Might and Magic for Mac?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Morgana Magnus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Might and Magic for Mac?

Unread postby Morgana Magnus » 06 Jun 2012, 11:45

Does it exist Might and Magic games for Mac? Just wonder, if they do exist I would love to know where I can get my hands on them!

solitaire345
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby solitaire345 » 06 Jun 2012, 12:05

No native builds for these games exist. However first five games and Swords of Xeen can be played with dos box (that emulates DOS environment). Newer games can probably be launched with wine, though you will have to compile wine yourself. This will work only if you have a new (x86) mac. Older versions will likely not work.

Agalloch
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Agalloch » 07 Jun 2012, 08:26

Actually Native Builds of the first 5 games for the Mac do exist. I'm not certain, but I think 4 and 5 were only released for the Mac as "World of Xeen" and not in separate releases. I own Macintosh versions of the first and second game, and they are quite good. They are the only versions - that I know of - to have a point and click interface and to use the Native Operating Systems (Macintosh in this case) interface, which gives it a very different/white feel.

solitaire345
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby solitaire345 » 07 Jun 2012, 13:14

Oops. Sorry for misinformation.. But do these work on new macs, or only the older ones? And what is that Native Operating Systems interface?

Agalloch
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Agalloch » 07 Jun 2012, 14:06

It only works on older (Non-Intel, probably non-OSX) Macs - which you can find rather cheap online - so you will probably still need an Emulator. By Native Interface, I mean that it uses Macintosh Windows to display information and dialogs, and uses Macintosh Command buttons to accept input.

There are some screenshots at this Long Play...

http://lparchive.org/Might-and-Magic/Update%201/

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 16 Jun 2012, 11:35

there is a Might and Magic I-II compilation for Mac out there, but very hard to get your hands on.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

Return to “Might and Magic”