Might & Magic X: Character Races?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).

What playable races would you like to see in M&MX?

Angel
11%
Dark Elf
15%
Dragon
11%
Dwarf
13%
Genie
9%
Goblin
2%
Jackal
5%
Lizardman
15%
Minotaur
4%
Orc / Half-Orc
9%
Sprite
7%

Total votes: 55

Torur
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Torur » 21 Sep 2011, 12:40

XEL II wrote:
Torur wrote:DWARF!!!
You must always have a dwarf on your team or else your screwed. They are the most important characters to be able to play in any fantasy game.
Dwarves weren't playable in MM 6 and 8, and both these games are pretty damn good :) (well, except the former, which is not good, but excellent)
Indeed they were good, but you just always have the feeling that something is missing when you dont have a short tempered short mand with a long beard shouting and swinging a battleaxe. A must in all RPG's.

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 21 Sep 2011, 13:13

Deus Ex didn't have dwarves. Final Fantasy didn't have dwarves. Hellgate: London didn't have dwarves.

Torur
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Torur » 21 Sep 2011, 14:12

hatsforclowns wrote:Deus Ex didn't have dwarves. Final Fantasy didn't have dwarves. Hellgate: London didn't have dwarves.
And what do you think was missing in all those games...?

Btw, RPG's in modern times don't count. We are talking medieval like fantasy/ sci-fi.

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 21 Sep 2011, 17:06

Torur wrote:
hatsforclowns wrote:Deus Ex didn't have dwarves. Final Fantasy didn't have dwarves. Hellgate: London didn't have dwarves.
And what do you think was missing in all those games...?

Btw, RPG's in modern times don't count. We are talking medieval like fantasy/ sci-fi.
If we want to see fantasy RPG then Elder scroll series don't have dwarves, if we dont count dwemer which were sort of dwarves , but still they wernt playable.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 21 Sep 2011, 17:24

Yes, I can't agree with you Torur, it's pretty inarguable that Dwarves are the most unnecessary race there is, because the bad smell of cliché clings to them like superglue. It's extraordinarily rare that anyone does anything different with them beyond the vertically-challenged, tunnel-dwelling, beer-swilling, beard-sporting Scotsmen they show up as 98% of the time.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 21 Sep 2011, 18:00

Corlagon wrote:Yes, I can't agree with you Torur, it's pretty inarguable that Dwarves are the most unnecessary race there is, because the bad smell of cliché clings to them like superglue. It's extraordinarily rare that anyone does anything different with them beyond the vertically-challenged, tunnel-dwelling, beer-swilling, beard-sporting Scotsmen they show up as 98% of the time.
Crag Hack the Ultimate Adventurer highly disapproves :D
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 21 Sep 2011, 20:45

Corlagon wrote:Yes, I can't agree with you Torur, it's pretty inarguable that Dwarves are the most unnecessary race there is, because the bad smell of cliché clings to them like superglue. It's extraordinarily rare that anyone does anything different with them beyond the vertically-challenged, tunnel-dwelling, beer-swilling, beard-sporting Scotsmen they show up as 98% of the time.
Hey, it's not their fault that Our Dwarves Are All The Same.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 21 Sep 2011, 21:13

Jesus GreatEmerald, have mercy. You've contracted Slayer of Cliffracers' syndrome. :P

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 21 Sep 2011, 23:55

GreatEmerald wrote:
Hey, it's not their fault that Our Dwarves Are All The Same.
Which really isn't exactly the case in Might and Magic. Terran dwarves are the prime example. Not to mention that there are a lot of male dwarves who are not only not bearded, but don't have significant facial hair at all :)
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 22 Sep 2011, 01:36

I've noticed that Genie hasn't received many votes. Are players uninterested for some reason, or do other character races just have more appeal?

vladimir-maestro
Genie
Genie

Unread postby vladimir-maestro » 22 Sep 2011, 13:44

hatsforclowns wrote: Didn't stop elves and dwarves from travelling together, or goblins and elves in MM7, or clerics and necromancers in MM8. Not to mention any other clases and/or species/subspecies in any of the MM games. If those can, then I'm pretty sure even angels and devils can suck it up and deal with their differences.
do not equalize mm and tolkien! elves and dwarves from mm are not enemies! they could leave peacefully. the same for goblins, btw in mm7 playable race is HALF-GOBLIN, not a pure goblin.

cleric and necromancer are enemies but light and darkness are only a lore - all magic could became danger and bring both war or peace - all this depends of the user and his will. + NWC couldn't find how to call this class with dark magic :-)

i case of deamons and angel - demons are always evil-kinded creatures, evilness are in their nature and they do not care about mortals. the same for the angel - honoric and proud angel won't fit in party of lowest life forms, mortal creatures. imho.
You can contact me here:
maestro_mod@yahoo.com
vladud @ yandex.ru - preferred one
---
Site about MODs: http://www.mmgames.ru
---
if you wish to upload some materials for this site - let me know.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 22 Sep 2011, 14:08

Some Final Fantasy games do have dwarfs. Lalli-ho! :D
More recent FF games don't have any of the classic fantasy races (elves, orcs, etc.) I don't know about the online versions, however (11, 14).
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 22 Sep 2011, 14:11

vladimir-maestro wrote:angel - honoric and proud angel won't fit in party of lowest life forms, mortal creatures. imho.
Pride is a sin, my son. Go and sin no more.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 22 Sep 2011, 14:20

FF 11 and 14 neither, iirc.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 22 Sep 2011, 14:43

vladimir-maestro wrote:btw in mm7 playable race is HALF-GOBLIN, not a pure goblin.
Where did you get this from? The race is called "Goblin", without "half". There were playable Half-Orcs in MM 1-5, but in MM7 there are goblins in MM7. They're never called half-goblins and in complexion they look basically the same as goblin mobs and NPCs.
vladimir-maestro wrote:i case of deamons and angel - demons are always evil-kinded creatures, evilness are in their nature and they do not care about mortals.
There is at least one obviously demon trainer in MM5. Besides, if properly expained, demons and angels would fit perfectly as "special addition" PCs in the party through hireling system.

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 22 Sep 2011, 15:12

Qurqirish Dragon wrote:
Some Final Fantasy games do have dwarfs. Lalli-ho! :D
More recent FF games don't have any of the classic fantasy races (elves, orcs, etc.) I don't know about the online versions, however (11, 14).
Oh, which one?

I stopped playing after FF9, IMHO the best of the series! After FF9 it just went downhill ... fast!

* FF9 -- the greatest
* FF7, 6, and 4 -- only very, very, very, very, very slightly below 9; these plus FF9 make for one hell of a series!
* FF8, and 3 -- sort of meh
* I haven't played FF2 and 1 yet

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 22 Sep 2011, 15:20

vladimir-maestro wrote:
hatsforclowns wrote: Didn't stop elves and dwarves from travelling together, or goblins and elves in MM7, or clerics and necromancers in MM8. Not to mention any other clases and/or species/subspecies in any of the MM games. If those can, then I'm pretty sure even angels and devils can suck it up and deal with their differences.
do not equalize mm and tolkien! elves and dwarves from mm are not enemies! they could leave peacefully. the same for goblins, btw in mm7 playable race is HALF-GOBLIN, not a pure goblin.

cleric and necromancer are enemies but light and darkness are only a lore - all magic could became danger and bring both war or peace - all this depends of the user and his will. + NWC couldn't find how to call this class with dark magic :-)

i case of deamons and angel - demons are always evil-kinded creatures, evilness are in their nature and they do not care about mortals. the same for the angel - honoric and proud angel won't fit in party of lowest life forms, mortal creatures. imho.
Are you sure?

When attacking the player party, enemies usually go for their preferred race/class first. Elves, dwarves, and goblins usually dislike each other ... though I can't remember the exact combinations.

The point is, race or base class is usually not a problem in MM, so there is nothing stopping an Angel and Devil travelling together in the player party. Only in MM7 (ligth/dark) and MM8 (cleric/necromancer, dragons/dragon hunters) do you have to chose between sides. And even there it is only "sort of, kinda, hnnn .... not really," as you can still mix NPCs of all kinds. All the other games, AFAIK, are quite liberal with races, classes, and promotions.

If you really want to have limitations, the only logical thing (for an MM game) would be to allow hirelings of any kind, but limit promotions. Thus if you choose to GM your Angel, you can never GM any Devils.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 22 Sep 2011, 16:06

hatsforclowns wrote: Oh, which one?

I stopped playing after FF9, IMHO the best of the series! After FF9 it just went downhill ... fast!
Hum, Lalli-ho seemed to be from FF3, iirc, some dwarves you met in your journey. They are rather simple-minded in their speech, just like moogles, kupo.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 26 Sep 2011, 16:19

Update!

Mandatory Races:
1. Human
2. Elf

Additional Races (by rank; chosen by you!):
1. Lizardman
2. Dwarf
3. Dark Elf
4. Angel
5. Dragon

Remaining Races:
1. Orc / Half-Orc
2. Sprite
3. Genie

Excluded Races:
1. Minotaur
2. Anubis
3. Goblin

If anyone would like to bump some of the remaining or excluded races up into the cue, please help us collect more votes!

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 28 Sep 2011, 18:28

Voted for lizards.
Also I don't think that races such as angels or dragons would fit as a PCs
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

Return to “Might and Magic”