Few MM6 Questions

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Few MM6 Questions

Unread postby Anubis » 08 Sep 2011, 10:36

Hey, I've been a long-time fan of the M&M series since 1998, and I'm currently playing "The Chaos Conspiracy" mod, which is very well-done, by the way.

Anyway, I've a few questions:

1) "Of Shielding" - I've heard this reduces ranged attack dmg by 50% - does this include ranged magical attacks? (i.e. Dragon Breath, Fireball, Rock Blast) Probably not... (For MM6)

2) Luck attribute - The higher your luck attribute, the higher chance you have of resisting (or avoiding?) magical attacks - is this right? (For MM6)

3) Rock Blast attacks from enemies (I refer to Pygmy Jotmars and Goliaths) - I'm assuming Rock Blast is considered an Earth spell - Since there's no Earth Resistance category in MM6, I'm assuming the higher your "Magic Resistance", the higher your resistance to magical attacks, including Rock Blast. Correct? (For MM6 Mod - Chaos Conspiracy)

4) Chaos Conspiracy - "The Ultimate Treasure" - "And one tin soldier rides away" - I take it this is in reference to the song, where the "ultimate treasure" is actually >>peace on Nimradur<<. I assume there's no 'actual' treasure to be found from the obelisk quest, then? Just the 300k exp.

5) Chaos Conspiracy - Thumbelina Thumb Hourglass Quest - Can't finish this quest - dialogue option to give the hourglass back to NPC doesn't exist. Is this just a local quest? Doesn't tie in to any 'main plot' or anything, does it?

I think that's all the questions for now. If I've posted this in the wrong forum category, sorry. B-)

Tress
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby Tress » 08 Sep 2011, 17:10

1) No, only supposed to work against regular ranged attacks. Also think it was bugged somewhat.
2) Not sure about magical attacks. Most notably it allows avoid trap damage.
3) If I remember correctly mm6 have somewhat different magic schools. There is fire. electricity, poison,frost,magic . So not always resistance from same schools protect from same schools spells. Rock was fire damage I think, not 100% sure though.
4/5 Havent played cc too much so wont be able to comment.

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 08 Sep 2011, 20:13

Yeah, the reason I ask about "Of Shielding" is because I'm wondering whether I should keep the Valeria shield artifact in MM6 (Since it's +30 Acc and 'Of Shielding') but if arrows are the only thing that shield is going to shield against (including melee), then I'm probably going to stick with my 'Of the Gods' shield instead.

I did read somewhere else on this forum that Rock Blast is considered a physical attack, making it a 'ranged' type of attack. If that's the case, then I might keep the Valeria shield.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 08 Sep 2011, 20:21

2) Yes, definitely. Luck is a direct modifier to all your Resistance stats, although it doesn't show up in the stats screen. It also helps you avoid status ailments, if I recall correctly.
3) Wasn't it Physical, thus impossible to avoid?

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 08 Sep 2011, 21:07

lol, I just did some testing (killed all my party members except for my Cleric who could use the shield and swapped between Valeria and Olympian Shield of the Gods) and averaged the damage dealt to me from arrows. The numbers were pretty much the same, so I guess the "Of Shielding" enchantment on Valeria is pretty much next to useless. The only good thing about that shield is the +30 Accuracy, but I'd take an "Of the Gods" enchantment over that any day.

Just did some more testing. I threw on an Elven Cloak of Shielding with Olympian Shield of the Gods. Damage from arrows ranged between 3-10 dmg, and the average dmg dealt to me was 5-6 dmg, which was considerably lower than the average of 10-12 dmg dealt to me while I had both Valeria/Olympian Shield of the Gods on.

I guess that means the Valeria enchantment doesn't work at all. At least, it doesn't for me.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 09 Sep 2011, 00:12

1. Should only work against arrows. Which makes it pretty useless in regular MM6 except against Lizardmen. The spell is much more useful in MM7 where alot more monsters shoot arrows.
2. Yes.
3. No, Rock Blast is physical damage. It's pretty much exactly what it sounds like - it blasts a rock into someone's face. You want AC to defend from it.
I guess that means the Valeria enchantment doesn't work at all. At least, it doesn't for me.
That seems to be the case.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

UndeadHalfOrc
Cyber Zombie
Cyber Zombie

Re: Few MM6 Questions

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 09 Sep 2011, 01:39

>>>>
1) "Of Shielding" - I've heard this reduces ranged attack dmg by 50% - does this include ranged magical attacks? (i.e. Dragon Breath, Fireball, Rock Blast) Probably not... (For MM6)

In MM6: arrows only.
In MM7 and MM8: due to a bug, "of Shielding" and "of the storm" also halves ranged ELEMENTAL projectile attacks, ie: colored projectiles that aren't actual spells. GM Shield also does this.

Completely overpowered enchantment. I use a save game editor to remove it because of this (and replace "Of the Storm" with a plain 20 air resistance)

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 09 Sep 2011, 20:05

Macros the Black wrote:3. No, Rock Blast is physical damage. It's pretty much exactly what it sounds like - it blasts a rock into someone's face. You want AC to defend from it.
AC is a chance to hit modifier and Rock Blast is still classified as a spell, and spells have a 100% chance to hit, so AC shouldn't help there. Unless the rock is in fact classified as an arrow, which would be odd.

jeff

Re: Few MM6 Questions

Unread postby jeff » 09 Sep 2011, 22:01

Anubis wrote: 5) Chaos Conspiracy - Thumbelina Thumb Hourglass Quest - Can't finish this quest - dialogue option to give the hourglass back to NPC doesn't exist. Is this just a local quest? Doesn't tie in to any 'main plot' or anything, does it?
It is a local quest and does not impact your ability to finish. I checked the screenshot BDJ sent me while I was writing the Local Quest Guide and there is no dialogue box to return the hourglass, and I don't know if it disappears from your inventory, but it was meant to. The dialogue box missing was an oversight, but you do receive the reward which was the gold.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Anubis
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Anubis » 12 Sep 2011, 20:11

Hey, I just wanted to thank all of you for the speedy responses. So, thanks. =)

Return to “Might and Magic”