Wish they had put more effort into the NPC's in VII

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
vmxa
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Wish they had put more effort into the NPC's in VII

Unread postby vmxa » 13 May 2012, 20:54

I started a game and just got annoyed with the NPC's in Harmdale. So many have the same voice and not many phrases either. I was thinking it would have been so useful had they coded the NPC for type.

IOW some feature made it easy to tell a tracker from a scholar. I would be happy if all classes were using the same feature. By that I mean say trackers, sailors and pathfinders and the like could all be marked the same way.

Then if I wanted an NPC tosave travel time I would not have to check every NPC I see.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 13 May 2012, 21:47

NPCs don't have voices. It's your party members that are speaking.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 14 May 2012, 05:02

GreatEmerald wrote:NPCs don't have voices. It's your party members that are speaking.
This. Also as long as you didn't stack your party with humans, the voices will be much different from MM6.

Dwarves and Goblins are very different from the character voices in MM6. All of the elvish voices feel more high pitched as well. The sarcastic male elf with the black hair especially.

vmxa
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby vmxa » 14 May 2012, 13:37

GreatEmerald wrote:NPCs don't have voices. It's your party members that are speaking.
Huh! You walk up to a wandering NPC and they say things like Goodday, Hello and so on. Often you get a female NPC and they speak in a deep male voice.

It has nothing to do with the party. Some do not speak, you just get a text that reads something about are you the new lords and what can Ido for you?

It just show how lazy and cheap they were, trying to get ti out fast. They just flat dropped NPC interactions (joining) in VIII to save them even more work.

Have you played VII? They have almost no variation in appearances either.

vmxa
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby vmxa » 14 May 2012, 13:41

Arret wrote:
This. Also as long as you didn't stack your party with humans, the voices will be much different from MM6.

Dwarves and Goblins are very different from the character voices in MM6. All of the elvish voices feel more high pitched as well. The sarcastic male elf with the black hair especially.
I know that different party character have different voices. You find that out at creation time. However I am not talking about party members, I am talking about NPC's. Party characters are PC's. The N stands for Non playing. Your party members are actually playing.

Daerandin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Daerandin » 14 May 2012, 13:46

There are no voices for npc's in Might and Magic VII. When you talk to an npc wandering around, the active player character often speaks a greeting aloud. You can notice the difference if you select one of your female characters before talking to an npc.

You should then hear the voice of your female character speaking whenever you start talking to an npc.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 14 May 2012, 14:41

vmxa wrote:Huh! You walk up to a wandering NPC and they say things like Goodday, Hello and so on. Often you get a female NPC and they speak in a deep male voice.

It has nothing to do with the party. Some do not speak, you just get a text that reads something about are you the new lords and what can Ido for you?

It just show how lazy and cheap they were, trying to get ti out fast. They just flat dropped NPC interactions (joining) in VIII to save them even more work.

Have you played VII? They have almost no variation in appearances either.
Which part of "It's your party members that are speaking" did you not understand? :P As for when your party members don't say anything, it's likely they are either special or that your party members don't always speak. I don't recall which one is the case right now.

There is plenty of variation in appearance, too. They have different portraits, and if you play the game with properly set up graphical acceleration, they have different colour clothes. That's more than enough for a game that old.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 14 May 2012, 17:12

There are no voices for npc's in Might and Magic VII.
Which is quite odd considering that shopkeepers unlike commoners, have manners and speak instead.
But ye, it is party who greets, not npc, so depending which PC is selected, you will get appropriate greeting message.

Still cant deny, despite huge improvements over mm6 for more realistic(well less old school style with random monsters filled) world, text amount(and sheer amount other content) have dropped drastically. (even worse for mm8)

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 15 May 2012, 09:26

And we speak for 1999! What did we expect 13 years before, a RPG with full voice acting at all NPCs? Anyway, back there gameplay mattered , not tecnichal stuff :P
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 15 May 2012, 09:32

tress wrote: Still cant deny, despite huge improvements over mm6 for more realistic(well less old school style with random monsters filled) world, text amount(and sheer amount other content) have dropped drastically. (even worse for mm8)
True indeed. Fortunately, though, the games were still great in terms of gameplay, story and general feel ;)
Lord13 wrote:Anyway, back there gameplay mattered , not tecnichal stuff :P
Golden words!
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 15 May 2012, 19:04

XEL II wrote:Golden words!
Etched in gold, you mean? :)
Lord13 wrote:And we speak for 1999! What did we expect 13 years before, a RPG with full voice acting at all NPCs?
World of Xeen CD version was made much earlier, and it features digitized voice for all NPCs.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 16 May 2012, 17:22

tolich wrote:Etched in gold, you mean? :)
I saw what you did there. :devious:

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 18 May 2012, 07:35

tolich wrote:
XEL II wrote:Golden words!
Etched in gold, you mean? :)
I think you know very well what I mean, Evgeny :tongue:
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

Return to “Might and Magic”