M&MVII sound crackling

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Dakart
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

M&MVII sound crackling

Unread postby Dakart » 05 Mar 2012, 18:33

I'm trying to get back into M&M but have run into an annoying snag:

The music and voices crackle and pop when they play. I'm running Greyface's patch on Windows 7, 64bit. I've also tried turning off audio acceleration in the M&M options window but it doesn't have any effect on the problem.

Is anyone familiar with this problem?

Dakart
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dakart » 05 Mar 2012, 19:40

I managed to fix it (I think) by enabling 3D video acceleration. Although this stalls out the 3DO logo at the start, I can [esc] past this and it seems the game is otherwise ok. Do I need to worry about any other known problems by not having software rendering enabled?

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 06 Mar 2012, 21:22

Cutscenes will only play in windowed mode for some odd reason. Otherwise, no, enjoy your quality sound and graphics!

Dakart
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dakart » 07 Mar 2012, 15:49

Heya! So far, the cut scenes have actually been full screen. But I've run into another annoying problem with hardware rendering... screen flickering!

I'm putting up with it for the time being, but it's certainly annoying. Any known quick fix to t his while still retaining hardware mode? Software mode fixes it but, of course, then I have the sound issues.

Dakart
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Dakart » 07 Mar 2012, 17:04

Welp, having recently reinstalled Windows, I wasn't sure if I'd also reinstalled the old, non-standard, DX runtime suite. Apparently, I must not have done so.

Installing http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... px?id=8109 has, I think, solved the flickering issue for me. It flickers briefly on the startup menu screen, but, aside from that, the game is running perfectly now (knock on wood), together with hardware rendering.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 07 Mar 2012, 22:28

Hmm, interesting. It is always good to install the DX9 libraries, although I don't think anyone noticed that it fixes the white flash issue in MM games.

Alternatively, you could run it in windowed mode, no flickering there either. Also, in windowed mode it is a lot more difficult to scale up cliffs for some reason. The differences between the two are rather interesting on the whole.

radagast82
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby radagast82 » 21 Aug 2012, 11:21

I also have some sound issues in mm6 with TCC and latest grayface patch installed.

In the beginning I had no issues at all, game was playing perfectly, but after I entered the rogue cavern with the rogue leader and got a character diseased, the audio music became very laggy/choppy to the point of utter frustration while playing and listening to it. Closing the game and reloading temporarily fixed the issue, but not for long, it comes back.

I was wondering if this is a general win7 issue and if it can be somehow fixed with the mp3 fix / window-mode etc, or some other way.

Edit:
I just tried the mp3 renaming etc that grayface suggested in his patch, but that has other issues as it seems. First of all the sound quality is kinda bad like a bad cd or something (that's my problem though-maybe there is a better mp3 version somewhere in the net?) and most importantly the looping doesn't work either so the music stops altogether. Damn.
- Lol never mind I just played with changing the musicloop option in the ini file and it was easily fixed. :) Only the bad mp3 quality remains an issue, searching atm for better encoded mp3s out there (320kbps).
Last edited by radagast82 on 21 Aug 2012, 20:33, edited 4 times in total.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 21 Aug 2012, 12:00

Oh yea, I remember running into that issue in the stock game as well. On Win7 x64, too. It kind of randomly started, and never stopped...

Return to “Might and Magic”