Might and magic: Dark Messiah, better than earlier titles?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
millionmilesaway
Peasant
Peasant

Might and magic: Dark Messiah, better than earlier titles?

Unread postby millionmilesaway » 04 Apr 2006, 13:39

This question is kinda hard to answer for those of you who have only played one title or so. Here goes. I've played the older titles and they are just great, nothing less. I completed MM8 this weekend, great game a bit too unbalanced, but still a good game! The graphic enhancements on MM9, made the game less of an original and I went back to playing MM6, 7, and 8. I think MM9 looks more like a diablo expansion, rather than a might and magic title.

All in all, I like the cosy type of graphics and I think it gives the game a character and that makes it more longlasting. Some of you would agree with me when I say that roleplaying games exist because people seek excitement outside their daily reality and therefore roleplaying games shouldn't be too realistic. As long as Dark Messiah doesn't look too much like the diablo games, and has a good story it might be a hit. A small, but nice thing is the picture of the character in the inventory. It wasn't there in MM9, quite a disappointment really, but I hope it'll return in Dark Messiah! :-D

What do you fellows think of/hope for in MM Dark Messiah? :hoo:
Last edited by millionmilesaway on 04 Apr 2006, 17:20, edited 2 times in total.

Justice
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Justice » 04 Apr 2006, 14:01

Not much roleplay, hack n slash, good combat system, most likley a thypical and not to good story, good graffics, no party, not MM... not my type of game, but perhaps I'll give it a go if other MMers say it's tolerable :|

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 04 Apr 2006, 14:23

I think there is a bit too little info about DM to say much about it, but for an RPG it is not easy to be better than the best MM games.

millionmilesaway
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby millionmilesaway » 04 Apr 2006, 15:58

Pitsu wrote:I think there is a bit too little info about DM to say much about it, but for an RPG it is not easy to be better than the best MM games.
No, I guess not! So when are they releasing it? Any ideas?

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 04 Apr 2006, 16:14

They said it would come out this Summer. It will be a busy year for us players.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

millionmilesaway
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby millionmilesaway » 04 Apr 2006, 17:49

Angelspit wrote:They said it would come out this Summer. It will be a busy year for us players.
Yeah okay, I wonder what it will be like playing an rpg in first person mode :devil: It might be cool, just gonna have to upgrade my computer, microsoft word has huge requirements these days ;)

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 04 Apr 2006, 18:00

millionmilesaway wrote:microsoft word has huge requirements these days ;)
And so will Windows Vista... :devious:
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

millionmilesaway
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby millionmilesaway » 04 Apr 2006, 18:17

Angelspit wrote:
millionmilesaway wrote:microsoft word has huge requirements these days ;)
And so will Windows Vista... :devious:
There's always hope :) Speaking of hope, hope the 4-character type of MM games won't be deserted! I think it's quite exclusive about might and magic, having made so many multi-character roleplaying games! B-)

Echo_
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Echo_ » 04 Apr 2006, 19:02

Its impossible for DM to be better than any of the Might and Magic games of the past. It may challenge MM6-9 but it won't touch being better than mm2, 4, 5, and, of course, MM3.

Justice
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Justice » 04 Apr 2006, 19:15

It's also impossible for it to be better than 6 and 7 :D

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 04 Apr 2006, 20:28

I expect Dark Messiah to be the equivalent of 3DO's release of Crusaders of M&M. I would *hope* that the title is far better than 3DO's action release, but there are no guarantees. It's always possible that Dark Messiah might be a Rune type of hack and slash game or possibly Rune+Arx Fatalis.
I'd rather be part bull than a complete sheep.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 04 Apr 2006, 20:44

DaveO wrote:I expect Dark Messiah to be the equivalent of 3DO's release of Crusaders of M&M. I would *hope* that the title is far better than 3DO's action release, but there are no guarantees. It's always possible that Dark Messiah might be a Rune type of hack and slash game or possibly Rune+Arx Fatalis.
Thanks, DaveO, for bring up such hideous memories. :-D CoMM was the WORST game I think I ever played. After I bought (& tried to play) Crusaders of M&M, I was so disappointed & outraged that I almost never bought another M&M game again. Luckily, Heroes III Expansions & Heroes IV were both wonderful (I love Heroes IV) and MM8 was pretty cool too, well not as cool as VI & VII but not too bad either.

DMoMM looks really immature, yeah, some nice graphics (maybe) but the gameplay looks like just another adolescent hack 'n' slash. Blah! Image
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 05 Apr 2006, 11:26

Well, as for DM, when I read in a magazine that a new part of MnM is on production I was so happy, but when I visited the DM site I was realy disapointed, not because DM is a bad game(how can I know that, we must w8 to see that)but because I realize that we won't see a true old-scholl CRPG, but one more action-based fantasy game(with some rpg elements thought). I love the MnM6-MnM8, I believe that they are the best crpgs until today, because I like the party based system, the historical backround of the world, the frreedom tha u have(free to go anywhere,light-dark choise etc.) and the excelent skill system. It is sure that these elements will not be part of DM(maybe the scenerio and backround only)because it is a completly difirent game.
Damn, I hate the fact that the gaming industry(i hate this word too)doesn't support anymore RPG games based on the true role playing elementes, but they support the silly(for a rpg) action-model. After the horrible MnM9 and the end of Wizardy series(my 2nd love) I think that CRPGs are going throught crisis and a new MnM based in old good RPG elementents would be smth great for a rpg-fun.
As a RPG fun I'm w8ing only for the new Gothic,an also good new serie but with diffirent philosophy from MnM.
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

millionmilesaway
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby millionmilesaway » 08 Apr 2006, 11:24

Lord13 wrote:Well, as for DM, when I read in a magazine that a new part of MnM is on production I was so happy, but when I visited the DM site I was realy disapointed, not because DM is a bad game(how can I know that, we must w8 to see that)but because I realize that we won't see a true old-scholl CRPG, but one more action-based fantasy game(with some rpg elements thought). I love the MnM6-MnM8, I believe that they are the best crpgs until today, because I like the party based system, the historical backround of the world, the frreedom tha u have(free to go anywhere,light-dark choise etc.) and the excelent skill system. It is sure that these elements will not be part of DM(maybe the scenerio and backround only)because it is a completly difirent game.
Damn, I hate the fact that the gaming industry(i hate this word too)doesn't support anymore RPG games based on the true role playing elementes, but they support the silly(for a rpg) action-model. After the horrible MnM9 and the end of Wizardy series(my 2nd love) I think that CRPGs are going throught crisis and a new MnM based in old good RPG elementents would be smth great for a rpg-fun.
As a RPG fun I'm w8ing only for the new Gothic,an also good new serie but with diffirent philosophy from MnM.
Since I'm not English, I do understand what you mean, although your spelling isn't flawless! ^^, I certainly agree, the party-based system is great and there are great many choices for you to make and it results in a great freedom. I too, think it's quite disappointing that they are leaving the party-based sytem(only for now I hope!) On the other hand, how did it finally end for 3DO? Let's not judge Ubisoft's change, it might be for the better! We're gonna have to wait and see... :baby:

Marelt Ekiran
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Marelt Ekiran » 08 Apr 2006, 16:53

Well, the problem in my opinion is that most people here seem to consider Dark Messiah to be the equivalent of M&M10. It is not. At least, from what I have seen, they don't even intend this game to be an RPG. It's supposed to be an action/FPS game and hence be a title of it's own right.

If you want to judge the game when it comes out, then hold it next to other similar games of the market. If you hold it next to Might and Magic, then of course you're going to be disappointed by lack of story and lack of party-based system with complex statistics... that isn't what this game is aiming for.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 08 Apr 2006, 17:24

The game is a FPS with skills. They were probably thinking of making one anyway, and decided the new M&M universe they were making would fit in nicely.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

millionmilesaway
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby millionmilesaway » 08 Apr 2006, 17:28

Marelt Ekiran wrote:Well, the problem in my opinion is that most people here seem to consider Dark Messiah to be the equivalent of M&M10. It is not. At least, from what I have seen, they don't even intend this game to be an RPG. It's supposed to be an action/FPS game and hence be a title of it's own right.

If you want to judge the game when it comes out, then hold it next to other similar games of the market. If you hold it next to Might and Magic, then of course you're going to be disappointed by lack of story and lack of party-based system with complex statistics... that isn't what this game is aiming for.
The fact that it's party-based should make most people understand that it's not equivalent with the other MM games, perhaps crusaders though. All the pictures show that it's played from a first-person perspective, this too should be obvious. I just hope that there will be stuff to do outside the main quests, so that at least some of the freedom existing in the earlier MM games lives on. If it does, there may be a reason to buy the game. That's my opinion.

Any other thoughts? and have a nice Easter folks!

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 08 Apr 2006, 22:33

Marelt Ekiran wrote:Well, the problem in my opinion is that most people here seem to consider Dark Messiah to be the equivalent of M&M10. It is not. At least, from what I have seen, they don't even intend this game to be an RPG. It's supposed to be an action/FPS game and hence be a title of it's own right.

Yes, you are right if u think it from tha point of view. But any negative comment that I make it's not to the DM as a game(how could I, i must play it first) but I judge the decision of MnM universe to release an action based game than a RPG. In our times we can find hundreds of action games, but good party-based classic RPGs are not seen very often lately. You know, it's the fear that my favorite genre of games is starting to be ignored. I believe that many RPG funs whould prefer a MnM 10 than DM.
Anyway, for the action/rpg genre DM maybe will be a great game, but the question is why we will see one more action game and not a CRPG??
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

millionmilesaway
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby millionmilesaway » 08 Apr 2006, 22:47

Lord13 wrote:Yes, you are right if u think it from tha point of view. But any negative comment that I make it's not to the DM as a game(how could I, i must play it first) but I judge the decision of MnM universe to release an action based game than a RPG. In our times we can find hundreds of action games, but good party-based classic RPGs are not seen very often lately. You know, it's the fear that my favorite genre of games is starting to be ignored. I believe that many RPG funs whould prefer a MnM 10 than DM.
Anyway, for the action/rpg genre DM maybe will be a great game, but the question is why we will see one more action game and not a CRPG??
Another member had a great answer to this question and he said that Ubisoft had two choices, both of them would have negative as well as good effects. Ubisoft could either continue and release MM 10 directly, this would make fans happy, but it wouldn't draw many new unfamiliar players to the game. On the other hand, if they in fact would release a first-person game, it would draw many new players to the MM series, although MM fans would be disappointed. In the long run it would be a great way to make the MM series more famous, having more players. And this member i was talking about thought that ubisoft is doing this: releasing a first-person game in order to draw more players into the series and when the fanbase grows they will continue on the true MM-party-based type of game. However, this is just a speculation. It would be great to see it visualized though! I just hope that the party-based type of MM games are not deserted! That would be ending a great era!

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 09 Apr 2006, 01:15

No matter the decision by Ubisoft, it was a lose/lose situation. If they had actually made the decision to go with MM10 instead of Dark Messiah, there would be the inevitable Oblivion comparisons. By not having much(if any) development on MM10, Ubisoft gets a chance to analyze Oblivion's success and determine how that influences MM10. In my opinion, Ubisoft made a better decision by going with the shooter-influenced Dark Messiah since the only fantasy games I know that are based on shooters are Rune and possibly Far Cry(I never bought the game, so I don't know if it is a fantasy game or not).

P.S.- Ubisoft knows the release of other games by other companies, so they made a smart decision in going with a product that has minimal chance of going against a competing product.
I'd rather be part bull than a complete sheep.

Return to “Might and Magic”