Dungeon of Secrets

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
domino
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Dungeon of Secrets

Unread postby domino » 13 Jul 2012, 01:27

Subject: Dungeon of Secrets
Hi all, once again I am asking for help. I am just about worn out trying to complete the Dungeon of Secrets quest to get the Ranger promotion. I must have tried to do it 30 times, and I have even taken the game back to before the quest in case I did something wrong before. I am not clever enough to do it properly so I am trying to do the cheat, but do you think I can get it to work. There are so many ways it could be done. Where exactly should the beacon go? I have tried it just inside the last door before you leave the dungeon. I have also tried it just inside the last door you go through into the final room. Are you supposed to press all the levers or not touch them? What puzzles me is that this is the 2nd time I've played the game, I managed it b4 (with difficulty). I just can't do it and it's driving me mad. Heellllllppp.... I hope that someone out there can help me, the instructions would have to be basic though so that I can understand them. Thank you anyone out there who could help. The Beavers were a great help last time.

the beavers1
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby the beavers1 » 13 Jul 2012, 02:09

Umm.... may I please ask which game you are playing?
"Rot in Hell You Penny Pinching Miser!"

zalunaya
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby zalunaya » 13 Jul 2012, 02:46

Quote from:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/246

You can make it through, and not have a clue why you failed. Here's the secret. The key is to not trip ANY traps, not just the ones during the "official, timed tests." If you open a door and the axe falls, you lost. So, for the doors, stop well short, open then from a distance, then walk through.

* Do a quicksave before each section. If you blow it, just "F9" and repeat that section.

* For the fireball room, switch your default setting back to "WALK!" On "RUN" you have to be incredible adept to make it (too easy to overshoot.) On walk, it's actually easy.

* For the room with the stairs, switch back to "run", only crouch until you pass the traps, then run like heck to and up the stairs.

* In the final room, zigzag through. You start on the right, head diagonally L, then diagonally R, then to the door. It works.

* When done, the power of Everstrike is yours to command!

//This is a reply to the above. It mentions another way to do the quest, if you don't mind "working around" the way it's meant to be done:

Normally I don't post hacks that exploit an oversight in the game, but this one is so clever, and "outside-the-box" that I will. And, afterall, aren't rangers-to-be supposed to be judged on their perception and ability to see the way around traps!!
Cecil found that Lloyd's beacon is the answer! Don't talk to the attendant. Walk to the end and don't worry about tripping alarms. In the final room (just BEFORE you exit to the attendant, set a beacon. Now talk to the NPC, warp to the beacon, walk through the final door "without tripping any traps" and claim your prize. Diabodically clever!

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 13 Jul 2012, 02:49

I believe he is talking about the Ranger promotion in MM9. That place just isn't fun. It is one of the most frustrating quests in the series.

You should have level 10 expert perception (or level 4 expert with the rogue hireling and an item of 3 perception skill) and be familiar with quicksave or it can EASILY take hours. Please make sure you have sound on as ANY trap will cause an autofail.

Any time a trap is triggered, you load your quicksave. There is even a room where you have to use the crouch key to avoid the traps.

As long as you do this, the only room that should give more than a few problems is the fireball room.

Edit: Looks like someone got a full post in first.

the beavers1
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby the beavers1 » 13 Jul 2012, 02:58

Arret wrote:I believe he is talking about the Ranger promotion in MM9.
AHH! thats why I was confused.... ive played it once and after getting pretty much all the black chests I felt that the game was imbalanced and stopped playing.... seemed like a promising game if only a few things were changed.
"Rot in Hell You Penny Pinching Miser!"

domino
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Dungeon of Secrets Thank you

Unread postby domino » 13 Jul 2012, 12:14

Thank you all so much for your help. You are all great as usual. I'm off to try your suggestions out. Let you know what happens, my perception is definitely less than 10 though. Thanks xx

Still couldn't get through even with perception 10. I think it must be a glich. I tried the cheat as well, still didn't work. Sad even tho' I completed the game once I wanted to do it again. It has taken me months with all the crashes/bugs/lost data to get this far and there are no new M & M games to play. I have 6, 7 and 8 and I have played them all so many times. Can anyone recommend a similar format game? All the best, thank you all so much for your sympathetic responses. You are all great x.

Return to “Might and Magic”