Might & Magic VI - Special vs. Limited Edition

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
rubiconiii
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Might & Magic VI - Special vs. Limited Edition

Unread postby rubiconiii » 11 Oct 2011, 17:04

Is there any difference between the two versions? - Special vs. Limited Edition.

I'm afraid that only one of them has the cloth map of Enroth, which I want.
Also I want to buy the box in mint, preferably - therefore I can't really ask the seller if the map is made of paper or cloth...

So my immediate thought was the fact, that someone inhere ought to know for sure.

TIA

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 11 Oct 2011, 18:36

Unless you're a collector, you're better off saving your money. Most compilations out there are marked up outrageously. I remember when Millennium and Platinum were only $20, and now they're pushing $50. I think I have Limited Edition, which has no cloth map, and you get 2 CD-ROMs with MMs 1 though 6 on them. You probably need Windows XP or earlier to run these. I remember I used to play MM3 on an old Win 98 in my basement. Fun times, but if you're more interested in the game itself, you might as well buy it on GOG.

DaveO
Demon
Demon

Unread postby DaveO » 11 Oct 2011, 19:50

I got a copy of Limited Edition for $20. Good Old Games now also has the same content for half the price(with the exception of the cloth map). I can't advise paying three to five times the cost of the GoG M&M pack just for the map.
I'd rather be part bull than a complete sheep.

jorgamesh
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby jorgamesh » 12 Oct 2011, 14:47

US standard first edition from 1998 also comes with a cloth map.

thrakk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby thrakk » 13 Oct 2011, 02:03

I have the cloth map of Enroth pinned to my bedroom wall (I'm a bachelor). The other nice thing about this edition is that you get maps for all the previous games as well

rubiconiii
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby rubiconiii » 19 Oct 2011, 23:13

According to this site:
http://mocagh.org/loadpage.php?getcompa ... gic+Series

...there is a difference between the two editions - Special Ed. having a paper map and Limited Ed. a cloth map - Can anyone confirm or invalidate this by possessing a game that from sealed contained either type of map.

I have already a poster map of Enroth from the discount edition (there was no better versions in the store) I bought back then... - now that I can afford it, I desire to get my hands on the cloth map. That piece would mean a lot to me, as I was introduced to the game through a friend of a friend and he had the cloth map that I borrowed while playing the game - still today I get nostalgic whenever I think of the game or listen to the music. I have played the game in depth several times. :)
Today I have no contact to him nor did I notice which version he had. :(

Though I've played VI to VIII alot and IX a bit, I've never really had the excuse to play I to V, but that would be different if I had them at hand in let's say a better version than the ones I currently "own", being without any documentation or maps.

Spin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Spin » 20 Oct 2011, 21:55

Im almost the same situation as you. Played MM6 multiple times as well as 7 and 8, just can't get into the older style games since they don't feel as open and as nice.

The limited edition is really special if you're an MM fan. The cloth maps are pretty cool and I remember getting a fairly big box with the game too. Not really much that matters today lol but still MM6 is one of my favourite RPGs ever

vmxa
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

limited edition

Unread postby vmxa » 08 Nov 2011, 18:04

I remember buying MM6 that came in a very large box. I do not have the box, but I still have all the maps. One is cloth and one is paper.

I have several other maps, a few look like Xeen to me. I know I bought 4 and 5 and I think they combined for clouds of Xeen. I am not sure as I bought them for my son and never played them.

Secret_Holder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Secret_Holder » 09 Nov 2011, 18:55

It would probably be cheaper to buy a piece of cloth and have a printer print the map on the cloth for you.

Torur
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Torur » 10 Nov 2011, 08:44

Secret_Holder wrote:It would probably be cheaper to buy a piece of cloth and have a printer print the map on the cloth for you.
lol... Not really the same though is it?

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 20 Nov 2011, 00:21

Secret_Holder wrote:It would probably be cheaper to buy a piece of cloth and have a printer print the map on the cloth for you.
wouldnt that be more expensive? i am sure a printer wants more cash then what the random guy on ebay wants for his boxed game.

and the only difference AFAIK (since ive had both at one time) was the Limited Edition have hologram CD, MM1-5 (no printed maps) and a small figurine, while the Special Edition got the cloth map, strategy guide, MM1-5 + printed maps and hologram CD.

so the diff is figurine vs strategy guide/MM6 cloth map/MM1-5 paper maps.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

Return to “Might and Magic”