MM7: Stuff I'd like to know

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
busted85
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

MM7: Stuff I'd like to know

Unread postby busted85 » 23 Mar 2012, 19:46

Hey

I finally decided to replay this oldie. As my memory has grown a little rusty concerning this game, I need to ask a thing or two so that I can proceed with my current playthrough.

I remember that there were two chests in the game which contained exceptional loot (artifacts). The chests were found in the Tularean Forest and in the Land of the Giants I believe. Did they "just" hold a chance of containing an artifact or could they contain a relic as well?

I seem to remember that the skill bonuses received from various items would be cumulative once the items were worn by a character. Most likely I've remembered this incorrectly, but just in case I'd like to know if I need to patch my game in order for this to work (don't want to do that right now).

If I wanted to change the portrait graphics (gifs) and the graphics of a character seen while viewing the inventory, which files would I've to replace then and what utility would I need to use for this?

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 23 Mar 2012, 22:18

1) Chests that contain artifacts almost certainly can contain relics as well. Note that loot is generated upon entering zone rather than opening chest. Reloading to save prior to entering dungeon will give you reroll.
2) Item bonuses generally don't stack.
3) All pictures are held in lod files. There isn;t convenient tool for easy use to edit them, but it is possible.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 24 Mar 2012, 06:50

tress wrote:There isn't convenient tool for easy use to edit them, but it is possible.
MMArchive by GrayFace?

busted85
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby busted85 » 28 Mar 2012, 17:36

Thanks for the replies. Are there any more chests besides the ones mentioned that guaranteed hold an/a artifact/relic?

ShadowLiberal
Golem
Golem

Unread postby ShadowLiberal » 31 Mar 2012, 21:01

tress wrote:2) Item bonuses generally don't stack.
Item bonuses only stack on artifacts. So you can have a +10 ring of dodging and the Hands of the Master artifact and get +20 added to your dodging skill.

Relics however do not stack, and normal items don't stack either.

Mn
Scout
Scout

I'm never played with Monks - sorry

Unread postby Mn » 03 Apr 2012, 19:54

Artifact "Corsair Blade" (or similar) gives to your Thief (in Party) bonuses (+5 stealing & +5 disarm) despite of all others attr. enchantment items. In other words, if your thief equips item +25 steal, bonus will be 30 with "Corsair". It's one of the ways how very easy to obtain Cube from Tolberty/Robert. You are only must be Master-steal (7) and ... chance 1/10 approx to steal blaster and Cube (in Invisibility, of course). I don't like this, as thief's skill points may be distributed much better. Another easy way to obtain the Cube exists (by fight). All my words above concerning only to first level party, and I'm not found any reason to train in this simply game.
Sorry of my English

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Re: I'm never played with Monks - sorry

Unread postby tolich » 04 Apr 2012, 08:30

Mn wrote:Artifact "Corsar" to your Thief (in Party) bonuses (+5 stealing & +5 disarm) despite of all others attr. enchantment items.
I believe that bonuses of Corsar, Old Nick, Hareck's Leather, Dagger of Lady Carmin, and Shadow Mask don't stack altogather.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 04 Apr 2012, 15:54

tolich wrote:I believe that bonuses of Corsar, Old Nick, Hareck's Leather, Dagger of Lady Carmin, and Shadow Mask don't stack altogather.
Why wouldn't they? The bonuses are not the same, so they should stack...

ShadowLiberal
Golem
Golem

Unread postby ShadowLiberal » 04 Apr 2012, 17:08

GreatEmerald wrote:
tolich wrote:I believe that bonuses of Corsar, Old Nick, Hareck's Leather, Dagger of Lady Carmin, and Shadow Mask don't stack altogather.
Why wouldn't they? The bonuses are not the same, so they should stack...
Because those are Relics, and Relics don't stack. Only Artifacts stack. It's stupid I agree, but that's how it is.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 04 Apr 2012, 17:56

ShadowLiberal wrote:Because those are Relics, and Relics don't stack.
IIRC, Hareck's Leather does stack with the ordinary ring of Thievery. I mean they don't boost each other. I'll test it.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 13 Apr 2012, 17:50

tolich wrote:I mean they don't boost each other. I'll test it.
Tested. Hareck's Leather, Old Nick and Corsair stack altogather, their bonuses are accumulated, giving +15 to Disarm Traps and +10 to Thievery. In contrast, Dagger of Lady Carmin and Shadow Mask do not stack with ordinary items (and with each other), probably because they are but ordinary items with specific enchantments. Though they can stack with artifacts and Relics, only the best of special items' bonuses is taken into account.

busted85
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby busted85 » 17 Jun 2012, 15:55

Here's something new that I'm curious about;

What determines which creatures will be spawned when a map is loaded for the first time? Is it completely random or are things like character levels, statistics, etc factored in?

Mn
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Mn » 18 Jun 2012, 06:31

busted85 wrote:Here's something new that I'm curious about;

What determines which creatures will be spawned when a map is loaded for the first time? Is it completely random or are things like character levels, statistics, etc factored in?
Spawned creatures don't depend from party level and statistics. Number and strendgh of monsters in any location are approx equal then you travel to new game "rectangle" or any dungeon, but with little variations. So you can reload game to walk any location easier.
About chests with art/relics - I dont remember any 100% container except of one or two "secret" chests in Clankers Lab. Even in Dragoon Caves (?, in Kriegspire) you can't find any artifact, but as usual there are many very good items.
Sorry of my English

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 18 Jun 2012, 07:19

Yea, I think the creature spawning mechanism works something like this: there is a preset encounter with an encounter strength, for instance Goblin 5. That 5 can translate to 5 normal goblins, to 2 normal goblins and one stronger goblin or a single goblin king.

Return to “Might and Magic”