Might and Magic X: Project Update (!) May 1st, 2012

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Might and Magic X: Project Update (!) May 1st, 2012

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 01 May 2012, 13:33

A Rapid Recovery in the Face of Imminent Defeat!

Might and Magic X: Children of the Void

Project Update: May 1st, 2012

It's been awhile since we last updated you on our progress, but there is plenty of time to make it up to you, and we surely will!

We’ve had a very unpredictable journey, full of hardships, but we’re finally getting ourselves organized into making a game. MMX has probably had the most conflicts and setbacks out of any other existing Might and Magic projects out there, including Might and Magic Tribute, which is still alive and well also! Now that we have an excellent core team together, this year will be highly focused towards game design and the beginning stages of development. We will continue making the first levels of the game and work on the game’s infrastructure (menus, interfaces, character screens, etc.) MMX is going to work on clearly defining it’s design and purpose so that we can create a game that’s totally manageable for our hard-working part time staff. In addition to this, we will start generating asset lists in preparation for production.

MMX will be designed in Unity in C++ and we have several programmers working on the source code, as well as several aspiring level designers and 3d modelers who are working towards producing the first town in the game, and the landmass for the first region in the game. We are largely starting from scratch, but we have a very dedicated staff of 32 active, part-time team members. Some of our team members are able to contribute more than others, and these are the guys and gals who are really helping to drive the project forward. Needless to say, we will be up and running, going strong and making large updates within the next few months, so...

Read the full version here: http://www.thegaminguniverse.org/forum/ ... ic=41145.0

P.S. Our forums at the Gaming Universe have been reorganized and are now reopened! Make an account and come chat with us.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 01 May 2012, 14:58

Good to hear. And, as you might have noticed, I already have an alpha release of Arcomage Clone, which is already separated into a library and a frontend, so by the time you make some good progress, I should have some more issues ironed out on my end, too.

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 01 May 2012, 16:37

GreatEmerald wrote:Good to hear. And, as you might have noticed, I already have an alpha release of Arcomage Clone, which is already separated into a library and a frontend, so by the time you make some good progress, I should have some more issues ironed out on my end, too.
Isn't your clone programmed in D?

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 02 May 2012, 04:11

The backend is written in D, the frontend is written in C. I'm not sure if you can use external libraries in Unity (I know you can in Unreal Engine), but if you can, then adding that functionality should be simple as D code is compatible with C and C++. And if not, it's not that much different from C#.

Torur
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Torur » 02 May 2012, 14:14

Great to see the project taking form and moving forward. Just hope you don't bite more off then you can chew. I am really looking forward to this one...

Daerandin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Daerandin » 02 May 2012, 20:15

Glad to see the project taking on a structured approach now. I read over the full post on your own fourms and I have to say that I am impressed.

If you want some feedback on your ideas from a grumpy fan of the series, I would personally prefer no connection between the original universe and Ubisoft's creations. However, that does not mean I might not learn to accept it or possibly even like it if it is done well.

I have to admit that I do like the idea of wrapping things up.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Might and Magic X: Project Update (!) May 1st, 2012

Unread postby GrayFace » 04 May 2012, 04:07

MMXAlamar wrote:MMX has probably had the most conflicts and setbacks out of any other existing Might and Magic projects out there, including Might and Magic Tribute, which is still alive and well also!
WoX2 may have had more of those :)
MMXAlamar wrote:We are largely starting from scratch, but we have a very dedicated staff of 32 active, part-time team members.
WOW! That's a very big team. Almost as big as WoG Team was.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby koval321 » 25 May 2012, 05:29

Please dont relase it in parts like TCC because playing from scratches is nightmare. Its natural that some patches will be relased later and instalation procedure will grown to point where everybody will be confused, months after first relase it will be something about dozen topics and several steps of instalation procedure.

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 25 May 2012, 21:23

koval321 wrote:Please dont relase it in parts like TCC because playing from scratches is nightmare. Its natural that some patches will be relased later and instalation procedure will grown to point where everybody will be confused, months after first relase it will be something about dozen topics and several steps of instalation procedure.
No it won't, TCC is a mod where you need the game already installed. MMX is going to be an original game so it will have an auto installer.

koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby koval321 » 26 May 2012, 05:21

ok thx

hey I have one simple idea which could strongly balance game and increase playability, its to make locked quests, open by player experience level. So he will never get in situation overpowered, which is very common to M&M, at least 6-8. I think it usualy become visible after 30% progress in game. This must ofcourse go with increase amount of quests (to have free choice) otherwise game would be linear. Maybe not exactly to each level but after 10 levels open different quests. Also generate amount of monsters by level on open maps.

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 27 May 2012, 17:33

koval321 wrote:ok thx

hey I have one simple idea which could strongly balance game and increase playability, its to make locked quests, open by player experience level. So he will never get in situation overpowered, which is very common to M&M, at least 6-8. I think it usualy become visible after 30% progress in game. This must ofcourse go with increase amount of quests (to have free choice) otherwise game would be linear. Maybe not exactly to each level but after 10 levels open different quests. Also generate amount of monsters by level on open maps.
Interesting idea! Right now we're working on getting core functionality set up, so we'll be able to discuss and implement other things later....probably will take a few months to get everything preliminary set up for the game.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 27 May 2012, 19:54

In contrast I consider this idea is bad. No one Might and Magic game limits some content by experience level. Anytime you can go anywhere. The only limits are geographic placement and traffic schedule.
How about those ones who play without training for higher score? This artificial limit may prevent them from playing their style.

Ah, I remember that you must obtain some special title like 'Chosen Ones' to be permitted to some areas, but it's not the experience level itself.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 27 May 2012, 23:43

koval321 wrote:Please dont relase it in parts like TCC because playing from scratches is nightmare. Its natural that some patches will be relased later and instalation procedure will grown to point where everybody will be confused, months after first relase it will be something about dozen topics and several steps of instalation procedure.
I am not sure what you mean, but for the record TCC was released all at once, through some beta testing was offered prior to release. TCC part 2 was separately and solely created by BDJ after the TCC team had disbanded. Other mods though improving some aspects were not part of the TCC effort but of individuals such as Vladimir who had been part of the team and are not required to play TCC.

Back on topic, I have been monitoring your efforts and am eager to see you finish it.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

koval321
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby koval321 » 28 May 2012, 05:49

tolich wrote:In contrast I consider this idea is bad. No one Might and Magic game limits some content by experience level. Anytime you can go anywhere. The only limits are geographic placement and traffic schedule.
How about those ones who play without training for higher score? This artificial limit may prevent them from playing their style.

Ah, I remember that you must obtain some special title like 'Chosen Ones' to be permitted to some areas, but it's not the experience level itself.
This style of playing is opposite to concept of game where make quests and gain experience is integral part of it. Its like trying to finish schooter game without schoot etc. Experience can be describled as rank, for example based on Social Class in Medieval England Player will begin as peasant, after level 10 gain higher rank etc. and may enter castle and meet king after nobility. At every number of levels player would see this rank name, and quest giver would say come back if you get this rank, the same as train skills but when take quests.

Quest rank limit may also work backward, if you save world from great evil nodoby will tell you anymore: "hey you go to swamp and catch my pig!" at this point npcs will give you more respect in dialogs for example title you sir and give quests of something important and difficulty. This make sense because actualy player will never make later small quest for few exp points and dont want to be bothered with them. This may result in constant challanges and no boring pointless actions.

Well this is big question: made game considering present standards in RPG (and take risk of changes) or very old school (but aim to limited amount of fans)

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 30 May 2012, 20:44

An interesting idea, but I think it would be a bit too difficult to implement for little gain. I'd rather see something similar to the Arena system in MM3 - there you fight increasingly difficult enemies, and the types of enemies you face give hints to which areas you are supposed to be exploring at your skill level. First you fight goblins that are present in the first town, then orcs that are a bit further away, etc. Hence you are not out of ideas about where you're supposed to be going, but not limited, either.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 31 May 2012, 05:28

GreatEmerald wrote:An interesting idea, but I think it would be a bit too difficult to implement for little gain.
Even in MM6 there's the Seer who make advice according on experience level, among other things. It's his hint about the promotions. So it's a check of but one variable. Though it's my option as a player to train and lose days and score or to rush.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 31 May 2012, 06:33

The Seer is much different than either of our proposals. Mostly in that it's mostly useless - it just indicates what is the main quest, and you can usually tell that by simply going to your quest log. Koval's suggestion, as I understand it, is to have the game change depending on your party's status. So that would require every single NPC having different dialogue depending on your level/status, and a lot more quests for the different levels. And my suggestion is for giving hints about what areas - dungeons, not quests - are of similar level to your own party.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 31 May 2012, 09:27

GreatEmerald wrote:The Seer is much different than either of our proposals. Mostly in that it's mostly useless - it just indicates what is the main quest, and you can usually tell that by simply going to your quest log. Koval's suggestion, as I understand it, is to have the game change depending on your party's status.
1) The same. The questgiver has a topic, that responds depending from your level. 'Ah, I have a task for you. But it's not for lames like you. Come again latter when you get tougher.'
2) The engine of MM actually has a possibility to change topic list in events. So quest one may simply (dis)appear after training.
GreatEmerald wrote:So that would require every single NPC having different dialogue depending on your level/status, and a lot more quests for the different levels.
Why every single, only those who is involved in such quests.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 31 May 2012, 12:50

tolich wrote:1) The same. The questgiver has a topic, that responds depending from your level. 'Ah, I have a task for you. But it's not for lames like you. Come again latter when you get tougher.'
2) The engine of MM actually has a possibility to change topic list in events. So quest one may simply (dis)appear after training.

Why every single, only those who is involved in such quests.
I'm not disputing that it would be possible in Horizon. But MMX is not on Horizon, for one, so that line of thought is irrelevant.

Sure, that would work, but I got the impression that Koval wanted more immersion. Limiting possible quests by itself is not enough, it would be more annoying than immersive.

Return to “Might and Magic”