MM6 ->Help with Bug

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
purple_kathryn
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

MM6 ->Help with Bug

Unread postby purple_kathryn » 01 Apr 2006, 14:40

I have completed the champion quest (ie kill the warlord), however when I go to castle temper and click on "champion" the game completely freezes. If I press ctrl,alt,del the game minimises and a box pops up with "assertion failed at 4794 in d:/mm6Scr/code/party.cpp", when I click ok the game closes down.

As far as I can tell it isn't a listed bug and if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix it, I would be grateful.

Kathryn

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 01 Apr 2006, 19:54

have you tried reinstall? Since it is a uncommon bug it may be because of a damaged file. (Don't erease your savegames while reinstalling). If that does not work try to change game settings, like temporary turning off sound effects.

purple_kathryn
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby purple_kathryn » 02 Apr 2006, 15:20

reinstalling did the trick!

Many thanks!

:-D

dalesangelface
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby dalesangelface » 05 Aug 2009, 05:00

Pitsu wrote:have you tried reinstall? Since it is a uncommon bug it may be because of a damaged file. (Don't erease your savegames while reinstalling). If that does not work try to change game settings, like temporary turning off sound effects.

OK, call me a newbie, an idiot, whatever you want, but I have a problem I'd like to correct and I think this will do it, but I'm now lost.

I'm trying to place a memory crystal in the oracle of enroth (the one from castle alamos), and I keep getting the same kind of error that purple_kathryn had when she started this thread. I know in the past I've had to place a different .exe over my original file, and had to do something with saved games, and I did it fine, but this time I can't find my saved games!!! I also can't figure out how to disable the audio for now. I'm seriously confused.

I've beaten this game before, many many times. I am running it on Vista right now (don't ask how I got it to work, I think I just got lucky), in case that helps.

Please tell me how to re-install without losing my saved games (in essence, where the heck are my saved games for me to copy elsewhere during the re-install???)

Thanks a billion for all your help, I'm so close to finishing it AGAIN, and I don't want to give up now. How frustrating would that be?! I'm looking forward to kicking some queen a** soon so please help when you can!!!

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 05 Aug 2009, 10:47

Try using a newer version of the game.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

solitaire345
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby solitaire345 » 05 Aug 2009, 13:51

dalesangelface wrote:Please tell me how to re-install without losing my saved games (in essence, where the heck are my saved games for me to copy elsewhere during the re-install???)
saves are stored in main game folder's subfolder saves. copy them to any place, where you can later find them, and after reinstall put them into saves folder again

dalesangelface
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby dalesangelface » 05 Aug 2009, 18:45

solitaire345 wrote:
dalesangelface wrote:Please tell me how to re-install without losing my saved games (in essence, where the heck are my saved games for me to copy elsewhere during the re-install???)
saves are stored in main game folder's subfolder saves. copy them to any place, where you can later find them, and after reinstall put them into saves folder again
In my MM6 folder, there are the following subfolders:

Anims
Data
Sounds

And the following individual items:

MM6 Manual
MM6 Quick Reference Guide
MM6 .exe
MSS32.dll
Readme
SMACKW32.dll
uninst.isu

In the data subfolder is where I thought the saved games might be, but all that is in there is:

BITMAPS.LOD
games.LOD
icons.LOD
SPRITES.LOD

As far as I remember there was always a clear "saved games" folder or item to be copied.

Why is this so difficult for me???? Again, I'm running on Vista, if that changes anything. But it shouldn't, I kept my saved games before without a problem on this computer. Any more ideas?

Oh and for who recommended installing a newer version of the game, where do I find that, and what steps do I take (do I just install it on top of the other one?)

Again, thanks for ideas, but still confused and not in Enroth!!!

GrayFace
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby GrayFace » 08 Aug 2009, 00:03

dalesangelface wrote:Oh and for who recommended installing a newer version of the game, where do I find that, and what steps do I take (do I just install it on top of the other one?)
Here for example. Backup files in the game folder and run the installation.
My patches: MM6 MM7 MM8. MMExtension. Tools. Also, I love Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground. I'm also known as sergroj.

dalesangelface
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby dalesangelface » 08 Aug 2009, 00:14

GrayFace wrote:
dalesangelface wrote:Oh and for who recommended installing a newer version of the game, where do I find that, and what steps do I take (do I just install it on top of the other one?)
Here for example. Backup files in the game folder and run the installation.

I honestly apologize for being pretty blond about all this, but when you say back up files in the game folder do you mean all the files except for the .exe? Because I still have no idea where to find the saves folder.

I have the link, thanks so much, and if anyone can help me find my saved games I'll be golden!

To clarify, I'm scared of losing my saved game and I can't find my saved game folder.

dalesangelface
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby dalesangelface » 08 Aug 2009, 00:21

OK. For the record, I AM blond.

I went and looked at the patches listed on the site I was led to, thank you very very much for that link, and I picked one that installs on top of the current game. I did it, and guess what?! I can place my memory crystal now!!!!

My problem is solved, thanks everyone for suggestions ideas and help, and I'm so grateful I can go kick some Castle Kriegspire butt now (actually I hate that castle but I'd rather be in there hating it then not in there wishin I could be in there hating it LOL)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I love this site, and the people here, for being so helpful and getting me back into my game!!!! THanks again :):):):):):)

Return to “Might and Magic”