Started MM3

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Bones_xa
Peasant
Peasant

Started MM3

Unread postby Bones_xa » 11 Dec 2012, 04:17

So I've started MM3 on the snes.
I'm sure its better as the pc version but I don't know where to get that.
I'd like to start world of xeen too later on but I don't how I'm going to get it...

At first it was hard to get into because I didn't know where to go or what the heck to do.
But now after playing slowly on and off for the past little while its starting to get more fun.
Its cool that its basically the same type of game as MM 6, 7, & 8 which I've played, but its basically just a different game engine which takes a little to get used to.

I've went with the starting party and will stick with them because all those characters are familiar to me from the other games. I understand that I won't be able to learn water walk with no druid or nature magic but I've already found an item with "of water walking".

So far the only issue I'm having at this point is that when I go to the items shop with weapons, armor, items, it won't let me buy stuff; it keeps saying something like "in no condition to perform actions" but my status for all my chars was good. ???
Maybe I won't be able to buy items for the whole game and will have to find my own?
I can sell items I find though.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 11 Dec 2012, 08:57

First, IIRC inventory has only very little space for items, so maybe you raun of space to buy new weapon or armor.

Second, I don't remember exactly how it was in MM1-5 but maybe character who wants to buy new items doesn't have enough gold? IIRC every character has its own gold and you must sometimes move it from one to other (IIRC this option in character menu).

Agalloch
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Agalloch » 11 Dec 2012, 14:39

@Avonu: In MM1/MM2 you definetly have per-character Gold. World of Xeen has Party Gold, the same probably goes - I'm 99% sure - for Terra, which is built on the same engine.

@OP: If you want MM3 for the PC, get to ebay. I have a few copies of it, including 3.5" and 5.25" floppies and there's still a few on there - even more if your are in the US or willing to ship it from their.

World of Xeen is even easier to get if you just want to play it. I have original Big Box copies - though the US "Big" box copies are much bigger which puts a dent in my collection - of Clouds and Darkside. However, those games can also be acquired legitimately by buying "Ultimate Might and Magic Archives", Might and Magic VI, Limited or Special editions or "Might and Magic Millennium Edition" - which doesn't include I-III.

Of course that's just for owning physical copies. If you just want to play them, Good Old Game (gog.com) sell the first 6 games as a pack, for $9.99 (US$). http://www.gog.com/gamecard/might_and_m ... ed_edition.

I'm pretty sure Avonu was right about your shop issue, sounds like your inventory might be full.

Bones_xa
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Bones_xa » 12 Dec 2012, 18:37

I still can not buy at the shops, even when I have space in inventory and way more gold than required for the item. Maybe do I have to have nothing equipped?
I'm thinking that this copy of the game I have might be bugged, I'm playing it from an snes emulator.
I also cannot seem to get detect magic spell to work, but I've only really tried it once.
Also when I was in the fountain head caverns and picked the barrel that is supposed to give personality, the message indicated personality but it actually gave me +5 to intellect. Thats ok for now, but I hope it does not keep happening again with any future barrels...

Anyway I'll try to stick with this for now because I really don't want to start over.
If I get to a point where I cannot proceed then I will quit MM3 for a while and maybe just start word of xeen, (MM 4 & 5).
As far as world of xeen goes, I will probably just buy it off ebay, but not now, later on.

Another question for MM3 is will the areas ever reset with monsters after some time like in later games?

Bones_xa
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Bones_xa » 13 Dec 2012, 21:53

Ok I am at the point right now where I think I should quit this crappy snes version and go with the pc version. From what I see it looks to be so much better and probably a much more enjoyable experience.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 21 Dec 2012, 20:43

Yes, definitely. None of the console ports of the first/second generation MM games are good compared to the DOS versions, as they always have gameplay issues, and often technical issues as well.
And yes, getting them on GOG.com is usually the most sensible idea. Not sure why you'd want a physical version.

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 22 Dec 2012, 19:14

GreatEmerald wrote:Yes, definitely. None of the console ports of the first/second generation MM games are good compared to the DOS versions, as they always have gameplay issues, and often technical issues as well.
And yes, getting them on GOG.com is usually the most sensible idea. Not sure why you'd want a physical version.
because then you have something to actually hold in your hand and still be able to keep while your computer harddrive and the GOG servers will eventually die and you will loose that computer file you bought?
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 23 Dec 2012, 05:12

The DOS version is much better than the console version. You will notice the difference immediately once you use a mouse. The ports of all the DOS MM games to the consoles were not done very well, simply because there weren't enough buttons on the controllers.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 23 Dec 2012, 22:34

Talin_Trollbane wrote:because then you have something to actually hold in your hand and still be able to keep while your computer harddrive and the GOG servers will eventually die and you will loose that computer file you bought?
Uh, you do realise that since the GOG version has no DRM, there is literally nothing in the world stopping you from writing the installer on a CD, right? If you really like, you could even add it into a CD case and print out the cover, then use LightScribe to add branding on the CD itself, and you would have your very own original CD.

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 24 Dec 2012, 03:24

GreatEmerald wrote:
Talin_Trollbane wrote:because then you have something to actually hold in your hand and still be able to keep while your computer harddrive and the GOG servers will eventually die and you will loose that computer file you bought?
Uh, you do realise that since the GOG version has no DRM, there is literally nothing in the world stopping you from writing the installer on a CD, right? If you really like, you could even add it into a CD case and print out the cover, then use LightScribe to add branding on the CD itself, and you would have your very own original CD.
sure, or, i could be smarter and just download the gamefiles from the internet for free and save my money from the start, since all GOG is reselling are (has been confirmed) files taken from various abandonware sites?

also that wouldnt be the same as owning the real box and game from NWC AND a great piece of RPG history, but i guess each to his own or something like that.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

Return to “Might and Magic”