MM6 TCC Help Installing Pt.2?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Graff
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

MM6 TCC Help Installing Pt.2?

Unread postby Graff » 23 Mar 2012, 00:39

I just finished playing part 1, (big thanks to Jeff for the help) but now I am having difficulties starting part 2. I replaced the files and followed the instructions, but the installer claims I have not finished Pt.1 yet. Now, it says that editing the saves could lead to this error which I did not know... I had to edit the game twice to manually fix bugs with chest keys, the chest in the underground and the chest with the bird statuette in it (if you have the key it will set off the trap, but then not open even though the key disappears.) I used Elrond's MM6 editor to place a copy of each key in my inventory (they show up as msg scroll ### in the item list for conversion.) After seeing the install fail I redid the Pt.1 mods and came up with a save "TCC Expansion." Loading this drops me quite far into the middle of the water of mystic isles, the maps do not change. Everyone dies, and I end up in new sorpigal only now there are bone dragons everywhere and no peasants. In addition, everyone is at the start class. Any tips?

Another glitch is that I was never able to get the "visit lord godwinson in castle birka quest" complete, probably because I visited him before the seer or something like that.
Last edited by Anonymous on 27 Apr 2012, 19:28, edited 2 times in total.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Re: Might and Magic VI The Mandate of Heaven

Unread postby tolich » 23 Mar 2012, 07:56

Graff wrote:Hiring two instructors only gives 15% boost to XP, not 30%.
It's a general issue: if you hire two Guides, your still will travel 4 days (5-1), but if Guide and Tracker, then 2 days (5-1-2).

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 23 Mar 2012, 13:25

Graff wrote:Do stats actually make any significant difference in the game? From what I can tell all they do are boost HP, SP and recovery. It seems that something like a ring "of Earth" (+10 Endurance, AC, HP) is more useful than "of the Gods" because the extra stats only help with raising AC and HP (as well as SP, but still) anyways and do it much less efficiently.
Yes, stats are pretty useless later on. http://sites.google.com/site/sergroj/mm/mechanics/
Graff wrote:Spells other than the healing and teleporting ones also seem useless. Level 12, Master Water Magic druid can do a max of maybe 60 points with Ice Bolt against a fire creature (with maybe 70% of the time doing less than 30.) In comparison, the same druid with only Level 4 Expert Dagger using Divine Daggers with bonus damage enchantments (of Infernos, of Thunderbolts, of the Dragon etc.) can easily do 50 points of damage consistently and attack twice in the same time it takes to recover from casting Ice Bolt.
Shrapmetal, Poison Spray and Sparks hit really hard. Starburst, Meteor Shower and Armageddon too. Ice Bolt comes in handy in Garik's Forge against elementals you can't hit in melee.
Graff wrote:1.Druid upgrade... I foolishly chose two druids to play this last one and for one reason or another missed the March circle of stones. I ended up not leveling up for the rest of the game because of benefits given by rank for the Arch druid status. With level 29 characters it was still fairly easy to clear out the entire Dragonsands, Paradise Valley, and Hermit's Isle though... which should probably not be the case. I could have very easily beaten the game before the June upgrade but I wanted to have all the quests completed before then.
I don't understand why you didn't level up. If you level up and then promote, you gain the same benefits. You can do the second promotion without the first one, but I have a feeling as if it promoted my druid to Great Druid instead of Arch Druid when I tried this. You surely won't be able to complete the first promotion after doing so.
Graff wrote: 4. On my copy the game plays in a windowed screen. At first I really disliked it for not being full screen but it does make it easier to look at the maps on The-Spoiler. One cool thing is that the movies work though, previously it worked full screen (I uninstalled the game from then to now) but none of the movies worked (intro, slicker leaving the council, end win.) What's the reasons behind this? All in all I would choose the windowed one now if I had a choice just for the movies.
What happens if you press F4?
Graff wrote: 3. Crystals... I HATE seeing "Useless Crystal" pop up. It's not a big deal to give a crystal in this game, and you already need expert perception to get them. I collect the crystals when I play, I never sell them. I'm sure there are other people like me... If there is a fix for this so all Crystals are obtainable I would love to know how to implement it.
Graff wrote: 5. The circus is only available for around 3 months of the year (not sure, I think though)... is there a fix to get it to follow the time codes listed on the-spoiler? The game takes well under a game year to finish for most people, so if you miss one month you may never see it again.
It's possible to do "fixes" for these by changing EVT files or making MMExt scripts.
Graff wrote: 6. Artifact/Relic limits. Eventually it becomes impossible to get them from bodies... I found this out after I already collected Excalibur, Igraine, Guinevere, and Morgan from creatures. (Excalibur is the sword in the stone for Eel Infested Waters, the other artifacts are available after solving the obelisks)
viewtopic.php?p=330422&highlight=#330422
This can also be done as an MMExt script.
Graff wrote: 7. Why does the obelisk rock have a trap? It's a reward for solving a puzzle, not treasure you are stealing from baddies. I just feel like a trap doesn't fit with the theme of being rewarded for solving a puzzle. Can the rock even be opened before clicking all the obelisks?
This can be changed in the map file or with MMExt script.
Graff wrote: 9. Broken but unidentified items show up as green, not red, if you go to a shop to repair them. You have to know where the broken item is before hand or just click on all green items until you find the broken and it gets fixed. On the plus side repairing a unidentified item also identifies it. Still, I think broken is a more relevant condition than unidentified. Nothing major of course.
I'll write this down to change in my patch.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Graff
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Graff » 23 Mar 2012, 18:02

GrayFace wrote:
Graff wrote:Do stats actually make any significant difference in the game? From what I can tell all they do are boost HP, SP and recovery. It seems that something like a ring "of Earth" (+10 Endurance, AC, HP) is more useful than "of the Gods" because the extra stats only help with raising AC and HP (as well as SP, but still) anyways and do it much less efficiently.
Yes, stats are pretty useless later on. http://sites.google.com/site/sergroj/mm/mechanics/
Thank you for those stats, very useful.
GrayFace wrote:
Graff wrote:Spells other than the healing and teleporting ones also seem useless. Level 12, Master Water Magic druid can do a max of maybe 60 points with Ice Bolt against a fire creature (with maybe 70% of the time doing less than 30.) In comparison, the same druid with only Level 4 Expert Dagger using Divine Daggers with bonus damage enchantments (of Infernos, of Thunderbolts, of the Dragon etc.) can easily do 50 points of damage consistently and attack twice in the same time it takes to recover from casting Ice Bolt.
Shrapmetal, Poison Spray and Sparks hit really hard. Starburst, Meteor Shower and Armageddon too. Ice Bolt comes in handy in Garik's Forge against elementals you can't hit in melee.
I forgot about diamond gargoyles... lots of meteor showers for them. For the elementals I would enter turn based mode in a safe place and shoot a few rounds. I'm not sure what to call the tactic, but unlike goblins or soldier types they will "hide" and you can usually pop out after they hide and take out small groups in different corners.
GrayFace wrote:
Graff wrote:1.Druid upgrade... I foolishly chose two druids to play this last one and for one reason or another missed the March circle of stones. I ended up not leveling up for the rest of the game because of benefits given by rank for the Arch druid status. With level 29 characters it was still fairly easy to clear out the entire Dragonsands, Paradise Valley, and Hermit's Isle though... which should probably not be the case. I could have very easily beaten the game before the June upgrade but I wanted to have all the quests completed before then.
I don't understand why you didn't level up. If you level up and then promote, you gain the same benefits. You can do the second promotion without the first one, but I have a feeling as if it promoted my druid to Great Druid instead of Arch Druid when I tried this. You surely won't be able to complete the first promotion after doing so.
You're right... I assumed that the bonus points in levels were permanent, and didn't want to lose out on the opportunity. Although still... my knight and cleric would be leaps and bounds better than the already terrible druids if I leveled up without the upgrades. Actually that brings me to another bothersome thing, quite often my knight will be at like 90% health, cleric at 75% but both druids fighting for consciousness. I know there are some predispositions among the monsters to attack some types more than others, but still. Definitely will not be using druids again anytime soon.
GrayFace wrote:
Graff wrote: 4. On my copy the game plays in a windowed screen. At first I really disliked it for not being full screen but it does make it easier to look at the maps on The-Spoiler. One cool thing is that the movies work though, previously it worked full screen (I uninstalled the game from then to now) but none of the movies worked (intro, slicker leaving the council, end win.) What's the reasons behind this? All in all I would choose the windowed one now if I had a choice just for the movies.
What happens if you press F4?
I messed around with resolutions, properties, everything. Closest I got was setting properties to full screen, which would start out the game full screen then go back to windowed... leaving the 3do start page covering the entire screen with the windowed game working on top of it.
GrayFace wrote:
Graff wrote: 3. Crystals... I HATE seeing "Useless Crystal" pop up. It's not a big deal to give a crystal in this game, and you already need expert perception to get them. I collect the crystals when I play, I never sell them. I'm sure there are other people like me... If there is a fix for this so all Crystals are obtainable I would love to know how to implement it.
Graff wrote: 5. The circus is only available for around 3 months of the year (not sure, I think though)... is there a fix to get it to follow the time codes listed on the-spoiler? The game takes well under a game year to finish for most people, so if you miss one month you may never see it again.
It's possible to do "fixes" for these by changing EVT files or making MMExt scripts.
How does one do that? The most complex editing I've ever done to a game was changing some 0's to 1's in that mm6.ini file to get the music working.
GrayFace wrote:
Graff wrote: 6. Artifact/Relic limits. Eventually it becomes impossible to get them from bodies... I found this out after I already collected Excalibur, Igraine, Guinevere, and Morgan from creatures. (Excalibur is the sword in the stone for Eel Infested Waters, the other artifacts are available after solving the obelisks)
viewtopic.php?p=330422&highlight=#330422
This can also be done as an MMExt script.
Wow, it's cool how recent the posts are... I'm quite surprised that this old game still has a following. I don't understand the language used in the posts at all though, RAM and address and whatnot.
GrayFace wrote:
Graff wrote: 7. Why does the obelisk rock have a trap? It's a reward for solving a puzzle, not treasure you are stealing from baddies. I just feel like a trap doesn't fit with the theme of being rewarded for solving a puzzle. Can the rock even be opened before clicking all the obelisks?
This can be changed in the map file or with MMExt script.
Graff wrote: 9. Broken but unidentified items show up as green, not red, if you go to a shop to repair them. You have to know where the broken item is before hand or just click on all green items until you find the broken and it gets fixed. On the plus side repairing a unidentified item also identifies it. Still, I think broken is a more relevant condition than unidentified. Nothing major of course.
I'll write this down to change in my patch.
Thank you very much for the reply, I appreciate it. Do you happen to have a start class or guide somewhere? Reading around I found mention of learning for faster leveling up and using a spear in combination with a dagger as more effective than two daggers. I am still curious about the item under the inn at Ironfist though...

And thank you too Tolich, It's good to know it was meant to be that way.

thrakk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby thrakk » 24 Mar 2012, 00:40

GrayFace wrote:I'll write this down to change in my patch.
You still plan on updating your patch... nice. I've been hoping to see the minor bug fix for the permanent bonus wells that's on your to do list.

I'll resend the PM I sent you a year ago where I pointed out the code that needs to be changed.
(and here was my other idea about changing the 'esc' button to exit conversations and places)

---

I didn't realize that using two instructors doesn't give 30% bonus. I used to try to do this combination but banker + instructor can be equally handy.

Thanks again for your patches

kimmyst
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby kimmyst » 24 Mar 2012, 13:51

Graff, in Ironfist, under the Inn by Snergle's Cavern there is a horseshoe spawn. It spawns there the first year and when the area respawns there is horseshoes you can pick up near the inn.

I won the game using 2 druids and 2 archers. I'm re-playing it with 4 druids now. The running makes it harder if you play real time not turn based like I do. The recovery times are more when you're running so I stand still in fights or hold down the shift key. Druids are not easy but for me they're fun to play.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 24 Mar 2012, 20:02

Yea, generally in fullscreen the game is somehow different. Like you said, videos don't like to play in fullscreen, but work fine in windowed mode. Sometimes in fullscreen there is white flickering. And you can climb extremely tall hills in fullscreen, but not in windowed mode. I'm not sure why that is so. However, I've never seen the issue of starting the game in fullscreen before.

Druids are fine. They are balanced, and if anything, I'd say they are overpowered. They get more spellpoints than any other character types, and they can learn all types of magic except mirror, making them very useful for both healing and attacking with spells. They make sorcerers completely obsolete. And I never had a problem with their endurance - with that many spellpoints, they can heal themselves faster than they get damaged. At least early to middle in the game (haven't got further yet).

Graff
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Graff » 25 Mar 2012, 00:25

kimmyst wrote:Graff, in Ironfist, under the Inn by Snergle's Cavern there is a horseshoe spawn. It spawns there the first year and when the area respawns there is horseshoes you can pick up near the inn.

I won the game using 2 druids and 2 archers. I'm re-playing it with 4 druids now. The running makes it harder if you play real time not turn based like I do. The recovery times are more when you're running so I stand still in fights or hold down the shift key. Druids are not easy but for me they're fun to play.
Thanks for that, it's strange that they made three horseshoes for that particular location.
GreatEmerald wrote:Yea, generally in fullscreen the game is somehow different. Like you said, videos don't like to play in fullscreen, but work fine in windowed mode. Sometimes in fullscreen there is white flickering. And you can climb extremely tall hills in fullscreen, but not in windowed mode. I'm not sure why that is so. However, I've never seen the issue of starting the game in fullscreen before.

Druids are fine. They are balanced, and if anything, I'd say they are overpowered. They get more spellpoints than any other character types, and they can learn all types of magic except mirror, making them very useful for both healing and attacking with spells. They make sorcerers completely obsolete. And I never had a problem with their endurance - with that many spellpoints, they can heal themselves faster than they get damaged. At least early to middle in the game (haven't got further yet).
I definitely didn't focus on the right skills early on... I stopped at Expert Body Magic. I thought Power Cure would be more useful, but since only the druids take any real damage the extra healing points given as compared to casting Cure Wounds six times were wasted on the Knight and Cleric. Instead I would switch up who got Mordred, much more effective health boosting.

Unrelated, but do any of you have instructions on installing The Chaos Conspiracy? None of the copies of it seem to actually be there anymore, and the one copy I found in a somewhat recent thread has no instructions. I'd really like to play this addition. Thanks!

Graff
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Graff » 29 Mar 2012, 17:23

I've started a new game, but I would like to eventually play The Chaos Conspiracy. If anyone has instructions or needed files to play, please let me know.

I went in a new game and indeed, there is only one horseshoe at the inn. It's definitely a bug that should probably be fixed.

Also, I found post #9 from http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=25103 to be very useful.

Another tip thing I found out playing... when you go to the altar in Temple of Baa and the skeletons are released, you can jump on the table and they cannot get you. I've jumped on the table doing well timed jumps on the stairs but the jump spell works too. Every Lord Skeleton shows up as well as about 2/3 of the rest of them.

Thanks!

Graff
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Graff » 09 Apr 2012, 21:34

Thread topic changed, see main post. Thanks!

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 09 Apr 2012, 22:08

I didn't see this one when you started this thread. Mediafire changed the link on BDJ without warning him and for dubious reasons. The links to his site for TCC and other items is:
http://www.mediafire.com/my%20files/bdjs
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Graff
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Graff » 27 Apr 2012, 19:28

Need help with something else now, thanks!

Return to “Might and Magic”