How do stat modifiers stack exactly?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Dakart
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

How do stat modifiers stack exactly?

Unread postby Dakart » 11 Mar 2012, 20:59

I'm kind of confused on this and can't find an answer via google-fu.

My monk has a +15 disarm ring, w/ a pair of +6 gauntlets in inventory for more difficult circumstances... but when I encountered such a circumstance, I gained no benefit from the gauntlets.

The same monk has a total of +13 unarmed, 10 from gloves and 3 from cloak... but the modifier from the ring doesn't count.

Thoroughly confused.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 11 Mar 2012, 22:29

Which game are you asking about?
Last edited by Anonymous on 12 Mar 2012, 00:52, edited 1 time in total.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Dakart
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dakart » 11 Mar 2012, 22:31

M&M7

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 11 Mar 2012, 23:34

Only the highest bonus gets counted.

Dakart
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dakart » 12 Mar 2012, 00:41

MMXAlamar wrote:Only the highest bonus gets counted.
As I sampled above, this can't be correct. I am guessing there are different rules for different stats?

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 12 Mar 2012, 06:26

Dakart wrote:As I sampled above, this can't be correct. I am guessing there are different rules for different stats?
Nah, there're exceptions for Artifact items. I.e., Hareck's Leather grants independent (distinct from usual items) bonus to Thievery and Disarming.
Your Hands of the Master are artifact as well, so their bonus is also cumulative.

vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 12 Mar 2012, 08:16

tolich is right!
there are separated counts that could affect your skills:
1) simple items with bonuses - if you got more than 1 - the highest will be counted. weakest will be ignored.
2) artifacts - artifacts will be stacked with simple items (like cloak of dodging + master's gloves).
3) npcs - if you got npc that will grant you some bonuses - they will stack with simple item + artifact. 2 similar npc won't stack.
4) different simple items with different effects. in fact there are some simple items that could grant you skills that you wish but be different bonuses.
for example simple mana regeneration ring + ring of unicorn (+15 luck and mana regeneration) - they will stack and you will get +2 mana per minute...there are some other interesting simple items with enchants that could be combined and stacked.
or simple ring of dodge skill + monk ring (unarmed and dodge skills at the same time) - this combinations will stack.

example mm7:
cap of schollar + npc teacher + npc instructor = all with stackand colossaly increace a learning skill.
You can contact me here:
maestro_mod@yahoo.com
vladud @ yandex.ru - preferred one
---
Site about MODs: http://www.mmgames.ru
---
if you wish to upload some materials for this site - let me know.

Dakart
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dakart » 12 Mar 2012, 15:42

Wow, thank you for the superbly comprehensive answer ;) The Hands of the Master did indeed throw me for a loop, Tolich.

And I had also been wondering on Unicorn effects! Wonderful, wonderful information to know. Thanks, guys!

crpgnut
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby crpgnut » 21 Mar 2012, 18:16

Yes, thanks a million. I didn't know that unicorn would stack with "of mana" items and I've played MM7 dozens of times :D

Return to “Might and Magic”