Questions on improving MM8 party

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
mysticc
Peasant
Peasant

Questions on improving MM8 party

Unread postby mysticc » 02 Nov 2011, 19:53

I've played through MM8 again after many, many years and I'm almost finished - I'm at the part where you have to kill all the elementals in their various planes.

I've been fairly lucky with getting a lot of nice items I think, but I was wondering how I might improve it, just for the hell of it.

1. What would be the best weapons for the Knight? I have a ton of options. For the hell of it, I gave Blazen Stormlance both GM Spear and Sword. The weapons I have: Finality, Terminus, Havoc, Judicious Measure, Glomenthal and Ebonest.

Right now I am using Terminus and Havoc - it seems to give me the best damage range, but how can I know for sure what is ultimately better? It doesn't tell me the DPS after all.

I managed to find a +12 Armsmaster Plate Mail and +8 Armsmaster Gloves (Fleetfingers), and all-in-all, I have +27 Armsmaster skill on him. I have a hat that gives +9 Armsmaster, but it doesn't seem to stack anymore.

2. After you get Master/Grand Master in all the basic skills for the cleric, which is better to boost: Light or Body?

3. What is the best weapon for a Troll? I have a Breaker, but does it count as a Mace?

4. How do I make my cleric act faster in battle?

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 03 Nov 2011, 00:56

1. What would be the best weapons for the Knight? I have a ton of options. For the hell of it, I gave Blazen Stormlance both GM Spear and Sword. The weapons I have: Finality, Terminus, Havoc, Judicious Measure, Glomenthal and Ebonest.

Right now I am using Terminus and Havoc - it seems to give me the best damage range, but how can I know for sure what is ultimately better? It doesn't tell me the DPS after all.
As long your recovery time is on 30, DPS doesn't matter. And your recovery time should be on 30 at this point, especially with so many boosts to Armsmaster. Iirc you can check your recovery time if you have Grayface's mod by hovering your cursor over the attack value on the character screen.
I managed to find a +12 Armsmaster Plate Mail and +8 Armsmaster Gloves (Fleetfingers), and all-in-all, I have +27 Armsmaster skill on him. I have a hat that gives +9 Armsmaster, but it doesn't seem to stack anymore.
Normally, only the highest boost to any one skill counts. Artifacts (Fleetfingers) are an exception to this rule and adds up with normal items.
2. After you get Master/Grand Master in all the basic skills for the cleric, which is better to boost: Light or Body?
Light doesn't really improve much from adding points except for the damage spells and durations on buffs (which are already long enough anyway). So as long you have at least one other (offensive) spelllcaster, you should probably boost Body Magic. But to be honest, at this point it doesn't really matter :)
3. What is the best weapon for a Troll? I have a Breaker, but does it count as a Mace?
Dunno. Mace is all non-staff blunt weapons except the really low-quality clubs you start out with. Does that answer your question?
4. How do I make my cleric act faster in battle?
Lower his recovery time for attacking. For spellcasting, only certain spells get faster per skill point. Most don't and can't be made faster if you're already at the highest rank you can get them to.

Items with faster recovery time or the spell haste don't affect spellcasting. I've tested this in MM7 before. I expect it to be the same in MM8.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 03 Nov 2011, 03:12

Yes, breaker is a mace and it is best item period for a troll. Hammers and maces both qualify under the mace skill.

For weapons, at this point, just grab whatever does most dmg. You shouldn't need +hit because of bless and you shouldn't need recovery bonus because of GM plate and stupidly high lvls of armsmaster.

Body, almost always. Although the extra resist from DoP is nice, the healing makes up for it. The exception is if you are getting mad at those 200+ challenges for free skill points where you need a bunch of light magic skill to reach.

Sorry, cleric won't cast many spells faster. Then again just use regen and preservation and everyone will come back eventually.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 03 Nov 2011, 03:14

One thing I always do in MM8 that you may have forgotten is complete the master bounty hunter quest. It gives a ridiculous amount of xp, something like 1.2 million!

mysticc
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mysticc » 03 Nov 2011, 05:16

Master Bounty Hunter quest? What's that? :)

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 03 Nov 2011, 10:19

It's collecting enough Bounty Hunting reward from the Guild of Bounty Hunters (Ravenshore and Alvar).

BoardGuest808888
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby BoardGuest808888 » 10 Nov 2011, 10:21

1. For knights & trolls, since you probably won't raise any other skills than armsmaster & armor, the best weapons are those with vampiric effect. That way, you won't even need healing anymore, since from your skills alone, you already got a lot of damage (and HP drain). More damaging or faster weapons won't compete much against those with -of Darkness enchantment.

2. I always choose Light for increased resistance. Vampiric weapons + Souldrinker, you won't need Heal anymore.

3. Blunt weapon include club, mace, and hammer of every kind.

4. Like Macros said.

and BTW, in the elemental planes your goal is not to actually kill everything, but to retrieve the elemental gems.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 11 Nov 2011, 00:19

Vampiric is great to have on one weapon for knights (remember GM vamp weapon is permanent enchant). I don't know how good it is for trolls based on the slow recovery time of a mace and no GM armsmaster.

That being said, your cleric/necro won't be doing enough melee damage to keep up with the damage they take, especially in planes of fire and earth. Souldrinker is nice, but eats through mana. It is so much easier to just mash power cure with an occasional shared life and always have regeneration+preservation on.

Return to “Might and Magic”