LOE is Using Might and Magic Resources Owned by Ubisoft

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

LOE is Using Might and Magic Resources Owned by Ubisoft

Unread postby legendoferthia » 30 Nov 2011, 07:43

The controversy is being brought up and it is getting a little stressful. As I mentioned I am using resources mainly from Might and Magic VI-VIII. As I read through comments and posts that speak of the potential shutdown or lawsuit of LOE, I feel as if this project is becoming a hassle.

I emailed Ubisoft a while ago asking for permission to use their resources from Might and Magic VI-VIII, however I have not received any word back from them. Perhaps I emailed the wrong department.

However, as I said before... LOE is a NON-PROFIT project for all of those who love Might and Magic. I don't want to make any money off of this project, I am doing this for my own enjoyment of the series and for those who like it as well.

Unfortunately, I cannot afford to hire graphic artists to complete this project. I have been working on LOE completely by myself.

If there is anyone on this forum who has some means of communication with UBISOFT please tell them I am asking them for their permission to use these old graphics.

I don't want to spend all this time creating this project if the end result is going to be UBISOFT shutting me down.

Thanks,

Richard
MIGHT AND MAGIC INSPIRED GAME: Legend of Erthia - Armageddon!
https://www.facebook.com/thelegendoferthia

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 30 Nov 2011, 07:56

I think that Marzhin relates to the Ubisoft.

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 30 Nov 2011, 09:52

No need to worry imo savetara, since we speak about a fun
made project which will be non-proffitable and freeware you
will not have any issues(only at remakes I saw such legal probs,
and from very few companies). But is not bad idea to communicate
with someone "from inside".
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 30 Nov 2011, 17:46

M&MX has been around for six years, even posted on Ubisoft's forums, and we have not once communicated with them. My point of view is that they aren't concerned with minor projects, especially ones that are nonprofit. Think of it this way - you're using assets from a game that's over 10 years old that Ubisoft pretty much makes no sales from. The unfortunate truth is that Ubisoft doesn't care about the old M&M games, because they're extremely outdated and few, if any, people purchase them every year. Their main concern lies with the newer games that are actually bringing in the revenue. So you really have nothing to worry about!

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 30 Nov 2011, 19:36

At a guess, they wouldn't mind free title marketing if they ever do want to do a Might & Magic game.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby legendoferthia » 30 Nov 2011, 23:16

I am willing to stick their logos in the game and on my site, but it would be nice to have permission directly from them without having any doubts.

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 02 Dec 2011, 17:18

I think you should just mention them in the credits or make sure that the logo isn't misinterpreted, making clear the game isn't made by Ubi. Based on what I read at Wikipedia it sounds like a clear fair use. Besides going non-profit, you only use a tiny portion of MM games' resources.

Ubisoft or a company that made M&M Mobile did black-mail one non-profit project in the past, it was Palm Heroes. At that time it was called Pocket Heroes, was free and was using Heroes 2 graphics.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

legendoferthia
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby legendoferthia » 02 Dec 2011, 23:42

That is a good point Grayface, I forgot about the mobile games.

vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 03 Dec 2011, 07:15

GrayFace wrote:I think you should just mention them in the credits or make sure that the logo isn't misinterpreted, making clear the game isn't made by Ubi. Based on what I read at Wikipedia it sounds like a clear fair use. Besides going non-profit, you only use a tiny portion of MM games' resources.

Ubisoft or a company that made M&M Mobile did black-mail one non-profit project in the past, it was Palm Heroes. At that time it was called Pocket Heroes, was free and was using Heroes 2 graphics.
thats right!
until you will claim oney with you project you can just post credits.
many game resources are used in many places and projects cause they are fan-made and free and do not require to be bought.
---
strange that you cannot contact ubisoft...i asked them about mm9 and it's engide litchtech 1.0 and got the answer in 4 days. (negative if you wish to know they suspended mm6-9 development and have no tools for them)
You can contact me here:
maestro_mod@yahoo.com
vladud @ yandex.ru - preferred one
---
Site about MODs: http://www.mmgames.ru
---
if you wish to upload some materials for this site - let me know.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 03 Dec 2011, 08:46

vladimir-maestro wrote:it's engide
Maestro does mean `its engine`. Hope that it doesn't hurt you, Vlad.

Nomad
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Nomad » 05 Dec 2011, 14:15

Don't worry, be happy.
In a totally impossible case Ubi ever touch you, anyone here will be glad to help you replace any questionable graphics by self-made.

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 05 Dec 2011, 17:18

Good to see you around, Nomad!

Torur
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Torur » 06 Dec 2011, 11:31

I'd say let it be. You've done an honest attempt to contact them and let them know what you're up to. As long as you can prove that you've at least tried to contact them without any luck, there should'nt be any major reprocussions.

Return to “Might and Magic”