MM6: Can't fly on Laptop keyboard

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Denim Dan
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

MM6: Can't fly on Laptop keyboard

Unread postby Denim Dan » 29 Apr 2012, 23:07

I've downloaded GrayFace's MM6 Patch v1.11.1 and his MM6Controls. I'm still using the CD and playing on a Laptop with Windows 7. GrayFace's patch has enabled me to play in windowed mode which is really nice also, but here's my problem.

I've used the fly scroll from the bank in New Sorpigal so I can teleport to Temple of the Gods but when I use the scroll(winged feet show up in top right corner of screen) I can't fly up. I've changed the controls for PgUp to the J or [ key and it still won't work. I've changed the jump key to J to make sure the changes do work though. I'm at a loss as to why I can't get this to work. All other keys except for flying controls work properly. The 'always run' option is also working so the patch seems to be working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I can't get this to work playing on seems kind of pointless since I remember how integral flying was to the game.

Thanks again,

Denim Dan

ShadowLiberal
Golem
Golem

Unread postby ShadowLiberal » 30 Apr 2012, 02:32

Is it a Knight that used the scroll by any chance?

The person who casts fly needs to still have some mana, otherwise fly won't work. Same with waterwalk. Both drain your mana overtime when flying or walking over water.

Also you CAN use the teleporter without fly, if you look up and jump and click the teleporter.

Denim Dan
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Denim Dan » 30 Apr 2012, 15:06

That would be my problem. It's a group of 4 knights. I'm looking for a challenge end game because everything is easy when you go the Mage route. It has to be possible to beat the game without magic besides what you can get from NPCs.

Thanks for the tip on jumping and using the portal. Have to give it a shot next chance I get.

Thanks again!

Denim Dan

Denim Dan
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Denim Dan » 30 Apr 2012, 19:54

Does this mean the knights can't use any scroll or just fly/water walk?

Thanks,

Denim Dan

Asomath
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Asomath » 30 Apr 2012, 19:59

You should be clear on all other scrolls as far as I can remember... only Fly/Waterwalk exact a mana toll over time.

~Asomath

ShadowLiberal
Golem
Golem

Unread postby ShadowLiberal » 30 Apr 2012, 21:55

Denim Dan wrote:Does this mean the knights can't use any scroll or just fly/water walk?

Thanks,

Denim Dan
Only spells that drain mana over time are useless, so yes, as far as I can remember only those two spells are the problem.

Also if you're going through the game with all knights a few tips for getting around with fly and water walking.

-You can climb most mountains (very slowly) by walking up it, though sometimes you have to find the right spot to climb.

-You can jump on top of water and run across it to get to an island and back with no dock. Hiring a healer can really help at this.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 30 Apr 2012, 22:17

Yes those are the only two spells that cause problems. I have run KKKK before.

Because you don't have to spend all that cash on spells, I highly suggest a gate master/wind master. Losing 40% of your world cash (does not affect vendor sales!) isn't nearly as big an issue without needing to buy magic. Wind master takes care of both flying and water walking, and town portal is just flat out nice to have.

The only area that will cause problems is the room in the Tomb of VARN with all the pools where you have to read the scrolls (behind the flame wall). Due to all the damage that comes in, not being able to heal makes the place a real pain. Other than that I had no problems with this comp, just remember to make periodic stops to the temples.

Return to “Might and Magic”