Why don't townspeople in Blackshire turn into werewolfs?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Bones_xa
Peasant
Peasant

Why don't townspeople in Blackshire turn into werewolfs?

Unread postby Bones_xa » 29 Oct 2012, 21:36

Hi I've been reading the posts here up to about page 10 or so and I have not seen any mention of this. I don't know if its ever been asked before but, in MM6, why don't the townspeople in Blackshire ever turn into Werewolfs when its a full moon?
Some one or some ones in the town or the guy who gives you the quest, (I don't remember who exactly) says something like that this happens to the villagers; it is a curse. But I've never seen it happen. The only Werewolfs I've seen in town are the few ones over behind the temple and when you first arrive they come over to attack you. After they are dead I've never seen any more Werewolves in the town even when the quest hasn't been completed.

I guessing that this does not actually happen, and I was assuming too much thinking that the actual villagers would turn into werewolves on a full moon night?

Also another unrelated thing I'd like to mention about MM6 is that to me it seems a little easier to find the trainers for expert/master skills as opposed to the ones in MM7 and even MM8. Anyone else agree?
In MM7, which is probably the worst for this, MM8 can be bad too sometimes, but its often such a pain to find certain trainers. The labeled maps that exist online help out, but without them it would be really bad.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 30 Oct 2012, 07:46

I guessing that this does not actually happen, and I was assuming too much thinking that the actual villagers would turn into werewolves on a full moon night?
Yea it actually doesn't happen. Well can assume, that those roaming streets are somehow immune to curse... Anyway, back then games coundt be that complicated considering all. After all we don't expect mage peasant hireling to put up fight also, even though lore wise he should be way stronger than peasant.
Also another unrelated thing I'd like to mention about MM6 is that to me it seems a little easier to find the trainers for expert/master skills as opposed to the ones in MM7 and even MM8. Anyone else agree?
Well mostly because IIRC, mm6 had only 2 skill graduations, and expert trainers were more than one Also trainers were rarely in odd places except some in mm6.
On other hand since there is automapping feature that allows to see house name in mm7/8 i dont find it that bad. Problem in mm7 is that many trainers are in odd places and, some towns are even made as dungeons(celeste/pit/stone city). Also in mm8 at least on trainer is marked wrong in journal , which may cause confusion.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 30 Oct 2012, 16:17

^^ Heh. I remember this quite vividly actually. First time I got to Blackshire, I talked to the same guy the OP referenced and totally expected the townspeople to turn into werewolves. It was a bit disapointing..
I also think those swordsman in the dungeon are supposed to be werewolves in human form, because otherwise what the hell are they doing there, but how it is that some are turned and others aren't I have no idea. Maybe it's just that our werewolves are different.

^ Yeah, MM6 is easy on trainer locations. All the expert trainers were in New Sorpigal, Ironfist and Mist. There were extra expert trainers everywhere else, but you can learn any skill to expert level in those three areas (even "ancient weapons").

For the rest, there's only the master trainers to worry about and most of them are in places that make sense: if you need a skill trained to master, just think of which class the skill fits best and go to the town where that class gets his/her promotion. That's usually where the master trainer will be at.

For instance, here's the master magic trainers:

Mist: Fire, Water, Air (Sorcerer)
Ironfist: Spirit (Paladin)
Silver Cove: Earth, Mind, Body (Druid)

None of them are in the Frozen Highlands (Cleric) because that's where the Archer learns his masteries (disarm trap for instance).

Then there's a few weird ones - Iirc you learned master Repair in the little town where the Cleric gets his promotion quest. That makes no sense to me because it's a Knight skill.. And also, master Axe is in a weird spot but that's because you need to learn the skill from a Dwarf.

Of course, the most out of place is the Master bow trainer - you'd expect him to live in White Cove following my logic above, but he's up on the Kriegspire castle. What the hell is he doing there? Well, I think they put him there to ensure you wouldn't learn master bow skill too early in the game..
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Bones_xa
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Bones_xa » 31 Oct 2012, 02:15

Macros the Black wrote: For instance, here's the master magic trainers:

Mist: Fire, Water, Air (Sorcerer)
Ironfist: Spirit (Paladin)
Silver Cove: Earth, Mind, Body (Druid)
Yeah that does make sense. I never really realized that, but even still I've always found it easier to find the trainers in MM6.
For whatever reason, I somehow seem to just remember where they are at better in MM6 than in 7 & 8.
MM7 I especially remember being very frustrating sometimes. Even when I know what town a trainer is in I find myself circling around wondering where the hell they are. Finally I minimize the program, open up a web browser and find some online map that marks exactly where it is.
In MM6 this does happen in some areas like when looking for trainers or quest people but its not as bad.

tress wrote: Anyway, back then games coundt be that complicated considering all.
Considering all the other things that have been done, I don't think it would be very difficult for the programmers to implement this. Basically just something like: if ('midnight' and 'full moon' and 'curse not completed') then have a routine that morphs villagers into werewolves. The only thing is that should all of them be converted or just the ones in sight or proximity? Even if all of them are converted they can be converted back at dawn and have the process repeat again at every full moon or unless they are killed.

DeTHiCa
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby DeTHiCa » 31 Oct 2012, 15:54

I used to write the locations of trainers on little cards.. the memories. :D

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 01 Nov 2012, 08:49

Considering all the other things that have been done, I don't think it would be very difficult for the programmers to implement this. Basically just something like: if ('midnight' and 'full moon' and 'curse not completed') then have a routine that morphs villagers into werewolves. The only thing is that should all of them be converted or just the ones in sight or proximity? Even if all of them are converted they can be converted back at dawn and have the process repeat again at every full moon or unless they are killed.
Perhaps yes, then again it may not be that easy for various reasons. First of all, game implications, that you would be forced to kill of all peasants, and there would be none left. Besides fact that town has only 10-20 of them is another "suspension of disbelief" so it could be shown in game.
Second, games engine have way more limitations than you could think at first. For example if you notice, then no location have more than 3 or 4 different kinds of monsters. Even more you can notice that locations with more monsters types like ironfist, have only one gender of peasants.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 02 Nov 2012, 03:07

Remember that in MM7 at least most experts can also be found in the three starting areas. The difference is in 7 there is that ONE skill that is a major pain to get to but that makes a lot of the rest of the game easier(master water). Not to mention the restrictions on promotion.

8 is definitely harder because there is only 1 expert trainer in the world per skill. Definitely annoying to get regeneration, armsmaster, and learning.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 02 Nov 2012, 05:34

Arret wrote:The difference is in 7 there is that ONE skill that is a major pain to get to but that makes a lot of the rest of the game easier(master water).
It's certainly made to raise the value of Gate Masters.
Arret wrote:8 is definitely harder because there is only 1 expert trainer in the world per skill. Definitely annoying to get regeneration, armsmaster, and learning.
And Water Master is the same in remote Ironsand Desert. And there's not many Gate Masters around. :)

Bones_xa
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Bones_xa » 12 Nov 2012, 23:42

tolich wrote:And Water Master is the same in remote Ironsand Desert. And there's not many Gate Masters around. :)
Ironsand desert is way easier to get to as opposed to in MM7 Nighon.
Take the coach from Shadowspire on Saturday and you get there in 2 days.
In MM7 I don't think you can tp to a place until you visit it first, even if you hire a gatemaster (but not 100% sure on that). So you have to go through the dwarf tunnels and through Thunderfist mountain with minotaurs and eyes. Even with invisibility you can easily bump into them because the corriders are tight.
Its not that bad actually but still its harder than in MM8.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 14 Nov 2012, 01:42

There are two issues with getting master water in 7 which do not become problems in 8:

1) Requiring promotion of either druid (evermorn island) or sorceror (requires a lot of travel).

2) Getting out of the tunnels. Getting unlucky and having a spawn of all 3 types of minotaur at the front of Thunderfist Mountain is not fun even with an invisibility spell.

In MM8 you just walk over ignoring the wasps, and is simple to get to from Alvar, which is reached easily. That being said it is out of the way if you head here without the intent of working on the main line quest.

You cannot gate (master) anywhere until you have activated the appropriate fountain(s) in MM7 and 8.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 14 Nov 2012, 08:22

Gate master can transfer you to any area (with a fountain) where you've already been. It's his purpose.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 25 Nov 2012, 05:28

I disagree. In MM6 I find myself looking through the-spoiler FAQ for Experts pretty frequently, almost as much as in MM7. In MM8 it's super-easy, especially with https://sites.google.com/site/sergroj/m ... ch-for-MM8
tress wrote:Also in mm8 at least on trainer is marked wrong in journal , which may cause confusion.
Do you remember which one?
Bones_xa wrote: Considering all the other things that have been done, I don't think it would be very difficult for the programmers to implement this. Basically just something like: if ('midnight' and 'full moon' and 'curse not completed') then have a routine that morphs villagers into werewolves.
Actual transformation isn't possible both script-wise and gameplay-wise, because you may need them as hirelings, not corpses. In MM7 and MM8 it would be possible to hide peasants and place wolves in their places, but then have the peasants back in normal moon even if you kill the wolves. In MM6 that's not possible, but it's possible to spawn wolves at full moon keeping the peasants there too.
tress wrote:Even more you can notice that locations with more monsters types like ironfist, have only one gender of peasants.
Baa, Lizardmen and Bloodsuckers. Who's 4th? The limits are indeed very tight on everything. E.g. the Cousinarts' place in Silver Cove has some chests that turn out to be the same one and this can't easily be fixed because of chests count limit, no more than 20 per location.
tolich wrote:And Water Master is the same in remote Ironsand Desert.
Not remote at all. One map crossing from Shadowspire, which is a frequently visited location containing a free hireling capable of learning Master Water right away. Can it get any easier than that?
Last edited by Anonymous on 25 Nov 2012, 05:59, edited 1 time in total.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 25 Nov 2012, 05:49

GrayFace wrote:Do you remember which one?
At least this one.
He's stated to be in the Garrote Gorge, but actually he's on the Regna Isle.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 26 Nov 2012, 14:44

GrayFace wrote:
tress wrote:Even more you can notice that locations with more monsters types like ironfist, have only one gender of peasants.
Baa, Lizardmen and Bloodsuckers. Who's 4th? The limits are indeed very tight on everything. E.g. the Cousinarts' place in Silver Cove has some chests that turn out to be the same one and this can't easily be fixed because of chests count limit, no more than 20 per location.
The 4th are the female peasant type. In Blackshire they are only male peasants because the already have werewolves, thunder lizards, and tornadoes. In the zones with both gender types there are only 2 monster types in the zone (New Soprigal, Free Haven, Silver Cove, etc.).

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 26 Nov 2012, 21:18

Arret wrote:
GrayFace wrote:
The 4th are the female peasant type. In Blackshire they are only male peasants because the already have werewolves, thunder lizards, and tornadoes. In the zones with both gender types there are only 2 monster types in the zone (New Soprigal, Free Haven, Silver Cove, etc.).
i wouldnt have minded if they switched out the whirlwinds with female NPCs.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 27 Nov 2012, 06:53

There's no explicit limit prohibiting the 5th monster kind. Maybe they wanted to reduce loading speed or maybe there is an 'invisible' limit that BDJ has hit in Rev4 for example with random bugs as a result.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Return to “Might and Magic”