How Old is Nicolai Ironfist?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

How Old is Nicolai Ironfist?

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 15 Jun 2012, 19:23

I have heard that he is either 8 or 10 years old in MM6, which takes place in 1165 A.S. 13 years later, in 1178, is the Reckoning. So Nicolai is somewhere between 21 and 23 years old.

What do you guys think?

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 15 Jun 2012, 19:46

He is 10 years old in MM6 and IIRC about 24 in MM9.

Reckoning is c.a. 1175 not 1178 (there are some inconsequences between Reckoning date in MM9 and HIV).

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 15 Jun 2012, 20:16

Avonu wrote:He is 10 years old in MM6 and IIRC about 24 in MM9.

Reckoning is c.a. 1175 not 1178 (there are some inconsequences between Reckoning date in MM9 and HIV).
'

Thanks Avonu! Where do you get the dates from the Reckoning? I have 1178 written down on my timeline for MM9/HOMM4 events:

521 A.C. / 1178 A.S. - The Reckoning, The Writ of Fate

523 A.C. / 1180 A.S. - Glory of Days Past

524 A.C. / 1181 A.S. - Elwin and Shaera, Pirate's Daughter

525 A.C. / 1182 A.S. - The True Blade

527 A.C. / 1184 A.S. - The Price of Peace

528 A.C. / 1185 A.S. - Half-Dead

Probably going to say Nicolai was 8 in MM6. Is there proof that he was 10 years old?

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 15 Jun 2012, 20:23

Yes, there is somewhere in MM6, however I can't find it right now.

About your HIV wrong dates :P, just read this topic.

There are a lot more interesting topics about history of Enroth, just use search button and look for older pages.

Copper God
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Copper God » 16 Jun 2012, 04:21

Can u simply tell us what is wrong about H IV dates? There is no info about time when they occured.

As for me - I think that all H IV campaigns take place in 1180-1183.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 16 Jun 2012, 07:45

Sorry, but if you can't read first posts from link which I gave, then I would not help you.
I won't give you all on the silver plate.

Copper God
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Copper God » 16 Jun 2012, 14:24

I read that topic, but there is a lot of assumptions in it.

Anyway, I agreed with you that Glory of Days Past was after The Price of Peace and HIV campaigns were after MM IX. But when these campaings might occur? In 80-82 or later?

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 16 Jun 2012, 19:47

Aha! I'm not sure how you get 1175 A.S. for the Reckoning, but I'm willing to use it along with the other dates, because I can't find the source for 1178 A.S. as the Reckoning either.

I collected the dates of the H4 campaigns from the campaign texts and rough estimations, and to my knowledge they are as close as possible to the actual dates as we'll be able to get (since there were no dates used in Heroes IV, except time periods relative to the Reckoning.)

So if Nicolai is 10 years old in 1165, he will be roughly, lets say 21 years old in MM9.

How does this sound?

Timeline

521 A.C. / 1175 A.S. - The Reckoning, The Writ of Fate

523 A.C. / 1177 A.S. - Glory of Days Past

524 A.C. / 1178 A.S. - Elwin and Shaera, Pirate's Daughter

525 A.C. / 1179 A.S. - The True Blade

527 A.C. / 1181 A.S. - The Price of Peace

528 A.C. / 1182 A.S. - Half-Dead

Copper God
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Copper God » 18 Jun 2012, 01:27

If my memory serves me 1177-1178 mentiond as Reckoning years in interview with Tim Lang. 1175 is a speculation from LotA. So i think that is ogical to leave the old dates. Possibly I could rearranged PoP date earlier than others.

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 18 Jun 2012, 02:34

Copper God wrote:If my memory serves me 1177-1178 mentiond as Reckoning years in interview with Tim Lang. 1175 is a speculation from LotA. So i think that is ogical to leave the old dates. Possibly I could rearranged PoP date earlier than others.
Do you guys know the correct date...?

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 18 Jun 2012, 06:12

Reckoning was indeed in the late 1177 - early 1178 A.S. Tim said with certainty that Nicolai is about 23 in MM9, and by the time the heroes meet him, it's several weeks/months since he got to Axeoth from Castle Ironfist during the Reckoning.

Thus, the Reckoning is c.a. 521 by the A.C. calendar and c.a. 1178 by the A.S. one.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 18 Jun 2012, 17:17

XEL II wrote:Reckoning was indeed in the late 1177 - early 1178 A.S. Tim said with certainty that Nicolai is about 23 in MM9, and by the time the heroes meet him, it's several weeks/months since he got to Axeoth from Castle Ironfist during the Reckoning.

Thus, the Reckoning is c.a. 521 by the A.C. calendar and c.a. 1178 by the A.S. one.
Thank you Xel ! Come back to Skype soon plz !

So here's the true timeline of H4:

Timeline

521 A.C. / 1178 A.S. - The Reckoning, The Writ of Fate

523 A.C. / 1180 A.S. - Glory of Days Past

524 A.C. / 1181 A.S. - Elwin and Shaera, Pirate's Daughter

525 A.C. / 1182 A.S. - The True Blade

527 A.C. / 1184 A.S. - The Price of Peace

528 A.C. / 1185 A.S. - Half-Dead

Nicolai is 8-10 in 1165 A.S. so he'd be 21-23 in MM9. That is the verdict!

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 18 Jun 2012, 17:21

Yeah, he's 10 in MM6 (1165) and 23 in MM9.

Dates for GotDP, Pirate's Daughter, Elwin and Shaera, PoP and Half-Dead are the ones that are going to be used in MMX, I suppose?
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 18 Jun 2012, 17:50

XEL II wrote:Yeah, he's 10 in MM6 (1165) and 23 in MM9.

Dates for GotDP, Pirate's Daughter, Elwin and Shaera, PoP and Half-Dead are the ones that are going to be used in MMX, I suppose?
Yes! I got these (roughly) from the H4 campaigns. When you have time would you be interested in working on Palaedra with me?

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 18 Jun 2012, 20:14

MMXAlamar wrote:When you have time would you be interested in working on Palaedra with me?
Why, certainly!

Copper God
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Copper God » 18 Jun 2012, 21:18

That's interesting information: viewtopic.php?p=86004
Kareeah Indaga wrote:I checked Tawni’s info and yeah, there looks to be room for a four year stretch between the Reckoning and her campaign:

Tawni age 7: Works at the Rusti Mug (duel between pirates)
Tawni age 10: Meets Black Balfour for the first time
Tawni age 12: Tawni quits from the Rusti mug, meets brother
Tawni age 14: Tawni’s brother Norry killed
Tawni age 17: Reckoning
Tawni age 18-19: For two years after Reckoning, Tawni learns to be a pirate before joining Black Balfour’s crew
Anvou wrote:I think that his (Waerjack's) campaign is last from H4 campaigns (Galdouth mentions about Emilia's problem with barbarians on borders and I think that barbarians under Wearjack command wouldn't attack Great Arcans borders).
TTB wrote:Perhaps if I were a proper historian I would begin my story at the beginning. I would write of the attack on Lysander's family that separated him from his siblings, killed his parents and forever fueled his hatred for the evil necromancers who performed the deed (I think it happened during RoE). I would tell of his quick rise in the Erathian ranks, and how he became one of Queen Catherine's favorite knights (about 1168-1171). Perhaps I would even tell you how he led thousands of refugees through the portals to this new world before the Reckoning claimed the old one.
TTB wrote:[/b]I will tell you of the events that took place four years after the Reckoning.[/b]
TTB wrote:All these years, Lysander refused to call himself King of Palaedra because he insisted that since no royal blood flowed through his veins, he didn't deserve to be called King.
PoP wrote:After the Reckoning, life was hard for me in this new land. I was still just a child, and I had no family to watch over me. If not for the kindness of an elderly enchantress, I don't think I would have survived. Shifina protected me, became like a second mother. Then age claimed her, and once again I was alone.
Accordingly, I propose the following variant:

1178 - Reckoning
1180 - E&S
1181 - PD
1182 - TTB
1183 - PoP
1184 - HD
1185 - GoDP

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 18 Jun 2012, 23:10

Yeah your timeline could very well be more accurate. I will ask Terry Ray next time I see him (which might not be for awhile since he's hard to get in contact with.)

Alamar

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 19 Jun 2012, 17:26

Sorry for lack of answers but I am busy right now. I will try write more datails in weekend but for now:

1. According to Tim Lang (MMIX story writer), Nicolai has about 23 years in game, which takes not kore then few months after Reckoning. So it would be indeed year 1178 AS. BUT... Tim Lang wan't sure that age and he is known from making mistakes in past. Just read Leeter from Roland Ironfist which is placed near Nicolai in MMIX and you can see, how many plotholes are there.

2. According to Lysander campaign in HIV, Reckoning was 6 years before campaign and this campaign takes place 4 years after Reckoning. Long story short Reckoning was in year 1173 AS.

3. As both dates seems to be correct (and both are wrong :P), year 1175 AS is the most accurate date. You have to remember that between AB and HIV we Heroes Chronicles campaigns and the fact, that Roland and Catherine Ironfist never reached Enroth (but they sailed from Antagarich after AB - as you can see in MM8) and I don't think they needed years (MM8 - IIRC ca. 1173 AS) for voyage that normally takes 6 weeks.

4. SoD, Heroes Chronicles, HIV, MMIX, CoMM, WoMM, LoMM - all these games don't stick too uch to MM lore - it was because Greg Fulton departure as he was the person responsible for lore and future plans for new games. After he left, no one knows what was planned for HIV and MMIX and also there was no one who can correct game mistakes about lore. JvC was busy on t=other project and he joined HIV at late stage of game production process (and I don't thin even he knows, what was planned for new games or what has happened in previous titles).

Copper God
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Copper God » 20 Jun 2012, 03:28

Avonu, thank you for your detailed answer!

1. It is interesting information. I agreed with you, that this letter may appeared to Demon Wars, which was in 1171-1172. But this doesn't necessarily mean that the Reckoning occurred shortly thereafter. I very much doubt that Clash of the Dragons, expedition to Vori and the war with Kilgor occurred in 1-2 years.

Milton wrote:I will tell you of the events that took place four years after the Reckoning.
Could you tell me where there is information about six years? I have long searched this mention
in campaign, but found nothing.

3. As far as I know, we don't know about fate of Catherine and Roland after MM VIII. They could both reach to Enroth before cataclysm, and be at sea during it.

4. Agreed. It is unfortunate that Forge was canceled. Also, we did not learned the origin of the angels.
Last edited by Copper God on 20 Jun 2012, 03:31, edited 1 time in total.

Copper God
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Copper God » 20 Jun 2012, 03:31

Folks, what do you think about Paradise? Is it related to Shangri-La and Olympus? And what about Underworld and Tomb of Thousand Terrors?

Return to “Might and Magic”