Which weapons are encompassed with the Spear skill? (MM VII)

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Holly
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 40
Joined: 09 Dec 2008

Which weapons are encompassed with the Spear skill? (MM VII)

Postby Holly » Jan 13 2012, 16:03

Currently I am unsure to as which weapons fall under the category "spears"? Of course, spears do, but what about halberds and tridents? Can they also be used and apply to themselves the spear mastery with respective ranks of normal, expert, master, grandmaster?

Thanks in advance, my Archer will be grateful to you for your answers :)

User avatar
Hellburn
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 25
Joined: 26 May 2007

Postby Hellburn » Jan 13 2012, 17:46

Spears, halberds and tridents are "spear weapons".

BTW what's the point of giving archer spear skill? (Archers can only master spear skill, so they can wield spear in one hand, but CAN'T use any shields... usless?)

@down:
I'm just asking about theoretical aspect. Anyone can play as they want to :).
Last edited by Hellburn on Jan 13 2012, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Holly
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 40
Joined: 09 Dec 2008

Postby Holly » Jan 13 2012, 19:17

I want it to have spear?

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

User avatar
Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie
Posts: 1006
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Postby Bandobras Took » Jan 13 2012, 23:24

You can expert dagger and use a dagger in the off hand.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

User avatar
Arret
Hunter
Hunter
Posts: 540
Joined: 12 Oct 2011

Postby Arret » Jan 14 2012, 2:35

Bandobras Took wrote:You can expert dagger and use a dagger in the off hand.


This. Remember that the dagger does not add to recovery time of the spear. If for some reason your archer gets into melee combat, spear+halberd will do the most damage in most circumstances.

User avatar
Holly
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 40
Joined: 09 Dec 2008

Postby Holly » Jan 14 2012, 13:33

Arret wrote:
Bandobras Took wrote:You can expert dagger and use a dagger in the off hand.


This. Remember that the dagger does not add to recovery time of the spear. If for some reason your archer gets into melee combat, spear+halberd will do the most damage in most circumstances.



Cool, thanks for the advice. I just want my Archer to have a spear, it is one of the weapons I did not use a lot during my plays of MM VII.
Also, Monk rules :P

User avatar
Hellburn
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 25
Joined: 26 May 2007

Postby Hellburn » Jan 14 2012, 16:59

Bandobras Took wrote:You can expert dagger and use a dagger in the off hand.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Archer cannout learn dagger skill?
And yes - Monk rules :>

User avatar
GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 1521
Joined: 29 Nov 2005

Postby GrayFace » Jan 14 2012, 19:36

You're wrong :)
Note that if you use Spear with Dagger, bumping Spear skill over 7 won't give you any benefits at all.
I think Spear+Dagger is the only good option for Archer.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

User avatar
tolich
Spectre
Spectre
Posts: 745
Joined: 10 Jan 2009
Location: Minsk, Belarus

Postby tolich » Jan 15 2012, 13:42

GrayFace wrote:I think Spear+Dagger is the only good option for Archer.
I think that a Spear without a Dagger would be a bit better.

User avatar
Holly
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 40
Joined: 09 Dec 2008

Postby Holly » Jan 15 2012, 15:24

I just want that my Archer has spear and no daggers as dagger is the weapon I used so many times that it bores me to death. Currently my party of: Archer, Monk, Cleric and Sorcerer is doing just fine. Archer and Monk are the only two classes I haven't used in any of my play troughs. Anyhow, thanks all for being constructive with the advice :P (and to GrayFace too, since finally I can hear that beautiful music from the series on my Win 7:))

User avatar
GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 1521
Joined: 29 Nov 2005

Postby GrayFace » Jan 17 2012, 0:13

tolich wrote:I think that a Spear without a Dagger would be a bit better.

Depends on level and Dagger enchant.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

User avatar
tolich
Spectre
Spectre
Posts: 745
Joined: 10 Jan 2009
Location: Minsk, Belarus

Postby tolich » Jan 17 2012, 11:54

GrayFace wrote:
tolich wrote:I think that a Spear without a Dagger would be a bit better.

Depends on level and Dagger enchant.
1) Then why not two Daggers? Why do you put 27 points into Spear skill, instead of putting them into Dagger skill?
2) I barely imagine the possibility of using a Spear and a Dagger against the same target, they are too different in length, you see.
3) If you don't use spare weapon, it's unnecessary to pay for Master level of Spear skill.

User avatar
Holly
Leprechaun
Leprechaun
Posts: 40
Joined: 09 Dec 2008

Postby Holly » Jan 18 2012, 10:01

What's the fuss about the spear? Why is it so bad, I don't get it? :|
Sure, it's better with a Knight, but why the hate for archer?

User avatar
tolich
Spectre
Spectre
Posts: 745
Joined: 10 Jan 2009
Location: Minsk, Belarus

Postby tolich » Jan 18 2012, 13:31

Holly wrote:Sure, it's better with a Knight, but why the hate for archer?
Because an Archer can Master it, but he cannot dual it with something but Dagger. So this one-hand behaviour is almost useless. In contrast, Dark elves Master sword as well[s], so they could use deadly combination of Spear/Sword, not as good as Knight can though[/s].

P.S. Edited February 19, 2012:
DE cannot use Spears.
Last edited by tolich on Feb 19 2012, 7:55, edited 1 time in total.

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight
Posts: 506
Joined: 06 Jan 2006

Postby BoardGuest808888 » Feb 5 2012, 5:54

a halberd still be better than 2 daggers, I think

User avatar
Xfing
Raider
Raider
Posts: 769
Joined: 04 Jul 2011

Postby Xfing » Feb 19 2012, 0:40

tolich wrote:
Holly wrote:Sure, it's better with a Knight, but why the hate for archer?
Because an Archer can Master it, but he cannot dual it with something but Dagger. So this one-hand behaviour is almost useless. In contrast, Dark elves Master sword as well, so they could use deadly combination of Spear/Sword, not as good as Knight can though.


Dark Elves cannot use Spear at all. They can Master Dagger and Sword and learn Mace at Normal. That's all their melee options. Dual Swords are among the best setups, though.

User avatar
tolich
Spectre
Spectre
Posts: 745
Joined: 10 Jan 2009
Location: Minsk, Belarus

Postby tolich » Feb 19 2012, 7:47

Xfing wrote:Dark Elves cannot use Spear at all.
Oops. :)
They still can dual a Sword with a Mace or a Dagger.

User avatar
Xfing
Raider
Raider
Posts: 769
Joined: 04 Jul 2011

Postby Xfing » Mar 1 2012, 2:29

tolich wrote:
Xfing wrote:Dark Elves cannot use Spear at all.
Oops. :)
They still can dual a Sword with a Mace or a Dagger.


Actually never thought of it. I'd never use a Mace with a Dark Elf though, they can't even get it to Expert where the nifty damage bonus kicks in. And I have never used a dagger in conjunction with a sword, (unless it was a vampire), only two swords for superior damage. Your overall attack speed gets determined only by the weapon in your right hand, am I right?

User avatar
GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero
Posts: 1521
Joined: 29 Nov 2005

Postby GrayFace » Mar 1 2012, 14:49

No, the slowest weapon determines attack speed. You also don't get any damage bonus from skills when dual-wielding unless you're GM in Dagger, because the skill of weapon in the left hand determines damage and attack bonuses.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

User avatar
tolich
Spectre
Spectre
Posts: 745
Joined: 10 Jan 2009
Location: Minsk, Belarus

Postby tolich » Mar 1 2012, 16:32

GrayFace wrote:No, the slowest weapon determines attack speed. You also don't get any damage bonus from skills when dual-wielding unless you're GM in Dagger, because the skill of weapon in the left hand determines damage and attack bonuses.
The bonus from the left hand for Sword/Dagger combination means that Dagger bonus works, but Swords does not, amirite? Dagger's skill bonus doesn't work for Dagger/Sword.
More over, the bonus of the weapon is always used, I assume what you mean is a bonus from skills.


Return to “Might and Magic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests