TCC freezes in Orpheus's Gateway???

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Ossie
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

TCC freezes in Orpheus's Gateway???

Unread postby Ossie » 26 Jun 2012, 06:04

Hi guys, playing TCC mod in Orpheus's Gateway (the old Snergle's mine map). I get to the Gateway Door (the old door with the trap) and the character carrying the Horn of Vainen clicks on the door.......and the game freezes. You see a slight flash of what is probably the Horn on the mouse pointer just before everything freezes. A popup on the desktop says "Assertion failed at 4794 in D:\MM6Src\code\PARTY.CPP", clicking on OK in this popup closes the game. Has been replicated multiple times. Clicking on the with a character not carrying the Horn gives a message saying only the Horn of Vainen can open this door - but something looks to be going wrong with the code for this bit?????

Ossie
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Please any modders able to help here?

Unread postby Ossie » 26 Jun 2012, 19:01

assuming something went wrong with ther mod installation - is there any way to save the saved games to apply to a reinstalled mod?

alternatively is there a way to edit the game so the door is opened?

i can't see me bothering to start again at this late stage, esp without knowing if it will even fix the issue

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 26 Jun 2012, 19:57

Tech expert I am not, but reinstalling the mod will not cause you to lose your save files. Assuming the save file is not corrupted then reinstalling the mod may fix your problem. Also if you have a save file earlier in the game you could try it after reinstalling and that make work. So many have completed the mod without this issue; hopefully one of these suggestions will work. ;|
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Ossie
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Ossie » 26 Jun 2012, 20:32

Grrr - tried to reinstall, now the game won't patch. Uninstalled & reinstalled the basic game, when I try to install the patch to 1.2 I get an error box "Old File not found. However, a file of the same name was found. No update done since file contents do not match."

I'm running Windows 7 & running the patch in Admin mode. Same happens when I try to patch to 1.1 then 1.2 with the separate patches.

Windows 7 has installed the game in a directory C:\Program Files (x86)\3DO\Might and Magic© VI

Perhaps the © copyright character in the path is making this a problem but it seems to find the path alright. So if I can't patch to 1.2, I can't install the mod. Any help?

Ossie
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Ossie » 29 Jun 2012, 10:19

I've used both Control Panel & the game programme to uninstall MM6, and deleted any surviving folder. I've reinstalled the original MM6 & still getting the same error.

I guess it has to do with something being left over from the TCC mod installation, because this didn't happen when I first installed TCC, but it's not in the MM6 folder. Any ideas what else may be left over?

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 29 Jun 2012, 15:05

Ossie wrote:I've used both Control Panel & the game programme to uninstall MM6, and deleted any surviving folder. I've reinstalled the original MM6 & still getting the same error.

I guess it has to do with something being left over from the TCC mod installation, because this didn't happen when I first installed TCC, but it's not in the MM6 folder. Any ideas what else may be left over?
Try this it might help; if you have a non-win7 computer install and patch MM6 on it and then move the entire directory to you win7 computer, and create a shortcut to the exe file.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Ossie
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Ossie » 29 Jun 2012, 21:14

Yeah no non-Win7 computer unfortunately

Return to “Might and Magic”