Favorite M&M Paladin

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

Favorite M&M Paladin

MM1 Paladin
No votes
MM2 Paladin
No votes
MM3 Paladin
13%
World of Xeen Paladin
25%
MM6 Paladin
13%
MM7 Paladin
50%
MM8 Minotaur
No votes

Total votes: 8

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Favorite M&M Paladin

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 12 Nov 2011, 06:29

I'm merging MM4&5 here in these polls, obviously, since the same created characters go through both games.

What game features your favorite Paladin when it comes to relative effectiveness?

Ok, what the heck... I'll include the Minotaur, with him starting with Spirit Magic and being able to get Plate... his magic is weaker than most other games' Paladin, but he's more of a "holy warrior" type than the Vampire, that's for sure.
And his magic isn't any worse than the MM1 Paladin.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 12 Nov 2011, 20:18

Vampire in MM8 is closer to the Paladin IMO; Mastery in the self schools seems more defining than a crappy Plate Armor ability.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 12 Nov 2011, 20:44

Minotaur is more of a ranger, than Paladin.
Agree with above - paladin ~ vampire, especially if we drag parallels with archer = DE. DE - up to master elemental, vampire up to master ego.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 13 Nov 2011, 05:08

You could make a case for either, but thinking more about it, OP is probably right.

Heavy melee (plate with slow weapons) with minor healing is what defines the paladin class, although Minotaur seems to match up pretty clearly with Ranger. It is debatable if there even is a paladin class.

Vampire seems a lot more like a thief in terms of daggers and leather being the defining skills. The healing aspect doesn't fit any other game. Giving Master Self magics to Vampire makes it hard to pin down.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 15 Nov 2011, 16:19

Dark Elf always seemed closer to Rogue for me; Daggers, Disarm Trap, Merchant, Perception, with a smattering of elemental magic.

Heavy Melee with minor healing didn't really define the Paladin class for me; the draw was "tougher cleric replacement."

Vampire can be an acceptable Cleric replacement in MM8, whereas Minotaur cannot.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 16 Nov 2011, 02:31

Dark elf maps almost completely to archer (chain, elemental, bow, eventual dark, well darkfire at least) with the added merchant and slightly better disarm. Even in MM7 archers had expert disarm, and only ninjas and thief class could get higher.

I am going to stick with vampires matching up with rogues with weaker disarm. Dagger, leather, and Mistform (type of stealth?). When I think of paladin, "leather wearing fast melee attacker" does not fit in the least. Vampires do have self magics, but that is about the only overlap I can see.

Minotaurs definitely match up pretty well with Rangers, but if there is a paladin class (which there probably isn't) Minotaurs are probably closest.

Return to “Might and Magic”