012, 22:53

I bought HoMM2 on GOG yesterday, and it uses Dosbox to run it. Music is the opera style. It runs smoother on Windows 7, then the Complete collection box version from Ubi.

EDIT: Nevermind the answer above :P. I also happen to have all the MM games (except 9 and Crusaders), and as far as I know, they all run perfectly, without messing around with the settings. Just buy-download-install-play.
You can either agree with me, or be wrong...

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 31 Dec 2012, 16:30

While I have not bought MM titles I did buy MOO1/2 and they were fully patched and installed with dosbox with all settings so I did not have to mess with dosbox at all; it was already done for me. :-D GOG is a great alternative for the older games.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Kyon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kyon » 01 Jan 2013, 14:49

I am asking all of them because I working for a M&M preservation project . Best possible original versions (not altered or changed) are important for me .

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 01 Jan 2013, 20:31

Kyon wrote:I am asking all of them because I working for a M&M preservation project . Best possible original versions (not altered or changed) are important for me .
In that case, definitely do I have a nice link for you:
viewtopic.php?t=11323

Kyon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kyon » 01 Jan 2013, 21:32

I saw this topic before :D

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 02 Jan 2013, 08:50

The good part of GoG versions:
-Easy to install/play. No need to spend time and effort at dosbox (for the older parts) etc. Just double click and play
-DRM free as the above said
-Some nice digidal goodies (manuals, cards, artwork etc.)
-Great prices

The bad part:
-Nothing can be like a good boxed version at your library. I always prefer box versions than a "cold" digital copy.
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

Kyon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kyon » 02 Jan 2013, 12:54

Yes same for me but I am already working for a digital preservation project . This mean if I bought boxed copies then I go with same digital route . Maybe I will made my own installers etc. It's not too hard .

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 03 Jan 2013, 02:28

One thing to consider if you buy within the next 12 hours you get pretty much all of the MM universe released on PC except for H-VI for $25. Includes all Heroes 1-5 including the chronicles, MM 1-9 and Crusaders of Might and Magic.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Kyon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kyon » 03 Jan 2013, 02:38

I already bought it with Might and Magic Madness Bundle :)

Return to “Might and Magic”