(MM7)Gibbet -- worth the investment into spear for a Knight?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Encomium
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

(MM7)Gibbet -- worth the investment into spear for a Knight?

Unread postby Encomium » 11 Jan 2012, 20:21

Hey,

So Gibbet recently dropped for me, and I've been debating whether to sink points for my champion to get to at least master so I can dual wield it. Currently I'm dual wielding swords (Wallace and Puck), and putting every point into Armsmaster. I reckon I'll lose about three ranks of Arms if I get spear to GM, with returns diminishing as I keep leveling. Not a huge opportunity cost, but I've no idea if it's worth it. Presumably the modifiers mean a 50% increased damage to demons/undead/dragons, but at what point in the damage multiplying calculations that is added I'm not sure, so it might come out to a fairly small increase. Anyone tested this weapon in comparison with the two swords mentioned?

thanks for any help

Konfuzius
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Konfuzius » 11 Jan 2012, 21:10

I don't think its worth it, although Gibbet is one of my favourite artefacts (land of the giants >:D).

Maybe you should keep Gibbet and become GM spear if you reached a high level in armsmaster like 22. From there on it shouldn't be a big deal to invest some skillpoints for GM spear instead of armsmaster.

Encomium
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Encomium » 11 Jan 2012, 23:21

Thanks Konfuzius -- makes sense. I think his Armsmaster is 14 right now, so I'll wait a bit, but you make a good point about it being a cheap investment later in the game.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 14 Jan 2012, 02:47

As a knight, you should have enough hp to where armor class is almost negligible. I would keep cranking armsmaster, at least until you can get 30 recovery time. Remember base recovery time (before armsmaster) is calculated based on the slowest weapon you have, and spear skill does not reduce recovery time.

If you want to dual wield swords, it still isn't worth any point investment past 7 until you are at minimum skill 16 GM armsmaster (if you haven't gotten GM, it is amazing despite having to go through the tunnels to get to it). I would pick up GM body building with the spare skill points, and of course GM plate.

In MM7 you are looking for the artifact Charele for spears and Wallace for swords. Once you get either, each will be a weapon all the way until blasters.

d2r
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: (MM7)Gibbet -- worth the investment into spear for a Kni

Unread postby d2r » 17 Feb 2012, 21:55

Encomium wrote:Hey,

So Gibbet recently dropped for me, and I've been debating whether to sink points for my champion to get to at least master so I can dual wield it. Currently I'm dual wielding swords (Wallace and Puck), and putting every point into Armsmaster. I reckon I'll lose about three ranks of Arms if I get spear to GM, with returns diminishing as I keep leveling. Not a huge opportunity cost, but I've no idea if it's worth it. Presumably the modifiers mean a 50% increased damage to demons/undead/dragons, but at what point in the damage multiplying calculations that is added I'm not sure, so it might come out to a fairly small increase. Anyone tested this weapon in comparison with the two swords mentioned?

thanks for any help
It really depends on the artifacts you found. In my game, I had a knight with Gibbet in 1 hand and the Lietentant's Cutlass (which, stat-wise, is basically a Goblin Cutlass of the Dragon) - I was doing incredible damage every turn. So yes, I recommend dual spear/sword if you have Gibbet. Granted, there are theoretically higher limits, but by the time you reach that high a level, you've probably beaten the game. :p

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 18 Feb 2012, 03:57

Konfuzius wrote:Maybe you should keep Gibbet and become GM spear if you reached a high level in armsmaster like 22. From there on it shouldn't be a big deal to invest some skillpoints for GM spear instead of armsmaster.
Investing into Spear won't give anything at all, except Armor Class. That's how dual wielding works.
On the subject I'd say yes, mastering a skill isn't too expensive in skill points, especially since knights don't have many skills to develop. I never actually tried using swords by a knight, always used Spear+Sword.
d2r wrote:Lietentant's Cutlass (which, stat-wise, is basically a Goblin Cutlass of the Dragon) - I was doing incredible damage every turn.
No, stat-wise it's improved Champion Sword of Dragon.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

Return to “Might and Magic”